ADVERTISEMENT

No more left lane dawdling!

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
Among the new laws in Florida as of January 1 is the “Move Over” law which means motorists can no longer just sit in the left lane cruising along at 70 mph (if that).
It’s not really awful on the Interstates unless one truck is trying to pass another doing 70 and they’re trying to pass going 71, but is more common on local highways and is a royal pain.
We’ll see how effective it is.

Reactions: BrianNole777
You can never find anyone that will admit to doing this even though anyone who has driven a car has witnessed it. I doubt the law will change anything. Texting and driving is illegal too yet it’s quite prevalent.

It's not just semis. On interstates with three lanes in each direction and most of Florida they're prohibited from far left lane.

I almost flipped the guy off this past weekend driving to Atlanta. A four-lane highway no car for a mile behind or a mile ahead and he's driving the exact same speed as the guy next to him which was a few miles an hour under the speed limit He wouldn't move forward he wouldn't move back. Finally the guy on the right decided to pull forward a bit so I cut to the Right lane accelerated quickly cut back to the left lane. This was after following him for a couple of miles with him not budging. I actually did give him the finger and he gave me something back.

Other instances I found left lane campers speeding up when I went to pass them on the right. This is when it's good to have a fast car.

Well, driving to work today I don't think people in south Florida have read the memo. Also, I don't understand why you would pay for the express lanes at 6am just to do the speed limit?

Last edited:
It's not just semis. On interstates with three lanes in each direction and most of Florida they're prohibited from far left lane.

I almost flipped the guy off this past weekend driving to Atlanta. A four-lane highway no car for a mile behind or a mile ahead and he's driving the exact same speed as the guy next to him which was a few miles an hour under the speed limit He wouldn't move forward he wouldn't move back. Finally the guy on the right decided to pull forward a bit so I cut to the Right lane accelerated quickly cut back to the left lane. This was after following him for a couple of miles with him not budging. I actually did give him the finger and he gave me something back.

Other instances I found left lane campers speeding up when I went to pass them on the right. This is when it's good to have a fast car.
The ones that speed up must have really small jimmies. Must make them feel even smaller when they cant even keep up there. Poor little guys.

My Dad was a notorious left laner and it drove my Mom crazy.
He did it because he claimed the white line on the left was easier for him to see and judge if he was sufficiently in his lane. That drove Mom even crazier because she said if that was truly the case he needed to pull over and let HER drive cause he was probably too blind to be driving in the first place.
They were married for 60+ years. We all started calling them the “Bickersons” cause that was all they did as they got older. 😂

Last edited:
The Euros might have the right idea on this. The left lane is for passing and/or going like a bat out hell on the Autobahn. You almost never see anyone passing on the right.

The Euros might have the right idea on this. The left lane is for passing and/or going like a bat out hell on the Autobahn. You almost never see anyone passing on the right.
It's actually illegal to pass on the right in Germany.

Reactions: F4Gary
When I'm driving my motorhome, if traffic is extremely light and the right lane is a bumpy mess, I'll cruise in the left lane and get over when I see someone coming up behind me.
I-40 westbound out of Flagstaff is horrible in the right lane. I-80 up over Donner Pass is the same.
Tire chains do a lot of damage.

I thought that law was already on the books. Maybe it's just that it wasn't enforceable yet.
It is. The new move over law expands moving over for all vehicles on the shoulder, not just emergency vehicles.

Unfortunately, that covers few highways in Florida.

Generally speaking, this rule means that tractor trailers and other commercial trucks are allowed to drive in the leftmost lane on most Florida highways. The left lane restriction is present only on certain sections of I-95 and I-75. State highways are not encompassed by these restrictions, and trucks can travel in the leftmost lane on these roadways

Unfortunately, that covers few highways in Florida.

Generally speaking, this rule means that tractor trailers and other commercial trucks are allowed to drive in the leftmost lane on most Florida highways. The left lane restriction is present only on certain sections of I-95 and I-75. State highways are not encompassed by these restrictions, and trucks can travel in the leftmost lane on these roadways
They are bound by it on I-10 too. Steady stream of them hauling containers out of the Port of Jacksonville and we still only have two lanes all the way to Tally (and beyond)

They are bound by it on I-10 too. Steady stream of them hauling containers out of the Port of Jacksonville and we still only have two lanes all the way to Tally (and beyond)
Only when there are three lanes on each side. So, that would be some in Jax, Tallahassee and Pensacola, right?

You’re correct. And boy do they freak out when they see it here😎
I did it once out of necessity to avoid a truck in the middle lane. Dude in the left lane was so mad he followed me until I stopped and said he had reported me to the Politzei. I just said Danke and walked off but he was smoking mad.

I did it once out of necessity to avoid a truck in the middle lane. Dude in the left lane was so mad he followed me until I stopped and said he had reported me to the Politzei. I just said Danke and walked off but he was smoking mad.
If people try to do what that dude did here, especially on I-285 around Atlanta, they'll get shot.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
Unfortunately, this is just another unenforceable law on the books. Locals and out of towners passing through will continue to do it.

I drive a big truck. The Indians are notorious for faking slow passing someone. My truck is governed at 75 and them jokers pass me then get next to a slow truck and pass them 1 mph faster. I’m going to get me one of them one day. They won’t be the first I’ve smoked in my lifetime. Them jokers are all over YouTube getting their butts whooped at truck stops. It’s really annoying when one of them passes a Prime truck at 68 or 69 when you know he can run 80 or more. They want you to get triggered. Lots of times the cops walk away when it’s one of them that got their just dessert!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
If people try to do what that dude did here, especially on I-285 around Atlanta, they'll get shot.
Europeans are not particularly threatening even when angry. It’s actually comical.

Driving to work today there was a truck slowing down traffic in the express lanes. When I finally got close enough to pass, I see its FedEx and my ex-husband was driving. After I passed him honking my horn (just to be an Ahole), I called and asked him why he was doing the speed limit and messing up my commute. He told me his truck only goes 66 mph and he is timed on his trip to and from the airport. He didn't realize the car honking was mine and was super pissed. So my Friday started out fabulous! :cool:

I know, CSB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT