Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 19 The Valspar Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Casey-847-Valspar-Trophy-Getty.jpg

EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS

Paul Casey's winning highlights from Valspar​

The Valspar Championship returns to the PGA TOUR schedule this season after the 2020 edition was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Two-time defending champion Paul Casey returns to try to win for a record third time in Tampa.
FIELD NOTES: Reigning FedExCup champion Dustin Johnson returns to action after a T13 at the RBC Heritage… Past FedExCup winner Justin Thomas is back on the PGA TOUR for the first time since playing the Masters. Thomas sits second in the 2021 FedExCup standings… Phil Mickelson will tee it up at the Valspar Championship for the first time since 2004… Casey is joined by Adam Hadwin (2017) and Charl Schwartzel (2016) as past winners in Tampa from the last five years… Sponsor Exemptions include college standout John Augenstein, European stars Rasmus Hojgaard and Sam Horsfield, plus Chase Koepka (brother to Brooks)… Ten of the top-30 golfers in the world are teeing it up at Innisbrook.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.
STORYLINES: The Valspar Championship marks the final event of the PGA TOUR schedule to take place in Florida after its series of tournaments in March… Dustin Johnson’s Valspar Championship start in 2019 was his debut at the event and he had a chance to win until a 3-over 74 in the final round. He’s back and looking for another good result as the race to the FedExCup heats up… Attendance at the event will be approximately 20 percent of normal capacity… Only 10 golfers since World War II have three-peated at an event on the PGA TOUR (Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Billy Casper, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller, Gene Littler, Stuart Appleby, Steve Stricker, and of course, Tiger Woods have all done it). Paul Casey looks to join that list this year at Innisbrook.
COURSE: Innisbrook Resort (Copperhead), par 71, 7,340 yards. Long known as a TOUR-player favorite, the Copperhead Course at Innisbrook puts a premium on positioning off the tee and is as complete an examination as TOUR players will face all year. Larry Packard’s layout near Tampa is tree-lined and all culminates at the ‘Snake Pit’ with two difficult par-4s sandwiched between the 215-yard par-3 17th. The course opened in the early 1970s.
72-HOLE RECORD: 266, Vijay Singh (2004).
18-HOLE RECORD: 61, Padraig Harrington (1st round, 2012).
LAST TIME: Paul Casey became the first golfer since the event’s inception in 2000 to defend his title. He won by one shot in 2018 over Tiger Woods and Patrick Reed, and won by the same margin – this time over Jason Kokrak and Louis Oosthuizen – in 2019. Casey, who hadn’t won the PGA TOUR in nine seasons before his 2018 win in Tampa, was steadier than anyone through a tough week in 2019 at the Copperhead Course. His 1-over 72 on Sunday was good enough, as he survived a hard exam at Innisbrook better than anyone, punctuated with a par from the fairway bunker on the 72nd hole. Bubba Watson and Sungjae Im, both at 6-under, rounded out the top five.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 2 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3-6 p.m. (NBC).
PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. ET (Featured Groups). Saturday-Sunday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. (Featured Groups), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Holes).
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).
TOURCast: Get shot-by-shot info in real time with shot tracks and video with TOURCast.
TOUR Pulse: Get the PGA TOUR app to utilize TOUR Pulse, which provides users the ability to experience a mix of content, such as video highlights, written hole summaries and stat graphics on every player after every hole they complete.

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @fsukenny

Huge shake up in the overall leader board after a big scoring week with picking teams.
New leader @Bobcat07 and a new 2nd @DFSNOLE

Leader-thru-Zurich-2021.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m on the grounds all week as Tournament Operations co-chair. Which means I’m leaving my house at 5:15 every morning !😳 Not sure the PGA tour understands the dollar value of the free labor they receive from those who love golf.
The volunteers at Valspar are some really terrific people. In any event, I’m looking forward to an exciting week of golf.
*BTW, Tournament Operations is who gets the job when something is screwed up !

Forgot to come back and update
Clemson got all square Porter and Gordon went to 20th hole, a par 3
Clemson guy knocked it in from about 20 and Porter missed from about 12 ft
so we did take the L today unfortunately

• Sad
Reactions: NoleLizards
Forgot to come back and update
Clemson got all square Porter and Gordon went to 20th hole, a par 3
Clemson guy knocked it in from about 20 and Porter missed from about 12 ft
so we did take the L today unfortunately
I hate purple and orange...who would ever pair those two colors...? o_O

Got to watch the guy play practice round today. Everyone is totally relaxed. That’s why the guys love to come to Valspar.
No cards this week just observations. First, they were able to put enough water on the course to keep the ryegrass from dying.But they are cutting and rolling every evening. Still looks like length matters. But the greens are very fast. Met Justin Rose putting guy. They make balanced putters. Really nice guy. Got to see a new prototype putter. A patented milled face. Several guys looked sharp in the practice rounds but they are just that ... practice rounds. There may have been a couple of money games out there but maybe not. 🤫 Phil is a real early practice player. Tomorrow’s Pro-Am he tees it up at 7:50. The field is amazing. Any one of 15+ guys could win this week. Before I forget, my picks as of today are:
1. JT
2. Corey Conners
3. Paul Casey
4. Justin Rose
*replaced Bubba with Paul Casey

Last edited:
Not near as bad as orange and blue. Only ingrates would ever wear that nasty combination.

The gates wore blue velvet (oh-oh)
Bluer than velvet in the night
Paired with Orange it was a fright
from a-far

They wore blue velvet
Bright and ugly, that's no lie
From the head down to the thigh
No love lost

(apologies to Bobby Vinton)

Guys and gals. It has been a blast, but my heart is just not in it. I'm going to bow it for this season.
Maybe next! Good luck!

Guys and gals. It has been a blast, but my heart is just not in it. I'm going to bow it for this season.
Maybe next! Good luck!
Hate to see you go Tom
Your picks will rollover so if you want to join back in later just jump in the thread. Enjoyed having you play and if not this year hope you come back next year

Go Noles

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT