ADVERTISEMENT

Pad Krapow - Thai Basil Stir Fry

TC Nole OX

Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
I have made this dozens of times. It is outstanding. I have yet to find a Thai restaurant in Tampa which makes a good version of Pad Krapow which is one of the most common street food dishes in Thailand.

Here is The Roaming Cook YT channel visiting Mark Wiens' restaurant in Bangkok. The restaurant has one item on the menu, Pad Krapow

Reactions: bcherod
I pretty much use this recipe with 25 thai birds eye chilies and 10 cloves of garlic and a half pound of small diced chicken or ground beef.

Last edited:
thai-chicken-basil-recipe.jpg

That looks great. There is a large Asian community in NW Florida with a lot of Thai restaurants. I will look for it on the menu but I have no basis for comparison.

It's sort of like Thailand's version of Cuban Picadillo. I think most Thai restaurants make it bland because Americans for the most part can't handle spicy food. Even if it is low or no chilies, it will still be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcherod and DFSNOLE
I have to stick with non spicy Thai but I do like it.
Lots of Thai restaurants here in Jax. My favorite is Noom on Baymeadows Road.

That looks great. There is a large Asian community in NW Florida with a lot of Thai restaurants. I will look for it on the menu but I have no basis for comparison.
Where? I'm looking for a good Asian market in that area to get some f the hard to find ingredients.

The western Florida panhandle. There are six or seven military bases within 75 miles of us. A lot of GIs came back from deployments with Asian wives.
Ok I thought there was some secret town somewhere. I usually go to Niceville or Pensacola as there is a big concentration in those areas. Not super close to PCB though. Used to have a good market and Korean place near the paper mill but I heard they closed.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Ok I thought there was some secret town somewhere. I usually go to Niceville or Pensacola as there is a big concentration in those areas. Not super close to PCB though. Used to have a good market and Korean place near the paper mill but I heard they closed.
Yeah. I was speaking regionally.

My favorite Thai food to cook is larb and make lettuce roll ups.

I'm a big fan of Asian finger food and soups.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find outside of the Asian and military communities. So, I have to make most of it myself.

Years ago Kiku had some really good Japanese food on their menu, shabu-shabu and sukiyaki. They took them off the menu. So one cold and rainy night since I moved back here, I went to Kiku to get noodles, thinking it would be like comfort food. I bought the noodles, and took them home.
I about gagged when I ate them. They had used 5 spice powder (Chinese), instead of 7 spice powder, (Japanese).

But, to go along with Ox's post, I guess they thought they were dealing with the American palate and could get away with it.

Thanks for the recipe, BTW.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I used to eat pad krapow several times a week along with many other Thai dishes. My wife is an awesome cook. Now, my tastes have swung back to more Western but using some SE Asian seasoning, sauces, etc. Best of both worlds!

Anything with rice and a fried egg is good. I've had hamburger or spam patties with fried egg in Japan, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. All are very good.

My favorite Thai food to cook is larb

Here is Mark Wiens, before he was famous, making Larb

Here is Pailin showing how to make Larb. If I want to learn how to make a Thai dish, I always start at her channel. She was raised near Bangkok, attended culinary school in San Francisco, worked in restaurants there and now lives in Vancouver, BC.

Laab Gai - Spicy Chicken Salad Recipe - Hot Thai Kitchen!

Last edited:
Reactions: bcherod
My favorite Thai food to cook is larb and make lettuce roll ups.

I'm a big fan of Asian finger food and soups.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find outside of the Asian and military communities. So, I have to make most of it myself.

Years ago Kiku had some really good Japanese food on their menu, shabu-shabu and sukiyaki. They took them off the menu. So one cold and rainy night since I moved back here, I went to Kiku to get noodles, thinking it would be like comfort food. I bought the noodles, and took them home.
I about gagged when I ate them. They had used 5 spice powder (Chinese), instead of 7 spice powder, (Japanese).

But, to go along with Ox's post, I guess they thought they were dealing with the American palate and could get away with it.

Thanks for the recipe, BTW.
In Japan some of the best noodles were in the small 6 person shops. You pay in a vending machine and get a ticket then wait for your food. Eat quick and get up.

In Japan some of the best noodles were in the small 6 person shops. You pay in a vending machine and get a ticket then wait for your food. Eat quick and get up.
I lived in Japan before they started doing that. I think the only vending machines they had at the time were pachinko machines.

I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I used to eat pad krapow several times a week along with many other Thai dishes. My wife is an awesome cook. Now, my tastes have swung back to more Western but using some SE Asian seasoning, sauces, etc. Best of both worlds!

This was in my YT feed today. All of this looks so good.

Thailand Street Food - INSANE WHOLE HERBAL CHICKEN + 11 Best Foods to Try in Chiang Mai!!

Last edited:
How far are you from Udorn AFB? My father was there 15 months during the war. Heard the locals eat fish eyes and guts and catch butterflies to eat. Sounds tasty.

My husband used to tell people that I was a good cook, and everything had soy sauce, (Japanese kind), garlic and onions. I laughed and said I don't use soy sauce at breakfast, and I don't put it in picatta.

I need to get an outdoor wok burner...160,000 BTUs

The Best Wok Burner (More BTUs ≠ Better Stir-Fries) | Kenji's Cooking Show

Order here

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT