ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 24 The US Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • SpiethOpenTrophy-847-Redington.jpg
    Jordan Spieth has finished inside the top 5 in his last five major starts. (Andrew Redington/Getty Images)
• FIELD: Click here to view the full field list for the season's second major.

• COURSE: Oakmont Country Club, 7,254 yards, par 70. With a well-honed standing as America’s toughest test, Oakmont serves as the U.S. Open stage for a record ninth time and almost always identifies golf royalty. Built 112 years ago out of farmland just east of Pittsburgh, Oakmont is the only course ever built by Henry C. Fownes and unforgiving by design. The Pittsburgh industrialist and his son, William, believed a poor shot should be penalized and found a membership who shared that vision. Even today, the Oakmont membership’s average handicap is 11.2. Six of the Open’s eight previous champions are in the World Golf Hall of Fame, as are winners from two PGA Championships, a U.S. Women’s Open and a U.S. Amateur held at the club.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 600 points.

• CHARITY: The USGA distributes more than $5 million a year through its “For the Good of the Game” grants, helping create opportunities for underprivileged youth and people with disabilities. Among the recipients are The First Tee, LPGA-USGA Girls Golf, National Alliance for Youth Sports and National Alliance for Accessible Golf.

• FIELD WATCH: World No.1 Jason Day, who owns seven wins since last year’s Open, is joined by defending champion Jordan Spieth and 2011 winner Rory McIlroy at the forefront of a lineup expected to include 59 of the top 60 in the world rankings. … The lone exception is Thailand’s Thongchai Jaidee, who withdrew Thursday for unspecified personal reasons. … Six slots remain unfilled for players who move into the world top 60 by Monday and haven’t already qualified. William McGirt, who moved up to No.44 after winning the Memorial Tournament, is certain to get one. … A total of 11 amateurs are in the field, down seven from last year’s mark.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 268, Rory McIlroy (2011 at Congressional CC).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 63, Johnny Miller (4th round, 1973 at Oakmont), Tom Weiskopf (1st round, 1980 at Baltusrol), Jack Nicklaus (1st round, 1980 at Baltusrol), Vijay Singh (2nd round, 2003 at Olympia Fields).

• LAST YEAR: Spieth became the youngest man to win both the Masters and U.S. Open in the same year, standing alone at the end of a wild Sunday at Chambers Bay. Seemingly in control with two holes to play, the 21-year-old Texan lost his grip with a double bogey at No.17 and wasn’t sure his birdie at the par-5 18th would be enough with Dustin Johnson still to play. Sure enough, Johnson’s second shot stopped 12 feet from the hole for an eagle try that would have snatched victory. He missed that – then ran his 4-foot birdie attempt for a playoff past the left edge as Spieth watched in disbelief from the scoring trailer. Spieth (69) became the first player since Bobby Jones to convert a birdie at the 72nd hole into a one-shot triumph. Johnson wound up tied for second with Louis Oosthuizen, who birdied six of his final seven holes to fall just short.

• STORYLINES: Day, the PGA TOUR’s only three-time winner this season, seeks to add the Open trophy to recent acquisitions at the PGA Championship and THE PLAYERS. He held a share of the 54-hole lead at Chambers Bay, despite a bout with vertigo that saw him collapse late in his second round. … Johnson sets out again in quest of his first major crown, trying to step out from the shadow of his calamity at Chambers Bay. He held the 36-hole lead at the Open Championship and 18-hole lead at the PGA, only to fall back in subsequent rounds. … Phil Mickelson, six times an Open runner-up, makes his 26th Open start as he chases the final piece to complete the career Grand Slam. … In its eight previous Opens at Oakmont, just 23 players have been under par after 72 holes. None did it the last time out, as Angel Cabrera’s 2007 winning score was 5-over.

• SHORT CHIPS: After removing some 7,000 trees from the property prior to the 2007 Open, Oakmont has taken out a roughly equal number since then in its effort to restore the original look created by Fownes. … Just six defending Open champions have placed higher than 30th in their title defense. Tiger Woods did it three times, with a best of sixth at Bethpage in 2009, along with Retief Goosen (11th, 2005). Graeme McDowell (14th, 2011) and Justin Rose (12th, 2014). … The Open will be the final bow for Oakmont’s longtime head professional Bob Ford, who will step aside after 41 years serving the club. He’s also head pro at Seminole GC in Florida, a job he’ll keep.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. ET (FOX Sports 1), 5-8 p.m. (FOX). Saturday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. (FOX). Sunday, 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m. (FOX).

• PGA TOUR LIVE: None.

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-8 p.m. ET; Saturday, noon-7 p.m.; Sunday, noon-8 p.m. (U.S. Open on SiriusXM).

The PGSF FedEx Tourney is at the second major of the year. Oakmont is a great challenge for any golfer and looks like it is prepped for a great tournament in 2016.

Congratulations to last weeks winner HPT

No change in the overall leader board , DFS still leading the way

Leader%20through%20St%20Jude_zpsfhrreafp.png

Good Luck this week and enjoy the US Open

Judging by the rough I've seen, I don't think if anyone finishes under par it will be higher than -2. That stuff looks brutal. Should be entertaining and I'm looking forward to the US Open. Hopefully FOX's coverage won't be so amateurish again this year, but I think it will improve with the additions of Paul Azinger and Curtis Strange.

The CBS announcers predicted that the winner will be 4 to 5 over par. Oakmont has removed 15,000 trees [yes that is correct] to make it barren and play like St. Andrews. The PGA wants it to play like it did in 2007. The PGA wants the greens to run 14 on the stimp meter. The landscape is barren and you can see some part of every hole from the grandstands. The PGA says that Oakmont is the pace setter for the rest of the PGA courses.

Oakmont has a 300 yard par 3. :( It is the only course on the PGA that can get away with that. It also has a 464 yard par 4. Think about that for a moment.

In the last few years it has been radically transformed. In the pew section [between the bunkers] the grass is tall rye that is not cut. It's 2 to 3 feet tall. The course has steep inclines and deep ravines. The Pennsylvania Parkway runs through it and the water is in stark relief. Some of the bunkers are deep and the fairways are a mixture of bermuda, bent grass, and fescue. The greens run either front to back or back to front fairly steeply.

Bottom line is if you are not in the fairway, then you are going to be in deep doodoo. The greens are going to be hard to get the ball to stick and and they are going to be extremely fast. There won't be any trees, but the rough is going to eat the player's lunch.

Even par is going to be extremely hard to obtain for this tournament.

The CBS announcers predicted that the winner will be 4 to 5 over par. Oakmont has removed 15,000 trees [yes that is correct] to make it barren and play like St. Andrews. The PGA wants it to play like it did in 2007. The PGA wants the greens to run 14 on the stimp meter. The landscape is barren and you can see some part of every hole from the grandstands. The PGA says that Oakmont is the pace setter for the rest of the PGA courses.

Oakmont has a 300 yard par 3. :( It is the only course on the PGA that can get away with that. It also has a 464 yard par 4. Think about that for a moment.

In the last few years it has been radically transformed. In the pew section [between the bunkers] the grass is tall rye that is not cut. It's 2 to 3 feet tall. The course has steep inclines and deep ravines. The Pennsylvania Parkway runs through it and the water is in stark relief. Some of the bunkers are deep and the fairways are a mixture of bermuda, bent grass, and fescue. The greens run either front to back or back to front fairly steeply.

Bottom line is if you are not in the fairway, then you are going to be in deep doodoo. The greens are going to be hard to get the ball to stick and and they are going to be extremely fast. There won't be any trees, but the rough is going to eat the player's lunch.

Even par is going to be extremely hard to obtain for this tournament.
Because of the rough, I couldn't bring myself to pick Spieth. His fairways hit stat this year is poor. Now watch. He'll hit everything down the middle this week.

Because of the rough, I couldn't bring myself to pick Spieth. His fairways hit stat this year is poor. Now watch. He'll hit everything down the middle this week.

Nearly everyone has Day, so if I jinx him, it's pretty much a wash...This is the reason I picked him without any hesitation whatsoever. That 2 iron of his is about automatic in the fairway with plenty of length.

I see where the players are going to leave their drivers in the bag and use 1 and 2 irons off the tee because of the rough. Dustin said his 2 iron is about 260 yds in the air. That's a long way from the 350 to 400 yds + that he and Bubba get off the tee.

I see where Crawford's (one of the ametures) caddie slid into a bunker and broke his ankle. The bunkers are deep and the sand is really soft. It is going to be crazy these next few days. The players are not going to be able to go at the flags. Just getting on the green and getting the ball stopped is about all they can hope for.

The players struggling with irons, confidence, or decision making are going to get eaten up on this course.

I considered that aspect to his game this season. But the other player I considered is not much better and does not have the pedigree that Jordan already has.

After three weather delays, play is done for the day. Going to be a crowded Friday and Saturday. Some players have not even teed off yet.

I was torn as to which "W" I was going to pick. It was basically a coin flip, but I went with Willett over Westwood. FML.

Does anyone know what the USGA plans to do provided the weather holds up (which it should, looking at the forecast)? Are they going to try to play catch-up today and tomorrow to have the final round Sunday?

The PGA said this morning that the players that started their 1st round today will play 36 holes today. The players that finished their rounds early this morning will play their 2nd round early tomorrow morning. They will then determine the cut and play the 3rd round tomorrow afternoon and evening. Everything will be back on schedule for Sunday. After the cut tomorrow, the 3rd round will be played with threesomes instead of twosomes.

Talking with a member this morning about the day to day golf rounds. He said that this is a walking course. The only time that carts are used is when there is an event and the players are taken to the tee boxes to start the round. That's the only time carts are used.

Last edited:
I guess no one ever conveyed the old golf axiom, "You drive for show and putt for dough". He could have a 5 shot lead if he putted nearly as well as he plays off the tee.

The lack of birdies on the par 5's may come back to bite him. Twice he has three putted a par five.

The projected cut is plus 4, we'll see.

Now they think it could be +6.

Last edited:
I guess no one ever conveyed the old golf axiom, "You drive for show and putt for dough". He could have a 5 shot lead if he putted nearly as well as he plays off the tee.
You talkin' DJ or Piercy? :) Seriously though, seems the latter must have missed a half dozen 5-6 footers.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT