ADVERTISEMENT

Paging Tribe or other travel aficionados

NoleFan2U

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 10, 2003
Mouth of the Rat, FL
Planning to take my daughter to Italy for graduation next June. What are your favorite things to see and do while hobnobbing with the locals? Our planned stops are : Rome, Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi, Florence, Cinque Terra, Milan for a few hours and Venice. We have the obvious planned (but can be changed) and have a local guide at our disposal in Sorrento. Looking for your favorite recommendations and must do while there. TIA

Planning to take my daughter to Italy for graduation next June. What are your favorite things to see and do while hobnobbing with the locals? Our planned stops are : Rome, Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi, Florence, Cinque Terra, Milan for a few hours and Venice. We have the obvious planned (but can be changed) and have a local guide at our disposal in Sorrento. Looking for your favorite recommendations and must do while there. TIA

Unfortunately I can’t help much with European tours as I’ve only spent time in all of the British Isles (I’ve got all of the major and several of the minor islands covered), Paris and Rome. Most of my travel is in the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and a bit of China (two bits actually, Hong Kong and Beijing but even that’s 15 years out of date). Ask me about Hawaii, Bermuda, Kaikoura, Bondi Beach, the Louvre, Jasper NP etc and I’ve got you.

Italy….that’s for a later trip unfortunately. I’ll be asking YOU for advice.

I can look through some things I’ve saved from my own research and see if there’s anything that catches your eye. I’m not looking to do an “Italian” adventure as neither myself nor my wife have any Italian blood that we know of and there‘s some “better” (I say that knowing there’s lots of great stuff to do in Italy, but there’s also lots of great stuff to do in Spain, Morocco, Greece, Crete, Croatia and Turkey) and cheaper options in the Mediterranean. So I’m looking to fly in and probably out of Rome, go to the Coliseum and Vatican Museum with my wife as she hasn’t been and then probably do a cruise covering the eastern Mediterranean with definitely stops in Greece and Croatia plus maybe some additional stops in Italy, Crete, Malta and the safer parts of touristy Turkey. And I want to do a separate Cruise around Spain and Portugal, plus maybe Gibraltar, Morocco, Monaco and/or Mediterranean France. I’m probably doing one of those cruises next year and then do the other the following year or maybe with a return trip to Scotland plus Iceland or back to Japan before we do the second Mediterranean cruise.

But yeah, you MIGHT want to look into some stops in Croatia. Now that it’s not war torn it’s like a friendlier and FAR cheaper Italy. Dubrovnik and Split are amazing cities and probably a fifth to a tenth the price of places like Naples and Venice. The Amalfi Coast looks fantastic and I would definitely stop there if I can find a good cruise itinerary that has it plus some of the other places I mentioned. But for me it’s taking a back seat because of price versus beauty.

Amalfi Coast

header-positano-AMALFI0622-39a49349a2c145e6b3df85f884cf3217.jpg

Makaraska Bay Croatia

destination-makarska-bay-and-croatian-coastal-city-photo.jpg

Omis Croatia

landmarks-croatia-impressive-omis-town-surrounded-gorges-over-cetina-river-163983147.jpg

Dubrovnik Croatia

best-things-to-do-in-dubrovnik-croatia-wine-tasting-1.jpg

Last edited:
That is a lot of stops. Do you want to run from place to place with a suitcase or do you want to park it and enjoy a place? Depends on how long you will be there.

Rome is fantastic. Much to do there. The Sistine chapel go straight there and then review the rest of the museum if time. Get there early or book ahead. The forum. Catacombs. The coliseum. St Peter's climb to the top of the dome for a spectacular view.

Milan is a business center not sure there's much to do there. Just north of though is Lake Como and some beautiful villages worth staying for a couple of days Bellagio menagio.

Florence fantastic and the wine countryside in Tuscany is beautiful.

Venice is way overrated. If I was to cut anything that would be it. Probably because cruise ships dump 10,000 people a day and it's like walking around Disney world with the crowds. The staff and the workers in the restaurants and bars just off the square ignore the tourist and don't service well but who can blame them. Go two or three blocks off the square and you'll get much cheaper prices and better service.

Amalfi Coast is supposed to be beautiful did not go. Maybe by boat to avoid the crowds but I think the drive is probably one of the best parts.

Rick Steves travel guides are very good.

Don't go in August the entire European continent is on vacation then. And it can be hot. April May September October avoid the crowds and a little cooler

Last edited:
Send me your email. I lived there for 5 years and go there on travel a few times a year. There are some must see’s and must avoid as well.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Unfortunately I can’t help much with European tours as I’ve only spent time in all of the British Isles (I’ve got all of the major and several of the minor islands covered), Paris and Rome. Most of my travel is in the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and a bit of China (two bits actually, Hong Kong and Beijing but even that’s 15 years out of date). Ask me about Hawaii, Bermuda, Kaikoura, Bondi Beach, the Louvre, Jasper NP etc and I’ve got you.

Italy….that’s for a later trip unfortunately. I’ll be asking YOU for advice.

I can look through some things I’ve saved from my own research and see if there’s anything that catches your eye. I’m not looking to do an “Italian” adventure as neither myself nor my wife have any Italian blood that we know of and there‘s some “better” (I say that knowing there’s lots of great stuff to do in Italy, but there’s also lots of great stuff to do in Spain, Morocco, Greece, Crete, Croatia and Turkey) and cheaper options in the Mediterranean. So I’m looking to fly in and probably out of Rome, go to the Coliseum and Vatican Museum with my wife as she hasn’t been and then probably do a cruise covering the eastern Mediterranean with definitely stops in Greece and Croatia plus maybe some additional stops in Italy, Crete, Malta and the safer parts of touristy Turkey. And I want to do a separate Cruise around Spain and Portugal, plus maybe Gibraltar, Morocco, Monaco and/or Mediterranean France. I’m probably doing one of those cruises next year and then do the other the following year or maybe with a return trip to Scotland plus Iceland or back to Japan before we do the second Mediterranean cruise.

But yeah, you MIGHT want to look into some stops in Croatia. Now that it’s not war torn it’s like a friendlier and FAR cheaper Italy. Dubrovnik and Split are amazing cities and probably a fifth to a tenth the price of places like Naples and Venice. The Amalfi Coast looks fantastic and I would definitely stop there if I can find a good cruise itinerary that has it plus some of the other places I mentioned. But for me it’s taking a back seat because of price versus beauty.

Amalfi Coast

header-positano-AMALFI0622-39a49349a2c145e6b3df85f884cf3217.jpg

Makaraska Bay Croatia

destination-makarska-bay-and-croatian-coastal-city-photo.jpg

Omis Croatia

landmarks-croatia-impressive-omis-town-surrounded-gorges-over-cetina-river-163983147.jpg

Dubrovnik Croatia

best-things-to-do-in-dubrovnik-croatia-wine-tasting-1.jpg
Thank you! It is my daughters trip so we are doing what she wants. Yes other places are cheaper and I tried to get her to go to other countries but this is what she wants. IF I go back, it will be on a budget and likely include other countries as well.

That is a lot of stops. Do you want to run from place to place with a suitcase or do you want to park it and enjoy a place? Depends on how long you will be there.

Rome is fantastic. Much to do there. The Sistine chapel go straight there and then review the rest of the museum if time. Get there early or book ahead. The forum. Catacombs. The coliseum. St Peter's climb to the top of the dome for a spectacular view.

Milan is a business center not sure there's much to do there. Just north of though is Lake Como and some beautiful villages worth staying for a couple of days Bellagio menagio.

Florence fantastic and the wine countryside in Tuscany is beautiful.

Venice is way overrated. If I was to cut anything that would be it. Probably because cruise ships dump 10,000 people a day and it's like walking around Disney world with the crowds. The staff and the workers in the restaurants and bars just off the square ignore the tourist and don't service well but who can blame them. Go two or three blocks off the square and you'll get much cheaper prices and better service.

Amalfi Coast is supposed to be beautiful did not go. Maybe by boat to avoid the crowds but I think the drive is probably one of the best parts.

Rick Steves travel guides are very good.

Don't go in August the entire European continent is on vacation then. And it can be hot. April May September October avoid the crowds and a little cooler
I have been reading Rick Steves and watching his videos. Yes it is a lot packed into the 16 days. We have a few days to rest and relax. Milan is only for a few hours, a stop on the train on our way to Venice. I want to go to the Dolomites for a day and possibly Crotia as well from Venice. I thought of a day in Switzerland from Milan, but then we can't do the Dolomites. But, it really isn't my trip, just my money. LOL

I have been reading Rick Steves and watching his videos. Yes it is a lot packed into the 16 days. We have a few days to rest and relax. Milan is only for a few hours, a stop on the train on our way to Venice. I want to go to the Dolomites for a day and possibly Crotia as well from Venice. I thought of a day in Switzerland from Milan, but then we can't do the Dolomites. But, it really isn't my trip, just my money. LOL
Break out the Benjamins. Go for it. Sounds like an amazing trip.

We had the best pizza we've ever eaten in Sorrento! From there you can take a train to Pompeii, that was really cool.

The ferry from Sorrento to Capri is a beautiful ride. If you take it, wave hello to Punta Campanella for me!

The Sistine Chapel was amazing! Met some older Sicilian folks while there. The older gent sneaked a picture while inside and the staff immediately barked out "No Photo"! He frowned, shrugged his shoulders and said in his thick Italian accent, "Eh, what they gonna do?" He made me laugh. They were from a region close to where my father and aunt grew up. They knew it well. It's the little things like this that make some of the best memories.

Wherever you guys go and whatever you do, I hope you have the trip of a lifetime with the memories to go with it.

We had the best pizza we've ever eaten in Sorrento! From there you can take a train to Pompeii, that was really cool.

The ferry from Sorrento to Capri is a beautiful ride. If you take it, wave hello to Punta Campanella for me!

The Sistine Chapel was amazing! Met some older Sicilian folks while there. The older gent sneaked a picture while inside and the staff immediately barked out "No Photo"! He frowned, shrugged his shoulders and said in his thick Italian accent, "Eh, what they gonna do?" He made me laugh. They were from a region close to where my father and aunt grew up. They knew it well. It's the little things like this that make some of the best memories.

Wherever you guys go and whatever you do, I hope you have the trip of a lifetime with the memories to go with it.
Thank you! A patient of mine got me in touch with her cousin, who is a tour guide in Sorrento. She has planned 2.5 days of our trip. Pompeii, the other city close to there that is supposed to be better (begins with a M), Capri one day and Amalfi coast. I am looking forward to the trip more than she is but I can't believe I am old enough to have a college graduate! Not sure how that happened. LOL

Reactions: billanole
Thank you! It is my daughters trip so we are doing what she wants. Yes other places are cheaper and I tried to get her to go to other countries but this is what she wants. IF I go back, it will be on a budget and likely include other countries as well.
My daughter did a trip thru school last summer - Italy and Greece. She had a ball. They were eager to leave Rome.

My daughter did a trip thru school last summer - Italy and Greece. She had a ball. They were eager to leave Rome.
Rome is great but you have to get away from the tourists. Much like other European cites the really good places are only a few blocks from McDonalds and Starbucks.

So while I was home during Nicole, I was checking out flights. The only nonstop flight to Rome in the evening hours from MIA decreased by $1200 yesterday so....flight is booked!

Anyone looking at international travel, check out the prices today. Even Hopper and Capital One travel sent notices to buy it.

So while I was home during Nicole, I was checking out flights. The only nonstop flight to Rome in the evening hours from MIA decreased by $1200 yesterday so....flight is booked!

Anyone looking at international travel, check out the prices today. Even Hopper and Capital One travel sent notices to buy it.
Over the holidays its still high but for next year prices dropped.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
Rome is great but you have to get away from the tourists. Much like other European cites the really good places are only a few blocks from McDonalds and Starbucks.
The problem is all of the stuff you want to see is absolutely infested with tourists so there really isn't any escape... That place has to be the biggest tourist trap in the world to be honest.

The problem is all of the stuff you want to see is absolutely infested with tourists so there really isn't any escape... That place has to be the biggest tourist trap in the world to be honest.
If you think about it why waste time seeing the coliseum or Spanish Steps when you can see it in every travel show ever made? There are hundreds of places in Rome to see that are just as nice and interesting and there are no tourists. Tourists don't like to stray far from what they are used to. Last time I went we took a walk down the Appian Way and went to the Quartiere Coppede, both nice, historic and lacking tourists. At night the Piazza della Madonna is nice and void of tourists.

Also if you want Italy like go to Croatia, Albania or Montenegro. All very Italy like with beaches, nice weather, good food and very few tourists.

I go to Rome alot for work and have to find places to hide there.

I was fortunate to go there on a 3 day weekend back in '76 while we were TDY in Aviano. Not as touristy as now I'm sure.

I was fortunate to go there on a 3 day weekend back in '76 while we were TDY in Aviano. Not as touristy as now I'm sure.
I did 4 years at Aviano late 90's right after they turned it operational. It was less crowded back then all over.

My brother was at Torrejon (613TFS) when I was at Soesterberg. Was that the wing that moved to Aviano?
No. TJ closed and the squadrons were inactivated. The F-16 wing at Ramstein was the one that moved to Aviano. I was at TJ (614th) from 86-88.

Reactions: F4Gary
No. TJ closed and the squadrons were inactivated. The F-16 wing at Ramstein was the one that moved to Aviano. I was at TJ (614th) from 86-88.
Actually, now that I've looked at the squadron patches, I think my brother was in the 614th. Small world!

Yeah, the Parthenon was a lot less crowded in '71 when we were stationed in Athens, but I don't think time travel is an option. :D

If you think about it why waste time seeing the coliseum or Spanish Steps when you can see it in every travel show ever made? There are hundreds of places in Rome to see that are just as nice and interesting and there are no tourists. Tourists don't like to stray far from what they are used to. Last time I went we took a walk down the Appian Way and went to the Quartiere Coppede, both nice, historic and lacking tourists. At night the Piazza della Madonna is nice and void of tourists.

Also if you want Italy like go to Croatia, Albania or Montenegro. All very Italy like with beaches, nice weather, good food and very few tourists.

I go to Rome alot for work and have to find places to hide there.
Soon after this thread, my son lost his phone to a pick pocket in Florence. Then friends told me Italy is renowned for pick pockets like Paris used to be.

Soon after this thread, my son lost his phone to a pick pocket in Florence. Then friends told me Italy is renowned for pick pockets like Paris used to be.
Unfortunately, anywhere there are tourists there are pick pockets. Some cites have warning signs about them. Barcelona is really bad as well.

If your going to carry things in your pockets use your front pants pocket. Also put a rubber band around your cash, wallet. phone ect... ones like they use in the mob movies. The rubber band makes it harder to pull things from your pockets. Also don't carry back packs as they like to target folks with backpacks and those with their phone out all the time.

I hope you didn't try to track the phone. The types that do these things are petty thieves but normally connected to gypsies or worse. Best to just get a new phone.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT