ADVERTISEMENT

Nike stock soaring

If they make them out to look anything like our Nike uniforms and logo, they will go bankrupt overnight!

Reactions: Scalphunter
They are FSUs official apparel company

Hurray! I love supporting child labor and paying $100 for shoes made for $5.

To quote the great Flight of the Conchords

"They're turning kids into slaves
Just to make cheaper sneakers
But what is the real cost
Cause the shoes don't seem that much cheaper

Why are we still paying so much for sneakers
When you got them made by little slave kids
What are your overheads?"

Only brand of athletic shoes I buy. Bought my kids UA football cleats one year and they fell apart within a month. Haven't bought any other type of cleats since.

Nike is dead to my wife. Our daughter played two years of high school soccer barefooted until Adidas came to town.

I prefer my Google stock...
They don't employ nearly enough underpaid impoverished youth for my taste. Their business seems a little silly to me, predicated on some fad called "the internet".

So glad FSU employees are stoked about nike stock value, like they think we get a piece of it or something.

I may be in the minority but I prefer Adidas and Under Armour better.

My mom used to own a small local sporting goods store chain back in the late 70s through early 90s, and she instilled a hatred of Nike for me early. Unlike every other shoe company that was out at the time New Balance, Reebok, Adidas, British Knights, Roos, and more...Nike went out of its way to eff over the little guy. Other shoe companies would do joint advertising, help with pricing margins etc... But Nike would have set maximum prices and very high purchase prices that meant her margins were so small it wasn't worth her time to carry them. Then they WOULD do much better prices for the big shoe stores and department stores and put in big PR campaigns that forced people to go to the aforementioned big stores.

So that's one reason, I only rock the New Balance to this day (but I found that Roos still technically exist and bought my wife some sweet pink ones that would fit in perfectly back in the 80s for her Jem and other 80s costumes).

How is winn-dixie's stock doing?

Probably in the sink, held WD for years. It used to give great dividends. Istarted buying it because my neighbor told me it was a great deal at $8 something, sold at $25ish it went to the 30s and then collapsed. I had Nike stock that I held since the mid 90s when it was in the 20s, sold at $80. Dumb move

They don't employ nearly enough underpaid impoverished youth for my taste. Their business seems a little silly to me, predicated on some fad called "the internet".

So glad FSU employees are stoked about nike stock value, like they think we get a piece of it or something.

I'm not stoked, I'm bummed i didn't keep it. Haven't followed it since I sold my few shares so this article made me a little sick.

It's interesting to me how agriculture and the other types of jobs people escape to work in factories don't get considered 'sweat shops'.
Are you downplaying the 'sweat shop' nature of these nike jobs or saying many poorly paid agriculture jobs ought to also be included under the umbrella of reprehensible worker conditions?
Couldn't tell but wanted to clarify.

Are you downplaying the 'sweat shop' nature of these nike jobs or saying many poorly paid agriculture jobs ought to also be included under the umbrella of reprehensible worker conditions?
Couldn't tell but wanted to clarify.

I just don't understand how no one seems to notice the 'sweat shop' nature of most employment people are fleeing in order to have jobs like these.
Sweat over a rice paddy with a bamboo rake, or sweat in a factory with better pay?
I appreciate that my beans are in the shade, but I also get amusement from Apple fanboys decrying Chinese sweat shops...

I just don't understand how no one seems to notice the 'sweat shop' nature of most employment people are fleeing in order to have jobs like these.
Sweat over a rice paddy with a bamboo rake, or sweat in a factory with better pay?
I appreciate that my beans are in the shade, but I also get amusement from Apple fanboys decrying Chinese sweat shops...
They are both backbreaking, underpaid, underprotected groups of workers. Decrying sweatshop factory conditions isn't a slight or denial that farming conditions aren't as bad if not significantly worse - and in fact it's perhaps even more embarrassing b/c those conditions are allowed to exist on US soil as opposed to Bangladesh, China, or Vietnam.

They are both backbreaking, underpaid, underprotected groups of workers. Decrying sweatshop factory conditions isn't a slight or denial that farming conditions aren't as bad if not significantly worse and in fact it's perhaps even more embarrassing b/c those conditions are allowed to exist on US soil as opposed to Bangladesh, China, or Vietnam.

'Underpaid' is subjective. People aren't leaving farms and heading to sweat shops looking for a pay cut.

Question for those more evolved souls on here who are critical of Nike's labor practices, what do you wear on your feet? Do you make your own shoes, perhaps? Or, maybe you found a kindly shoemaker who produces shoes for you using locally sourced rubber and renewable plastic? Do tell! The great unwashed need your guidance please. Tell us, what would be morally acceptable to you? You are our pole star!

Reactions: Urban Cryer
Question for those more evolved souls on here who are critical of Nike's labor practices, what do you wear on your feet? Do you make your own shoes, perhaps? Or, maybe you found a kindly shoemaker who produces shoes for you using locally sourced rubber and renewable plastic? Do tell! The great unwashed need your guidance please. Tell us, what would be morally acceptable to you? You are our pole star!

New Balance. They still employ a fair amount of American factories and their Chinese factories (after a PR debacle in 2006) pay a "living wage" of $1.50 an hour or more and doesn't have child slaves versus the Nike POS company that in their "expensive" Taiwanese factories pays $0.50 an hour to go with the beatings and rapes while the Indonesian slave children are sometimes paid less than a quarter a day. While New Balance shouldn't be construed as "good" as they employ a lot of Chinese adult slaves that's far less on the bad karma scale than Nike and Reebok.

http://www.thegoodshoppingguide.com/ethical-shoes-and-trainers/

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/07/13/267520/nike-workers-humiliation/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT