ADVERTISEMENT

Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 28: The Genesis Scottish Open

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006

rory-trophy-photo.jpg

Written by Adam Stanley@Adam_Stanley
The PGA TOUR is co-sanctioning the Genesis Scottish Open for the third straight year, with roughly 75 TOUR pros alongside a similar number from the DP World Tour.
It’s prime time for players to start making important moves to achieve their respective goals for this season, with battles for FedExCup Playoffs and Presidents Cup spots in the headlights for many.
Rory McIlroy will return to defend at The Renaissance Club and will tee it up for the first time since the U.S. Open. No one has successfully defended their title at the Genesis Scottish Open, with McIlroy looking to end that drought – and win for the third time on TOUR this season.

An impressive field will once again test their mettle at a links layout, which will certainly pose ample questions across four competition days.
Here’s everything else you need to know as the PGA TOUR returns to Scotland.
FIELD NOTES: Rory McIlroy will return to defend his title at the Genesis Scottish Open – returning to the PGA TOUR for the first time since falling just short at the U.S. Open at Pinehurst. McIlroy won last year’s Genesis Scottish Open in his debut at The Renaissance Club, and his approach shot on the 18th hole has been memorialized with a plaque from the club. There has never been a repeat winner of the Genesis Scottish Open … Will Zalatoris is set to tee it up after withdrawing from the Rocket Mortgage Classic due to a hip injury … Last year’s runner-up Robert MacIntyre returns to action in his home country in hopes of doing one better this time around – and now as a PGA TOUR winner at this year’s RBC Canadian Open … Xander Schauffele looks to continue his tremendous 2024 campaign as he heads across the pond. Schauffele has 11 top-10 finishes in 16 events this year, including a win at the PGA Championship. He has notched five straight top-15 finishes on the PGA TOUR and won the 2022 Genesis Scottish Open … Reigning FedExCup champ Viktor Hovland is back in action as he looks to make a late-season run into the Playoffs. Hovland finished T25 at last year’s Genesis Scottish Open … With this event co-sanctioned by the DP World Tour, there are roughly 75 DP World Tour pros teeing it up this week including Rasmus Højgaard (along with brother Nicolai) and Alex Fitzpatrick (along with brother Matt) … Sunday’s breakthrough winner, Davis Thompson, looks to continue his fine run of play across the pond. Thompson has notched three straight top-10 finishes including his record-setting win at the John Deere Classic, where he set a tournament scoring record (28-under 256) at TPC Deere Run.

HIGHEST-RANKED PLAYERS IN THE FIELD
World RankingFedExCup
2. Rory McIlroy2. Xander Schauffele
3. Xander Schauffele3. Rory McIlroy
6. Ludvig Åberg4. Collin Morikawa
4. Wyndham Clark5. Wyndham Clark
6. Collin Morikawa6. Ludvig Åberg
7. Viktor Hovland7. Hideki Matsuyama
11. Tommy Fleetwood8. Sahith Theegala
12. Brian Harman10. Byeong Hun An
13. Hideki Matsuyama14. Matthieu Pavon
14. Sahith Theegala15. Sungjae Im
SPONSOR EXEMPTIONS: Tom Kim, who finished tied for sixth last season at the Genesis Scottish Open, returns to action at The Renaissance Club. Kim has two top-10s this season including a playoff loss at last month’s Travelers Championship. Kim finished third in his Genesis Scottish Open debut … Scotland’s David Law will tee it up at his home country’s open for the second straight year. Law won on the DP World Tour in 2019 after a celebrated amateur career … Boise State sophomore Cole Rueck won the 2024 Collegiate Showcase at Riviera Country Club in February to earn a start at the Genesis Scottish Open (with the Genesis Invitational now a Signature Event on the PGA TOUR schedule). Rueck, of the University of Oregon, was the 2023-24 Mountain West Individual Champion and was a 2023-24 All-Mountain West selection … Three spots were awarded to KPGA pros: Sanghyun Park, Jeong Woo Ham and Junghwan Lee … Major champions Stewart Cink and Gary Woodland round out the sponsor exemptions.
COMCAST BUSINESS TOUR TOP 10 UPDATES: After last week’s John Deere Classic each of the players in the TOUR TOP 10 retained their exact spots … Last season’s Genesis Scottish Open winner, McIlroy, stands No. 3 but trails leader Scottie Scheffler by 3,323 points. Schauffele (who won the 2022 Genesis Scottish Open) remains at No. 2 … Byeong Hun An – who tied the 18-hole scoring record at The Renaissance Club last season – continues to be the only player inside the TOUR TOP 10 each week so far in 2024.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points

COURSE: The Renaissance Club, par 70, 7,237 yards. This will be the sixth edition of the Genesis Scottish Open hosted at the Tom Doak club, opened in 2007, located between North Berwick and Muirfield, both iconic Open Championship layouts. The Renaissance Club’s 18 holes were carved out of 300 acres of pine forest but kept several trees in strategic fairway and greenside positions. Five years after the course opened, a land swap arrangement with The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers (Muirfield) allowed the club to build three new holes along the coastline.
72-HOLE RECORD: 262, Bernd Wiesberger (2019)
18-HOLE RECORD: 61, Bernd Wiesberger (Round 2, 2019), Byeong Hun An (Round 1, 2023)
LAST TIME: McIlroy hit what he said would go down as “one of the best shots” he’d hit in his career to win the Genesis Scottish Open by one shot after a final-hole birdie. McIlroy roasted a 2-iron into the wind to just 10 feet on No. 18 at The Renaissance Club to add one final circle on his scorecard – after making birdie on the penultimate hole of the championship, too. The birdie-birdie finish wrapped up a 2-under 68 for McIlroy to top Scotland’s own Robert MacIntyre, whose 64 Sunday was the day’s low round. McIlroy made four bogeys on his first nine in the final round to go out in 2-over 37, but he found his form on the back side, making four birdies including the two in a row to close out his day. MacIntyre put in a valiant effort but fell just short (he has since become a TOUR winner at this year’s RBC Canadian Open, and he was also part of Europe’s winning Ryder Cup team last fall). David Lingmerth, Scheffler and An (who tied the 18-hole tournament scoring record with a first-round 61) ended up tied for third.

Congratulations again to last week's winner @NoleLizards

With another solid week, Mrs BFT maintains the overall season lead

Screenshot-2024-07-07-173550.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Last edited:
In my never-ending effort to try and find something new that might change my luck, I'm going to try being first to post with really early picks in hopes of all of them withdrawing so I'll be forced to select better players. Here goes:

Nick Taylor
Tom Hoge
Hideki Matsuyama
Cuzzin Harmon

This would be an interesting choice after being left off last years team

This is less surprising, as Keegan is fiery and is not going to let the PGA vs LIV keep the better players off the team

Reactions: NoleLizards
Looks like maybe you should've given Thompson another week?
He (Schauffele) was the best player this week. I would've been surprised if he hadn't won. He won't win the US Open though... He'll go back to being a par golfer when I pick him.
Picked Xander instead... My above prediction in the PGA Championship thread about him returning to mediocre form once I began choosing him has come to fruition.

Wow. I've never been that close to doing something like that, so I'm not sure, but does the resting ball get replaced at where it was approximately? Who determines that if so?

You have to play it as it lies--I looked it up to confirm and found this article with an outstanding example from the 2016 Masters.

Here is an explanation on Collin's ball

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: seminoleed
Man, those guys out there today were firing at the flag left and right. You'd see a guy knock it close to the hole and his playing partner would get even closer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleinATL
Awoke this morning and was pleasantly shocked to see that Min Woo Lee had actually somehow made the cut at -3....My fraction of a second of relief was immediately shattered when I moved my eyeballs over to see he's even through 17. I'm 0 for 2 and BBQ with Min Woo now in the last month. I'm done with him forever.

Awoke this morning and was pleasantly shocked to see that Min Woo Lee had actually somehow made the cut at -3....My fraction of a second of relief was immediately shattered when I moved my eyeballs over to see he's even through 17. I'm 0 for 2 and BBQ with Min Woo now in the last month. I'm done with him forever.
Sigh. Hideki Yokohama DIDN'T make the cut. I need to stop picking him as well.

Rory may need Scottie to give him some putting advice...He can't make anything!! 😡

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT