ADVERTISEMENT

Wildfire season is coming

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
and indications are that it could be another bad one. With more and more homes being built in the interface of forest/open land/wilderness, the protection of those homes becomes tougher. We took a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday and the amount of grass now visible in forested areas is worrisome.
Invasive grasses were the critical non native element in the destructive fires in Hawaii.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/21/climate/wildfire-grass-risk-west-us/index.html
CNN —
A ubiquitous, resilient and seemingly harmless plant is fueling an increase in large, fast-moving and destructive wildfires in the United States.

Grass is as plentiful as sunshine, and under the right weather conditions is like gasoline for wildfires: All it takes is a spark for it to explode.

Planet-warming emissions are wreaking havoc on temperature and precipitation, resulting in larger and more frequent fires. Those fires are fueling the vicious cycle of ecological destruction that are helping to make grass king.

Last edited:
I was taking a walk out in the hills this morning, and I noticed all the grass from the rains was starting to dry out and pile up. Even in my backyard, I am clearing piles and piles of dried grass. It definitely puts a pit in my stomach regarding the summer and the fires that are likely coming.

I was taking a walk out in the hills this morning, and I noticed all the grass from the rains was starting to dry out and pile up. Even in my backyard, I am clearing piles and piles of dried grass. It definitely puts a pit in my stomach regarding the summer and the fires that are likely coming.
Yep. The rainy season encourages big growth and the residual dried grass is ripe for incineration. I won’t pretend to know how much of the grass there is of historical presence, or more recently “transferred” to the region. Be vigilant in keeping a safe zone without fuel near structures.
On the way inland to visit my nephew in Lompoc, the grassy hillsides are beautiful, but alarmingly, the power lines out there are old and often the poles lean scarily close to the grassy hillsides.

In my area in the Appalachian mountains, we are experiencing rapid spread of nursery and landscape encouraged grasses, perhaps the worst being “pampas grass” types.
They spread in particular along interstates and other “wide open” to sun roadways and power line right of ways. From there it moves into other areas and is becoming problematic in helping fuel wildfires, but moreso in crowding out native species.
The US Dept of Ag has “blessed” us with many problems including first honeysuckle, then kudzu, on to multiflora rose, and the list grows… Meanwhile the nursery industry promotes significant introduction of non native species that often become problematic. Cough cough, Bradford fudging Pears, cough, cough.

• Haha
Reactions: noletaire
That area around Lompoc is gorgeous. When I have the luxury of taking the long way between LA and the Bay Area, I always plan to make a stop over there. You are right about the hills being both beautiful and alarming right now.

Out here, the black mustard is one of the most problematic invasive species. The damn Franciscans planted it to mark their El Camino Real when they were establishing the mission system, and it has taken over much of countryside, especially in those same wide open roadways and right of ways. It makes for the spectacular "superblooms," while also choking out almost all of the native plants. We have made progress on rehabilitating a lot of the urban spaces to replace the non-native eucalyptus, palms, etc., but getting rid of that black mustard feels hopeless, like getting rid of kudzu in the south.

Reactions: billanole
and indications are that it could be another bad one. With more and more homes being built in the interface of forest/open land/wilderness, the protection of those homes becomes tougher. We took a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday and the amount of grass now visible in forested areas is worrisome.
Invasive grasses were the critical non native element in the destructive fires in Hawaii.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/21/climate/wildfire-grass-risk-west-us/index.html
CNN —
A ubiquitous, resilient and seemingly harmless plant is fueling an increase in large, fast-moving and destructive wildfires in the United States.

Grass is as plentiful as sunshine, and under the right weather conditions is like gasoline for wildfires: All it takes is a spark for it to explode.

Planet-warming emissions are wreaking havoc on temperature and precipitation, resulting in larger and more frequent fires. Those fires are fueling the vicious cycle of ecological destruction that are helping to make grass king.
So, what is the increase in these grasses attributed to? Land clearing would be one I would guess. Not controlling the non-native species would be another. You can't control the weather or the climate, but you can decrease the amount of fuel available to the fires along with preventing the spark. The fires in Hawaii while attributed to the storms, high winds and invasive grasses was sparked by a transformer that blew over in the high winds. Maybe turn the power off or improve the infrastructure as a prevention measure.

So, what is the increase in these grasses attributed to? Land clearing would be one I would guess. Not controlling the non-native species would be another. You can't control the weather or the climate, but you can decrease the amount of fuel available to the fires along with preventing the spark. The fires in Hawaii while attributed to the storms, high winds and invasive grasses was sparked by a transformer that blew over in the high winds. Maybe turn the power off or improve the infrastructure as a prevention measure.
Underground.

Interesting read on wildfires and how long they have been around for. Also, another article on numbers of fires in the US since 1983.

Underground.
My understanding is that the process of moving electric transmission underground is very expensive and complicated due to geography and widespread seismic/faultline activity outside of the cities and due to traffic disruption and housing density within the cities. PG&E has said that they are working to move as much underground as possible, but the trade-off is the massive rate hikes that those customers have been getting in northern California.

The preemptive shutting down of the grid in high risk areas during high wind events, seems to have helped some in recent years. In my time here, I have seen nearly constant work on upgrading the utility infrastructure with almost no interruption of service, which has been impressive. Hopefully, we get lucky and have another mild year this year and can make some additional headway.

More and more development interfacing with wilderness. Houses are built in places that bump up against ground that needs to periodically burn, but now requires fire protection. More and more roadways/right of ways pushing into wilderness/undeveloped ground.
More and more landscape company/ Us Dept of Ag promoted non native species.
Less folks working the land and therefore “patrolling” their ground.
Stopping fires in wilderness areas has resulted in huge fuel loads building up, waiting for the chance to explode.

I give many props to my mid 80’s dendrology instructor Rick Lyndsey. He predicted that grasses and non woody herbaceous shrubs would take over our landscape. He also suggested that fire would dominate once again. Woodlands are at peril in this scenario.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the process of moving electric transmission underground is very expensive and complicated due to geography and widespread seismic/faultline activity outside of the cities and due to traffic disruption and housing density within the cities. PG&E has said that they are working to move as much underground as possible, but the trade-off is the massive rate hikes that those customers have been getting in northern California.

The preemptive shutting down of the grid in high risk areas during high wind events, seems to have helped some in recent years. In my time here, I have seen nearly constant work on upgrading the utility infrastructure with almost no interruption of service, which has been impressive. Hopefully, we get lucky and have another mild year this year and can make some additional headway.
My concern was mainly centered on older urban settings here in Florida, where above ground utility poles and lines are frequently covered up in trees. They’re prone to contributing to downed lines and outages during storms. Here in Jacksonville the city owned utility admits to only budgeting for tree trimming every third year - rotating the areas. It’s just crazy to me.
New areas are underground but older more populated neighborhoods still have above ground facilities. Including those in some upscale areas.

Spring wildfires are historically common here in Florida because it’s our “dry season”.

I read somewhere that the cost can be as much as 50 - 100% higher than above ground lines per mile to install. Thats likely install costs and doesn't factor in damage and replacement due to fire and storms. Underground has issues as well like insulation wearing faster and water/moisture damage.

The shutdowns seem to be the best means of prevention aside from controlling the fuel source.

Instead of sending money to Ukraine, be better to use that money to help construct underground utilities in all states affected by hurricanes...
I don't have an issue with helping Ukraine to a point but that's for another thread. The problem with federal money going to state projects is most of it never gets to its intended target then the states come back asking for more. There's lots of wasted state funds everywhere that could be put to better use.

I don't have an issue with helping Ukraine to a point but that's for another thread. The problem with federal money going to state projects is most of it never gets to its intended target then the states come back asking for more. There's lots of wasted state funds everywhere that could be put to better use.
I've never been a fan of foreign aid, but you're right, would make for a good topic on another thread (would hate to see reactor 4 blow up)... the part that concerns me is that this nation needs significant infrastructure upgrades and maintenance (@goldmom 's example being a prime one) and yet billions go into the war machine... meanwhile, the American tax payers get shafted...

I've never been a fan of foreign aid, but you're right, would make for a good topic on another thread (would hate to see reactor 4 blow up)... the part that concerns me is that this nation needs significant infrastructure upgrades and maintenance (@goldmom 's example being a prime one) and yet billions go into the war machine... meanwhile, the American tax payers get shafted...
Let's not limit the criticism to the war machine. While there are significant areas to save money there at least the equipment it provides keeps us at pace with the bad actor countries out there (Russia. China, Iran). The thing is that there is cost savings galore across all of governments both state and federal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT