ADVERTISEMENT

Oppenheimer

The Venona project found perhaps a dozen or so communist or former communist in the state department out of thousands of employees. MCCarthy accused the US Army of being infiltrated by communist at the highest level directly accusing Marshal. This does not vindicate McCarthy at all...............he was a petty drunk and liar who used HUAC and its loyalty oaths (HUAC was a committee in the house, not the senate where he resided formed in the 1930s) to a generalized attack. The fact that there were a small minority of high level government officials that had been members of the communist party that opposed fascism and a tiny group of active pro-soviet spys doesn't excuse his behavior.

If you want to write about and make a movie about the one scientist that was working on the nuclear bomb that passed on real information to the Soviets which ended up giving them the ability too, then that is a different story than Oppenheimer.

Folks might ask themselves how is it that in our democracy communist thoughts and a minor political party (American Communist Party) became a way to destroy people's livelihood and forced people to either sign a loyalty oath or devolve into poverty. If you want to see the antecedents of Covid censure you look no further than the anti-communist hysteria of which McCarthy was a key figure.

FYI, I am probably one of the few people on here that has ever signed a loyalty oath for which I signed to get a life guard job in the 1980s in Indian River County!
Mutually assured destruction only works if both sides have the bomb.

After reading this thread I’d say it seems pretty clear that the movie did do a pretty good job accurately depicting the story. Oppenheimer clearly had close associations with Communists and even shared some of their ideology. But like @goldmom said in pre WW2 America this wasn’t completely uncommon and that’s especially true in the hyper liberal world of universities and even more true of Stanford. But there wasn’t any evidence that Oppenheimer was any sort of spy for the Soviets and if not for Strauss’s grudge his clearance likely would have been approved without much issue.

We went to see it a couple of weeks ago. The theater was packed, and the 70mm IMAX print was an absolute technological marvel. It was definitely one of the most memorable movie experiences that I have had. I could see the movie winning Best Picture and Best Actor and Best Director with outside chance at being the 4th movie to sweep the major awards.

Excellent.

I'm glad to see you posting again!

Reactions: fredfarkle336
After reading this thread I’d say it seems pretty clear that the movie did do a pretty good job accurately depicting the story. Oppenheimer clearly had close associations with Communists and even shared some of their ideology. But like @goldmom said in pre WW2 America this wasn’t completely uncommon and that’s especially true in the hyper liberal world of universities and even more true of Stanford. But there wasn’t any evidence that Oppenheimer was any sort of spy for the Soviets and if not for Strauss’s grudge his clearance likely would have been approved without much issue.
From what I read this was a little more complicated. Eisenhower considered stopping it, but wasn't ready to take on McCarthy at that time. Right after Oppenheimer losing his security clearance, McCarthy felt emboldened to take on the Army which was the last straw for Eisenhower and he hatched his political plot to take him down. At least that is what the historians I read thought was the time line. (Eisenhower is my favorite 20th century president and I read a lot of biographies about him)

From what I read this was a little more complicated. Eisenhower considered stopping it, but wasn't ready to take on McCarthy at that time. Right after Oppenheimer losing his security clearance, McCarthy felt emboldened to take on the Army which was the last straw for Eisenhower and he hatched his political plot to take him down. At least that is what the historians I read thought was the time line. (Eisenhower is my favorite 20th century president and I read a lot of biographies about him)
Been to his childhood home in Denison just up 75 from Dallas.

Reactions: fsufool and goldmom
We went to see it a couple of weeks ago. The theater was packed, and the 70mm IMAX print was an absolute technological marvel. It was definitely one of the most memorable movie experiences that I have had. I could see the movie winning Best Picture and Best Actor and Best Director with outside chance at being the 4th movie to sweep the major awards.
I went over the weekend while it was 150 degrees out. There was about 20 people in the theater. Movie was good although a little long. It should get some nods for the Oscars. Also went to see Sound of Freedom which was also excellent. It was more crowded as it was in the evening.

The Venona project found perhaps a dozen or so communist or former communist in the state department
This is not true, Venona discovered over 300 "communists" in the state department and other government bureaucracies, even in the OSS, and many in very sensitive positions, like The Rosenbergs, Harry Dexter White, Alger Hiss, Karl Fuchs, to name a few...
MCCarthy accused the US Army of being infiltrated by communist at the highest level directly accusing Marshal.
Making the accusation without direct evidence was the beginning of the end for McCarthy. Yet, it does excuse one very salient fact: Marshal and the Truman Administration lost China, one of the biggest blunders in American foreign policy, and it was lost due to State Department that was infiltrated with Communists.
he was a petty drunk and liar
as most politicians are
he was a petty drunk and liar who used HUAC and its loyalty oaths (HUAC was a committee in the house, not the senate where he resided formed in the 1930s) to a generalized attack.
Not true, once McCarthy was senator he was not controlling HUAC, and HUAC's actions during the "Red Scare" took place without McCarthy's guidance while he was in the Senate. The idea that McCarthy was destroying the lives of thousands of innocent people is simply not true.
how is it that in our democracy communist thoughts and a minor political party (American Communist Party) became a way to destroy people's livelihood
Verona proved that the American Communist Party was taking directives from the Soviet Union.... nothing "minor" about that.

I do not view McCarthy as a hero nor as a villain, yet he was more far right than wrong in his accusations about the infiltration about communists in our government. Whether his actions to expose communists in our government was to advance his own political ambitions or was sincere, that is open to debate and opinion, as well as his tactics.

On another note, I've disagreed with you about everything from Rick Tricket (who still sucks) to contemporary culture, yet over the last 17 years I've come to sincerely appreciate your posts and your input on these boards. On this particular topic, you are largely repeating the standard McCarthy narrative which is no longer accurate.
Sincerely,
Noletaire

Reactions: seminoleed
IMO McCarthy didn’t know when to shut his mouth, open his eyes and play the Washington “game” a little better.
Much of this epidemic of Commies around every corner goes back to “conditions on the ground” and the atmosphere prevalent among the intellectuals on many college campuses in the 30’s. It was considered more acceptable to be a communist than a fascist. Communism always sucked in lots of students and young idealists, whose families were often immigrants and who had who moved on after college, but who left a trail of records and past associates and friends. After the war it came back to haunt them.
Remember the largest group of immigrants in America were the Germans - who openly embraced the Nazis through the German American Bund. A bona fide American hero by the name of Charles Lindbergh was a movement leader. No one seemed to hold it against them after the war.
The facts are that there were Communists in American government in post war America.
Still some today. The Feds just arrested two Navy guys last week for passing classified documents to the ChiComs.
The movie was made with a certain POV and with the inadequate knowledge of history by many Americans it may be remembered more for the nude scenes than anything else.
Enlightening take. The mention of nude scenes peaked my interest.
Archie Bunker

On another note, I've disagreed with you about everything from Rick Tricket (who still sucks) to contemporary culture, yet over the last 17 years I've come to sincerely appreciate your posts and your input on these boards. On this particular topic, you are largely repeating the standard McCarthy narrative which is no longer accurate.
Sincerely,
Noletaire
Wow...................you remember what I said about Tricket???
I have no idea what I posted...........LOL

McCarthy was just making wild as# guesses about who was a Soviet spy. As a result he gave the real spies cover................

Roosevelt and Hoover were not really looking for Soviet spies instead spent resources dealing with fascism..............which they thought was a more imminent threat.

I don't think we are far off from each other, just that I see the spread of fascism across Europe (Spanish Civil War, Germany, Italy) is a much more serious light and note the support from American industrialist for fascism as a more dangerous to America than the American Communist Party which by the mid 1950s had a membership of around 5000 (From a peak of 75,000 in the 1930s)

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Saw it last night.. it was definitely interesting. I think I overhyped it in my mind because I was reading this was the greatest movie of all time.

I definitely enjoyed it though. I need to read up more about it because I knew very little about it going into it.

Saw it last night.. it was definitely interesting. I think I overhyped it in my mind because I was reading this was the greatest movie of all time.

I definitely enjoyed it though. I need to read up more about it because I knew very little about it going into it.
100% it is overhyped.

Reactions: MagNoleA
100% it is overhyped.

Yeah. It was a little long.. 3 hours is a bit much.

It was definitely interesting but nowhere near my top 10 favorite movies of all time.. which reading the trailer comments on YouTube and some other social media posts about it, I was expecting a lot more

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT