ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 26 The Rocket Mortgage Classic

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • johnson-847-rosskinnaird.jpg
    Dustin Johnson will tee it up in Detroit for the Rocket Mortgage Classic. (Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images)
Newly-crowned U.S. Open champion Gary Woodland returns to action for the first time since his triumph at Pebble Beach, highlighting the PGA TOUR’s first visit to Michigan after a decade of absence.

Dustin Johnson and Rickie Fowler also headline the roster coming to Detroit Golf Club, along with former Masters winners Bubba Watson and Patrick Reed. It’ll also be a showcase for fresh talent, as U.S. Amateur titleholder Viktor Hovland and NCAA champion Matthew Wolff tee it up.

FIELD NOTES: Xander Schauffele, who tied for third behind Woodland at Pebble Beach, helps give the lineup no fewer than 11 of the top 30 in the current FedExCup standings. … Woodland, Schauffele and Fowler help give the event 12 of this season’s PGA TOUR winners. … Japan’s Hideki Matsuyama also is among those giving the new event a test run. Detroit isn’t all that far from Akron, where Matsuyama recorded his last win at the 2017 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational. … Smylie Kaufman is set for just his third PGA TOUR start of 2019, playing on a medical extension for elbow issues that ended last season prematurely. … In addition to Hovland and Wolff, former USC standout Justin Suh has accepted a sponsor invitation.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

STORYLINES: The PGA TOUR is back in Michigan for the first time since 2009, when the former Buick Open ended a 33-year run at Warwick Hills G&CC outside Flint. Tiger Woods and Vijay Singh each were three-time winners of that event. … Woodland will step on the tee for the first time as a major champion, two weeks after his gritty performance at Pebble Beach brought him the U.S. Open trophy. He has four other top-10 finishes since the turn of the calendar in January. … A victory could vault Schauffele to the top of the FedExCup standings with a third win of the season. He tied for third at Pebble Beach. … Two British Open berths are available for players among the top eight not already booked for Royal Portrush. After Sunday, just one slot remains for the John Deere Classic’s top non-qualified finisher among the top 5.

COURSE: Detroit Golf Club (North), 7,334 yards, par 72. One of two Donald Ross designs on the property, the North course opened in 1916 and recently underwent an upgrade to get ready for the TOUR’s arrival. The club itself dates back to 1899, when William Ferrand and a handful of close friends acquired property on the city’s north side. Originally, the club was limited to just 100 memberships. Horton Smith, winner of the inaugural Masters among 32 PGA TOUR wins, served nearly two decades as DGC’s head professional until his death in 1963. The Horton Smith Invitational was established a year later in his honor. The U.S. Mid-Amateur came to DGC in 1992, as Danny Yates claimed a 1-up victory in the final over David Lind.

72-HOLE RECORD: Debut event.

18-HOLE RECORD: Debut event.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 3-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:45 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. (featured groups). Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). International subscribers (via GOLF.tv): Thursday-Friday, 11:030 to 22:00 GMT. Saturday-Sunday, 13:00 to 22:00.

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-6 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

The PGSF arrives in Michigan for first time in 10 years.

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @fsUTampa

@Bill From Tampa maintains overall season lead

ea1db253-a8c8-447f-86dc-1bf46dbc650c-original.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Where is everybody? Liz has usually mailed in his picks by the time I get around to reading the summary for the week...? What gives?? o_O

And did Xander WD? Don't see him on the list for the field...?

Last edited:
The democratic, diligent divining rod seems somewhat ambivalent about this week's tournament. It said the best if could do is:

Ryan Moore
Chez Reavie
Brandt Snedeker
Gary Woodland

Reactions: NoleinATL
Rickie Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Hideki Matsuyama
Gary Woodland
I noticed a couple of you guys put Woodland in there.
I didn't even see him in the field under the link above.
What gives?

Does this fall under 'super secret information obtained from the divining rod?'

I noticed a couple of you guys put Woodland in there.
I didn't even see him in the field under the link above.
What gives?

Does this fall under 'super secret information obtained from the divining rod?'

He is on the list and has anew club for the tournament

@FSUdawg You just might want to take a look at the field, my good Canine.

So, the link at the top took me to the Travelers Championship field.

I don't see a leader board yet so maybe the first ball hasn't been hit. If that is the case, I would change my selections to:

DJ
Matsuyama
Blixt
Fowler

If it is too late, oh well.

I don't see a leader board yet so maybe the first ball hasn't been hit. If that is the case, I would change my selections to:

DJ
Matsuyama
Blixt
Fowler

At least you picked one guy in the field. @Tom81 went 0 for 4.

Reactions: seminoleed

DJ
Matsuyama
Blixt
Fowler

I am going to allow change as long as no pick has teed off
I did not check the link, just pasted it in and it does route to Travelers field instead of Rocket field that @NoleLizards posted.

Since @Tom81 questioned link as well, I am open to chnages but the new pick can not have already teed off.

This exception is being made because the link was incorrect.
Please post new pick with tee time to get change approved

DJ
Matsuyama
Blixt
Fowler

I posted my edited lineup at 8:47AM, so it looks like 2 of the guys I tried to swap in already went off. Picking guys that haven't gone off yet, let's go with...Tee times below:

Can't use Matsuyama - 7:25AM
Can't use Fowler - 7:35AM
DJ - initial pick
Blixt - 1:05PM
Snedeker - 12:55
Patrick Reed - 1:05

I am at work and can’t see who’s Teeing off when.
I’ll take Woodland Fowler Snedeker and Reed

Post major let down. I’ll be interested to see if Woodland ever again finishes in the top three at a major.

Reactions: NoleinATL
NIA, I need to know if my revised picks were accepted?
Each week, I go to the first post of the next tournament and click the link for
the field. I then peruse the field, do minimal research and make my picks.
If I had been more observant, I would have noticed The Traveler's at the top
of the field.
I had simply grown to trust that link.
Then Thursday at lunch, I read that I was 0 for 4 in picking players, and then I read
that I can't pick players who have already teed off (understandable in most cases).
I don't have time at work to play with my phone, so I throw out 4 names that I notice
are in someone else's picks.

I don't really care if my revised picks do well, it's the principle of the matter.
TIA.

Freaking Bubba, 68 then balloons to a 75 to miss cut.o
NIA, I need to know if my revised picks were accepted?
Each week, I go to the first post of the next tournament and click the link for
the field. I then peruse the field, do minimal research and make my picks.
If I had been more observant, I would have noticed The Traveler's at the top
of the field.
I had simply grown to trust that link.
Then Thursday at lunch, I read that I was 0 for 4 in picking players, and then I read
that I can't pick players who have already teed off (understandable in most cases).
I don't have time at work to play with my phone, so I throw out 4 names that I notice
are in someone else's picks.

I don't really care if my revised picks do well, it's the principle of the matter.
TIA.

Couple league comments first--
1. I apologize for not catching the link error. I honestly have never clicked on the "field notes ", as the PGA First Look write up used to have a separate link for the field which they quit using a couple years ago and I try to remember to paste a new link . ( I guess I now know where they hid the link)
2. While this competition is for bragging rights only, that is really just a fun way to discuss golf , I do try and ,make it fair and equitable for everyone. I have always enjoyed the threads and take the responsibility of running it seriously so it is fun and fair, and people will continue to participate.

With that being said, based on Tom's posting history I do believe he made picks without checking who was on course and will accept his revised picks for this week.
In addition, that means @FSUdawg will receive the same courtesy and I will accept his original revision.

This is a first in the PGSF history and it may not be the decision of some , would have made , but I believe it is a fair outcome for the players involved as well as the other players.

I do not want to lose any players over this decision, so If anyone has an issue with the decision let me know in the thread , message me or you can email username at gmail .

Thank you. You are correct about me. I literally had 5 minutes at work to look at lunch, or
I would never have found out until Thursday evening.

You need to check Tom's background first. If he's a Gator, I say no. Otherwise, it's all for fun. ;)
In full disclosure Ed, a gator neighbor (he was a pharmacist) took me to my first FSU game in the late 60s.
I will always be grateful to him as he was kind to me. That said, living 50 miles from Tally and going to the erector set, THE DIE WAS CAST!
Bill McGrotha was my 'go to' long long before Jerry Kutz' Osceola drew breath.

Honestly NIA, I don't care which version of my picks you use for this week. I'm in next to last place in the standings and another bad week isn't going to make a difference for me. I'm new here this season and learning as I go. I used to watch a lot of golf but stopped watching about 12 years ago. This has helped me get back into the sport some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT