ADVERTISEMENT

Football Osceola Q&A: Lamarcus Joyner on FSU career, 2013 title, message to 2024 team

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
This is one of my favorite interviews in a while. Hope you enjoy this 1-on-1 with Lamarcus Joyner, who took the time to speak reflectively on his FSU career and very candidly about the mindset of a football player:

Lamarcus Joyner is thankful and honored to be recognized on Friday night as one of the newest members of Florida State’s athletics hall of fame. Joyner played a number of defensive back spots from 2009-13 at FSU, committing to his dream school in the days after the coaching transition from Bobby Bowden to Jimbo Fisher and staying in school to help the Seminoles claim a third national title.

Now retired after nine years in the NFL with the Rams, Raiders and Jets from 2014-22, Joyner is back home in South Florida. He’s the father of five, with a sixth on the way, and is a coach and mentor to football players at all levels. He has a packed schedule on Friday, in part meeting current Seminoles as well as familiar faces like Jerry Latimer, FSU’s longtime director of athletic rehabilitation, and Bruce Warwick, who he knew going back to their days with the Rams, among others who work in and around the Moore Athletic Center.

Florida State’s 2024 class includes Joyner and receiver Anquan Boldin, baseball All-American Ryan Barthelemy, All-American softball pitcher Casey Hunter, NCAA hurdles champion Phillip Riley, tennis great Katie Rybakova and former FSU track athlete and long-time Florida State athletics administrator Bernie Waxman. They will be honored in a ceremony this evening at the University Center Club.

“I don't do well with accolades because that's not really even really why I played the game,” Joyner told the Osceola on Thursday night. “I'm thankful when I do receive it, but I'm more so just there to watch the game (Saturday) and just feel the majesty of being on campus again, being around that atmosphere, that environment. I'm there to just see the younger guys and see what they got, up close and personal.”

Below is Joyner's interview with the Osceola on his FSU career and what his message would be to current Seminoles.

Reactions: tpitl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.