ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic: Who is the richest person in Tallahassee?

My marketing teacher used to say the dude who owned the house just off appalachee parkway behind the Marriott could take off in a plane and fly to Texas and never not be over his own land. Said he was one of the richest men in America.

Smith.

Reactions: MJSNOLE
They are actually nice people, but kinda live like communal hippies. Interesting life
I meet them many years ago they were chill as hell. They have to be in their late 60s by now. Was not sure if they were still in the area. TBH

My marketing teacher used to say the dude who owned the house just off appalachee parkway behind the Marriott could take off in a plane and fly to Texas and never not be over his own land. Said he was one of the richest men in America.
If it’s the one right there on Park Ave I’m pretty sure he’s the owner of cap city bank and owns a lot of land. And I’ve also heard that fondville Foote and messer. I think fondville was in on that tobacco lawsuit

Ridiculous that this thread has reached page 2 and no one has mentioned @Dot Com. Dude lives like a Saudi prince. I think he runs this website to throw people off the scent.
Busted. Here I am doing the chop from my billion dollar mansion.
104865414-Prince_Miteb_Saudi_.530x298.jpg

Lots of wealth in Tally....most of the wealthy are able to lead normal lives.....I believe the guy that invented taxol lives here too

There may still be some DuPont family around? I got to meet Alfred's brother-in-law many years ago....There were also some pretty big commercial real estate (NYSE...) folks around....

This thread is indicative of an interesting phenomenon that I sometimes see on Warchant and other places as well where Tallahassee is perceived as some tiny little city like Live Oak or Suwannee or Clewiston with a university in it. Tallahassee certainly isn't a big metropolis like Tampa or Miami but it is a vibrant, mid sized town with quite a bit going on outside of FSU.

I know when I was at FSU that I seldom, if ever, ventured outside of a few miles surrounding campus. I think that is the case for a lot of students, they live an insular life for four or five years while they are in school, then move away and never see the rest of the city. They don't realize that it exists. that leads them to believe that the wealthiest person in town is the football coach.

I've spoken to a number of FSU grads who say that they would like to move back to Tally but know "it would be impossible to find a job there." Same misconception.

This thread is indicative of an interesting phenomenon that I sometimes see on Warchant and other places as well where Tallahassee is perceived as some tiny little city like Live Oak or Suwannee or Clewiston with a university in it. Tallahassee certainly isn't a big metropolis like Tampa or Miami but it is a vibrant, mid sized town with quite a bit going on outside of FSU.

I know when I was at FSU that I seldom, if ever, ventured outside of a few miles surrounding campus. I think that is the case for a lot of students, they live an insular life for four or five years while they are in school, then move away and never see the rest of the city. They don't realize that it exists. that leads them to believe that the wealthiest person in town is the football coach.

I've spoken to a number of FSU grads who say that they would like to move back to Tally but know "it would be impossible to find a job there." Same misconception.

At one point it was very tough to find a job outside of the State or University. So alums of a certain age would not have been wrong.

At one point it was very tough to find a job outside of the State or University. So alums of a certain age would not have been wrong.

I'm sure that is true, but it's not really that way anymore. You bring up a good point though, the town has grown a lot, I'm sure a lot of older alums don't realize that.

You are way far off. There are a bunch (who do not need to be named, and several are boosters) that are way up there....100M +. That ain’t those guys

There are not several people in Tallahassee worth over 100 million.

I'll echo the sentiments about the Phipps family. They donated land to the City and State out Meridian Road, now a good sized sports complex and also provided a tract of land that provides preserved / pristine land that combined with other properties that extends from Lake Jackson to Thomasville Road.

One of the sons was a volunteer soccer coach for me quite some time ago.

I know some of the family members of one of the original Pepsi bottling family’s live up here. They have to be north of 200m at this point. Don’t think they have anything invested directly and most of their cash is down south.

Guy named Jim Dahl is up there. He was given immunity to testify against Michael Milken back in the junk bond days and he escaped free and clear

I know
I don’t think you know how much 100m is, for there to be several...
I know exactly how much it is. And I live in Tallahassee, and know a couple of them. You can disagree if you want, that’s fine.

Ted Turner is worth 2.2 billion.

In 2000, before the disastrous merger CNN /Time Warner he was worth an estimated $8 billion and almost took his own life over the losses in stock value... true story.

I'll echo the sentiments about the Phipps family. They donated land to the City and State out Meridian Road, now a good sized sports complex and also provided a tract of land that provides preserved / pristine land that combined with other properties that extends from Lake Jackson to Thomasville Road.

One of the sons was a volunteer soccer coach for me quite some time ago.
I work at Maclay gardens, the park was about 300 acres until the state acquired the Overstreet property from Phipps, over 800 PRIME acres. That was 1994 and not sure the price tag but I’m sure it wasn’t cheap. There are nesting Bald Eagles on Lake Overstreet. It’s beautiful out there.

I work at Maclay gardens, the park was about 300 acres until the state acquired the Overstreet property from Phipps, over 800 PRIME acres. That was 1994 and not sure the price tag but I’m sure it wasn’t cheap. There are nesting Bald Eagles on Lake Overstreet. It’s beautiful out there.

Yep. I was with the City at the time. And "donated" was the wrong word to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleone99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT