ADVERTISEMENT

NHL approves a team in Vegas

NoleMoreTears

Seminole Insider
Oct 21, 2002
First major sport there.

For those who didn't know, Vegas has long been a haven of retired hockey players, word has it some of the club/league games there are legendary.

Not sure how attendance and such will do, you've got Phoenix reeling, Anaheim and LA do decent but the fans are flighty. Bettman loves to push the envelope with his business strategies, we'll see how this one goes.

Hockey will do awesome in Vegas. First you have a huge amount of transplants that actually live in Vegas that will take to hockey. Then you have a huge amounts of visitors from everywhere who will partake. Just like here in Florida, there are huge amounts of Canadians who will schedule their vacations based on when their teams are playing the Bolts and Panthers. They are going to come to Florida anyway, they might as well go to a game to see their team where tickets are cheaper than home. I have talked to many visitors that actually will go to both games on the Florida swing for their team and see both Miami and Tampa on their trips. Lastly, you have a city that has been starving for a pro sports franchise of any kind. This will just be the start of it. The only thing that could really hurt them is if the NFL decides to move a team into town before the NHL team really has a chance to get a foot hold. This is what happened in Nashville. The Preds moved in and the Titans soon followed. Nashville has taken pretty well to the Preds now, but it took a while.

I like having a team there as well. This is a bold move that could really pay off for the NHL.

I didn't know that nugget about men's league in Vegas, that's awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT