ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: Wearing FSU Hat at non-FSU game

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
A couple of us are going to check out the College Baseball Classic at Minute Maid Park (Astros) this weekend. It's primarily Big 12 v. SEC (LSU v. TCU; Baylor v. TAMU). I believe that it's fine to wear a FSU hat to something like this, buddy has different opinion. Now, I would say full Charlie Ward garnet jersey, hat and face paint is over the top, but hat ok.

What sayeth the council.

I always roll my eyes at the idiots who dress up in Full Gator Gear (jhorts, Gator shirt, puffy Gator alpine jacket when its 72 degrees and they're wearing jhorts, Gator hat for night games) or Full Notre Dame Gear (ND shirt radiating holier than thouness despite killing an assistant in lightning storms and players raping coeds, ND hat emitting waves of condescension despite playing for the title once in 20+ years) to watch an FSU versus NC State game. Don't be that guy.

Unless I'm supporting one team, I just wear neutral tshirts.

Now if you're an opponent then I'm all about harassment. One of my favorite moments from this year was when I was on the Big Island of Hawaii on the day of our game against Michigan and I saw a young couple in Michigan Gear in line for some handmade Japanese mochis. They didn't notice my Seminole Gear so I creeped up right behind them and stage play "Whisperered" "You're going to LOOOOOOSE!" They turned around in shock while dropping their bag and I did the warchant right in their face. They sputtered unable to give a solid response and the whole place erupted in laughter at them.

So of course FSU went out and won and now two Michigan fans will be telling tales about even on vacation in the middle of nowhere (and Hilo is really the middle of nowhere) in the Pacific they were not safe from FSU fans.

Wear whatever hat you want. I don't believe there is a law restricting what hats can be worn at sporting events. If there is, lawmakers had far too much time on their hands.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
I wouldn't wear a FSU hat to a game at a rivals place for a game that FSU is not participating in. None of the teams you listed are rivals so I see no issue with it.

This is the correct rule. Rival's game: fully neutral. Non-rival's game: FSU cap is fine (but not the Bobby Bowden straw hat). Full FSU garb is NEVER appropriate at a non-FSU sporting event.

A FSU hat a baseball game no big deal. I would also probably buy a t-short of the event and wear that as well at some point but that is me. Sounds like a fun time.

A hat is no big deal. As other's have said, full gear might be a bit over the top, but I've got no problem with someone sporting a hat for any team.

No matter where you are, or what you're doing, an FSU hat is the correct choice. Surprised you don't catch more crap in Houston though, honestly.

We have the same type of event up here, but it's in Frisco instead of Arlington, looks to be a solid offering. Arizona, Arkansas, Nebraska and Okie State. Decent enough weather this weekend, may make it out.

A hat is no big deal unless it is at a rivals games.

This is the rule I generally follow, exception being at the 2012 College World Series where FSU was involved but had already played and won that day and I wore my FSU hat and shirt to watch UF lose to Kent State. Tragic. Just tragic :)

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I don't like it but I will admit that a hat is better than a shirt. I go neutral if the teams on my clothes aren't playing. One exception to this would be if you are at the ACC Tournament. All ACC schools' gear is fine. In your case though I would wear a hat with your firm's logo on it so you can write off the cost of tickets.

I never saw a problem with the hat. I went to a LA Dodgers vs. Padres game this summer and was going to wear a Cubs hat but the guys I was going with said it was dumb since I was neutral on the two teams.

I wore a Dodgers cap to a Braves-Blue Jays spring game. I see no problem wearing the FSU hat.

I learned to hate the Dodgers in the 70's when both they and the Braves were part of the National League West. Though the rivalry has died down, my dislike for them has not.

Been following the Dodgers since the days of Koufax and Drysdale. I have an intense dislike for Braves because most of their fans feel they are entitled to win every year. I get a warm feeling inside when the Braves suck.

A couple of us are going to check out the College Baseball Classic at Minute Maid Park (Astros) this weekend. It's primarily Big 12 v. SEC (LSU v. TCU; Baylor v. TAMU). I believe that it's fine to wear a FSU hat to something like this, buddy has different opinion. Now, I would say full Charlie Ward garnet jersey, hat and face paint is over the top, but hat ok.

What sayeth the council.

Wear the hat. As long as it's subtle and your not decked out from head to toe its fine.

Been following the Dodgers since the days of Koufax and Drysdale. I have an intense dislike for Braves because most of their fans feel they are entitled to win every year. I get a warm feeling inside when the Braves suck.
I've been a Braves fan since the sixties when they really did suck. I can't defend those who have been fans since the late 90's - early 2000's. But your description of most Braves fans mirrors the attitude of much of the TC for the Noles.

I've been a Braves fan since the sixties when they really did suck. I can't defend those who have been fans since the late 90's - early 2000's. But your description of most Braves fans mirrors the attitude of much of the TC for the Noles.

I get that. Most in the TC don't understand the depths of FSU football pre-Bowden.

Yep. Henry Aaron, Phil Niekro and others could not put the Braves together as a contender. As a kid, I could not understand why mom and her siblings were St. Louis fans until Grandaddy told me they had pulled for them before the Braves came south...
There was no southern team for them to pull for and their home town could access the Cardinals radio network. Also, a home town kid named Max Lanier made it big in St Louis. His son Hal managed the Astros later. I used to sit in the kitchen with Pops and listen to games late into the night in the kitchen on his scratchy radio. Good times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT