ADVERTISEMENT

Observations / Musts do

jhnoles6602

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2018
This is long, but just my perspective ( from a 15 year football coach ) of our program overall right now and where we sit. I understand for those that want to skip, but maybe some will read and understand why we are where we are and what we have to do to get where we want to be. At minimum it made me feel better getting it off my chest.

One of 3 things is an ABSOLUTE MUST...
1) Must change Defensive Scheme / philosophy.

2) Must go with a youth movement this year, because the upperclassmen‘s mentality, attitude, effort and discipline is apparently engraved in them and will not change.

3) Blackman’s tenure has to come to an end, especially after last night. It’s just time!

Fuller’s current scheme...

The DL would be astronomically better and way more effective if it wasn’t consistently 5 on 3 and even sometimes 6 on 3 when a RB / TE are keep in to assist with pass protection. Impossible to stop the run game with the current numbers we have in the box compared to the opponent. The DL is essentially being negated, because Fuller wants to drop 5 or 6 in coverage consistently. Then having LB setup 6+ yards from the line of scrimmage and seemingly playing pass first no matter the situation is virtually making the ability to stop the rum impossible. The only way a DL can be effective is when you allow them to be one on one with the OL as well as causing missed assignments with creative stunts. You can’t expect much at all if anything from the DL if they are constantly being double teamed. Fuller’s scheme has basically erased the preconceived top 5 DL in the country by many and even by us fans due solely to his scheming. Personally, imo we have talent on the DL, but it can’t be seen nor be effective bc the scheme will not allow it. For the life of me, I can’t wrap my head around the fact that unless it’s 3 and 10+ even then at various times we should bring a minimum of 4 or even 5 defenders. If the WR do not have time to get to or pass the first down marker then you can get off the field on 3rd down. It doesn’t matter where or who provides the pressure we have got to start creating pressure. We can’t continue to allow a dual threat QB, especially one who is known to be more of a run threat than passing threat to sit back in the pocket like a Greek statue just waiting for their WR to get away from man coverage or find the soft spot in zone coverage. No way could Sims and King have scored more points or hurt us more individually running as they did passing because their was absolutely no pass rush. No way King scores or puts up even close to half the points they did score by forcing him to scramble, make quick decisions or tuck and run all night. Sims wouldn’t have had half the stats passing or extended half the drives with his legs as he did passing bc we didn’t constantly pressure him forcing him to make quick decisions, make risky throws, or choose to run and take punishment for 4Q. Fuller MUST change his scheme and/or philosophy with how he approaches the passing game, run game and SITUATIONAL play calling. I’m not saying fire him as a HC, but as a HC you MUST make it mandatory he changes his philosophy as well as how he attacks offenses. This bend don’t break D instead of attack and break the O has to change PERIOD! JMO,

As for Offense, it’s an absolute must that JB played his last game Saturday night barring injury to Purdy, Rodemaker, or even TJ. JB hasn’t been the answer since day one of his first game here and he is absolutely not the answer still! I understand that he has had 4 different OC during his time here, which would make it difficult on any QB to be great / elite, but JB isn’t great in any facet of the passing game or reading defenses or just making simple checks at the LOS into a better play or pass protection. He just doesn’t have the mentality, ability, decisiveness, instinct, football IQ, or clutch factor to play this position. It’s past time to move forward and allow the young QBs to get very much needed experience with all of the big goals for this season being unattainable.
Next, potential 1st round draft pick or not TT is a cancer and a ME first guy with terrible discipline and isn’t a leader or role model for the younger WR in my opinion. Right now, TT overall for the offense this season and has ZERO impact on the future for team / program. WT11 is a below avg WR, who doesn’t bring anything to the table other than size and drama. It’s now time for a predominately youth movement here at this position. Not saying neither should get anymore PT, but they should no longer be our top option or relied upon to be game changers to help this offense take a step forward in a positive direction. Personally I’m ready for Jordan Y. , Brian R., Wren, Douglas, O. Wilson, K. Portier, hell even Travis J. among others to receive valuable experience for the future.

As for OL right now it is what it is. We need to play as many younger guys as we can if that’s even possible. It’s a MUST that MN gets some proven or at minimum some potentially high ceiling guys from the portal / GT / Juco period to turn things around.

TEs: I’m pleased for the most part for CM but we have got to get more weapons here passing and blocking in order for CMN’s offense to work more effectively as they play a vital role within his offense. There are numerous offenses in which TEs are essentially used as just an additional OL and every now and then utilized in the passing game, however this is the complete opposite of how they are used in Norvell’s system.

RB: love LT, I also like JC and L. Webb it’s just hard to see what they can do without having much of anything upfront to help them showcase what they offer. Would also like to see Wren and Douglas here as well to give us more of an edge threat in the run game as well as threats in the flats / screen game.

Overall: The mindset / attitude is hard to change for players who are use to losing and who folds the tent when just a hint of adversity hits. This is why imo it’s time to go with the underclassmen, because they haven’t adopted / possess the mentality / attitude of the upperclassmen, because they are fresh from winning programs in HS.

Coaches:
Assistant coaches...
As for Dillingham the jury is still out for me on him not ready to throw him to the wolves quite yet. I like the Atkins hire as the OL has shown improvement even though it is very minute and hard to see at times, but he has very very little talent to show vast improvement. I like Thompsen and Dougans as well.
D staff - I like Woodson, Marve and Pap, however talent and scheme is truly hiding how good of coaches Marve and Pap and Woodson truly are. As for Fuller based on the current evidence and past track record he just isn’t a good DC as his philosophy and scheme show. We must get back to an attacking D instead of being attacked! We have got to find the old mentality of the old FSU Defenses who played sideline to sideline NO seatbelt and wreckless style of D. If this D was the bi polar opposite of past few years defenses and getting beat with by being aggressive and violent with an attacking style then I could deal with giving Fuller some time bc it would be a defense our players aren’t accustomed to playing in. Fuller has to change or CMN has to make make the change. JMHO

Head Coach:
I know this isn’t the popular belief right now, but I still feel like Norvell was a great hire. His track record shows he is. All you have to do is look what he did at Memphis with a roster full of recruiting classes that weren’t even in the Top 30 - 50 in the nation. It just takes time folks! His track record is leaps and bounds above what WT’s track record was, so imo there is no need to feel like we have a WT part II with Norvell. He was dealt a tough task with transforming this team / program back to even a resemblance of what we are accustomed to seeing. I for one despise making excuses for anything period, especially when it’s something which every team including yours had to endure with Covid. However, inheriting a team who has had countless coaches, schemes, philosophies ect during their tenure along with essentially having no offseason to instill your philosophy, schemes, and offense / defense system while trying to completely overhaul the mindset, attitude, and mentality of players who have only experienced losing / failure in their college career is essentially impossible with the time allowed or in a lot of cases in two or three years. IMO anyone who has labeled CMN a failure, poor hire, below avg coach ect has no clue about what it takes turn any program around especially a program like FSU to back to what it was or even a resemblance of what it was just hasn’t ever been a coach nor understands the process of changing things to get a program back to where it’s supposed to be. IMHO with time CMN will turn this program around and get us back to where we as fans are accustomed to seeing this program for so many years we just have to trust, support, and be patient. Just my looong humble and honest opinion about the current state of our program.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News