ADVERTISEMENT

Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 33 The BMW Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
The First Look: BMW Championship

Written by Adam Stanley@Adam_Stanley
The fields are getting tighter and the drama is getting higher.
The PGA TOUR heads to Olympia Fields for the BMW Championship – a return after the big-time playoff in 2020 – the second leg of the FedExCup Playoffs with a 50-player field all eager to nail their spots at East Lake.
Jon Rahm won the BMW Championship the last time it was contested at Olympia Fields, and he’ll look to recreate some magic at the Midwest venue. He remains No. 1 in the FedExCup standings heading into the BMW Championship thanks to his four wins this season, but Scottie Scheffler is nipping at his heels, remaining just 148 points behind.
Patrick Cantlay, the two-time defending champion of the BMW Championship, is coming into the week after losing in a playoff to Lucas Glover at the FedEx St. Jude, the first leg of the FedExCup Playoffs.
“In a good spot and two big weeks coming up, so I’m looking forward to it,” Cantlay said Sunday in Memphis, Tennessee. “I’m obviously playing really well, and next week is a golf course that I enjoy, so I’m looking forward to it.”
While Cantlay is looking to make some PGA TOUR history with a BMW Championship three-peat, there will be twenty other golfers whose season will be finished come Sunday night in Illinois.
It’s the Playoffs – anything can happen.
FIELD NOTES: Lucas Glover will look to make it three wins in a row on the PGA TOUR after capturing both the Wyndham Championship and the FedExCup St. Jude Championship. He enters the BMW Championship fourth in the FedExCup standings. His win Sunday gave him a huge jump from his original spot at No. 49. The top three in the FedExCup standings remain unchanged for the second leg of the Playoffs – with Jon Rahm, Scottie Scheffler, and Rory McIlroy still on the podium. McIlroy finished T3 in Memphis, while Scheffler was T31 and Rahm was T37. Two golfers moved inside the top 50 after their results this weekend – Cam Davis (45) and Hideki Matsuyama (47) – while Mackenzie Hughes and Nick Hardy were bumped out. The final three golfers to earn their tickets to Olympia Fields were No. 48 Tom Hoge, No. 49 Harris English, and No. 50 Patrick Rodgers. Eric Cole is the only rookie to advance to the BMW Championship, currently at No. 42 in the FedExCup standings.
Highest Ranked Players in the Field
World RankingFedExCup
1. Scottie Scheffler1. Jon Rahm
2. Rory McIlroy2. Scottie Scheffler
3. Jon Rahm3. Rory McIlroy
4. Patrick Cantlay4. Lucas Glover
5. Viktor Hovland5. Patrick Cantlay
6. Xander Schauffele6. Max Homa
7. Max Homa7. Viktor Hovland
8. Brian Harman8. Wyndham Clark
10. Matt Fitzpatrick9. Brian Harman
11. Wyndham Clark10. Tommy Fleetwood

STORYLINES:

1) The TOUR is in its Glover era
With his win in Memphis, Lucas Glover heads to Olympia Fields looking to accomplish an even rarer feat than going back-to-back – winning three in a row. It’s happened just twice on TOUR since 2004, but this is the second time this season when a golfer has a chance to win three in a row, after Jon Rahm won The Sentry and The American Express earlier in 2023 (Rahm finished tied for seventh in his attempt at No. 3).
2) Cantlay can’t lose at the BMW
Speaking of back-to-back, Patrick Cantlay, who lost in a playoff to Glover in Memphis, is looking for his third straight title at the BMW Championship, despite it being contested over three different golf courses. Each of the golfers who tried for their third-straight TOUR titles this season – Viktor Hovland (World Wide Technologies Championship), Sam Burns (Valspar Championship), KH Lee (AT&T Byron Nelson) and Rory McIlroy (RBC Canadian Open), fell short in their attempts. Cantlay is up next, while Max Homa will go for three in row at the Fortinet Championship in September.
3) Ins and outs for the TOUR Championship
Last year, four golfers moved inside the top 30 in the FedExCup standings via their finishes at the BMW Championship to secure their spots at the TOUR Championship in Atlanta. Scott Stallings led the way after finishing runner-up, but Adam Scott, KH Lee and Aaron Wise (magic No. 30) also all earned their way into the season finale. With spots in the TOUR Championship up for grabs, the drama won’t stop until the final putt drops Sunday afternoon.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 2,000 FedExCup points.
COURSE: Olympia Fields Country Club (North Course), par 70, 7,366 yards. The storied, multi-time major championship host venue returns as the BMW Championship course for the second time, the first coming in 2020. The club, which has hosted four men’s majors plus the 2017 KPMG Women’s PGA Championship, underwent a hearty renovation by Mark Mungearn in 2013. The North Course, designed by Willie Park Jr., features eight holes with water and 91 bunkers.
72-HOLE RECORD: 261, Patrick Cantlay/Bryson DeChambeau (2021 – Caves Valley Golf Club)
OLYMPIA FIELDS TOURNAMENT RECORD: 276, Jon Rahm, Dustin Johnson (2020)
18-HOLE RECORD: 59, Jim Furyk (2nd round, 2013)
OLYMPIA FIELDS COURSE RECORD: 64, Jon Rahm (4th round, 2020)
LAST TIME: Patrick Cantlay successfully defended his title at the BMW Championship – winning the second leg of the FedExCup on two separate courses. He became the first player to win the BMW Championship back-to-back since the FedExCup began in 2007, topping Scott Stallings by one shot. He finished at 14 under. Stallings missed four birdie chances from inside 18 feet in the final round, however, the consolation prize for his runner-up result was his first trip to the TOUR Championship. Xander Schauffele and Scottie Scheffler finished tied for third at 11 under.
The last time the BMW Championship was contested at Olympia Fields in 2020, Jon Rahm defeated Dustin Johnson in a thrilling playoff after nailing a 66-foot birdie putt on the first extra hole.
HOW TO FOLLOW: (All times ET)
Television:
Thursday-Friday, 2 -6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 1 -3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 -6 p.m. (CBS). Sunday, 12 -2 p.m. (Golf Channel), 2-6 p.m. (CBS)
ThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Stream 1Main Feed: 9:15 a.m.-2 p.m.Main Feed: 9:15 a.m.-2 p.m.Main Feed: 9:15 a.m.-1 p.m.Main Feed: 9:15 a.m.-noon
Featured Group: 2-6 p.m.Featured Group: 2-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1-6 p.m.Featured Group: noon-6 p.m.
Stream 2Marquee: 10:15 a.m.-2 p.m.Marquee: 10:15 a.m.-2 p.m.Marquee: 10:15 a.m.-1 p.m.Marquee: 10:15 a.m.-noon
Featured Group: 2-6 p.m.Featured Group: 2-6 p.m.Featured Group: 1-6 p.m.Featured Group: noon-6 p.m.
Stream 3Featured Groups: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.Featured Groups: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.Featured Groups: 10 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Groups: 10 a.m.-noon
Featured Hole: 2-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 2-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1-6 p.m.Featured Hole: noon-6 p.m.
Stream 4Featured Holes: 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.Featured Holes: 9:30 a.m.-noon
Featured Hole: 2-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 2-6 p.m.Featured Hole: 1-6 p.m.Featured Hole: noon-6 p.m.
PGA TOUR LIVE is available exclusively on ESPN+
  • Main Feed: primary tournament-coverage featuring the best action from across the course
  • Marquee Group: new “marquee group” showcasing every shot from each player in the group
  • Featured Groups: traditional PGA TOUR LIVE coverage of two concurrent featured groups
  • Featured Holes: a combination of par-3s and iconic or pivotal holes
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.–6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio

Congratulations again to last week's winner @cmanole

@DFSNOLE, with a second-place finish, extends his lead going into the last week of the regular season

Leader-thru-st-jude-23.png

good luck to everyone this week

Last edited:
Russell Henley
Scottie Scheffler
Max Homa
Jordan Spieth

That's my fab four for the week.

One, two, three, par four

No one I think is on my tee
I mean, you can drive it high or low
Thing is, you can't, you know, push it far left or right
With fairways tight, you miss, too bad

Let the PGSF take you down
'Cause they're teeing off at Olympia Fields
The Playoffs are real
But nothing to get hung(over) about
Olympia Fields forever

Putting is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be top 50 but it all works out
It doesn't matter 'til Sunday

Let 'em take you down
'Cause we're teeing off at Olympia Fields
The BMW is surreal
But nothing to get bummed about
Olympia Fields forever

Always, no sometimes, think it's Rory
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think I know, I mean a... yes
But picking Rahm is all wrong
That is, I think I'll go with Spieth

Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Olympia Fields
Nothing seems real
And nothing to get hung(up) about
FEDEX playoffs at Olympia Fields forever

Russell Henley
Scottie Scheffler
Max Homa
Jordan Spieth

That's my fab four for the week.

One, two, three, par four

No one I think is on my tee
I mean, you can drive it high or low
Thing is, you can't, you know, push it far left or right
With fairways tight, you miss, too bad

Let the PGSF take you down
'Cause they're teeing off at Olympia Fields
The Playoffs are real
But nothing to get hung(over) about
Olympia Fields forever

Putting is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be top 50 but it all works out
It doesn't matter 'til Sunday

Let 'em take you down
'Cause we're teeing off at Olympia Fields
The BMW is surreal
But nothing to get bummed about
Olympia Fields forever

Always, no sometimes, think it's Rory
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think I know, I mean a... yes
But picking Rahm is all wrong
That is, I think I'll go with Spieth

Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Olympia Fields
Nothing seems real
And nothing to get hung(up) about
FEDEX playoffs at Olympia Fields forever

Brilliant, Noler, absolutely f'in' brilliant, I say.

This seems like it would cause a terrible backup

Pretty cool idea. If you notice, the tee marker indicates that it is the 19th hole, and the sign on the wall says "HOLE IN ONE WINS LIFETIME PASS TO MT ATLANTICUS."

Many putt-putt courses are set up such that when you hole out on 18, the ball goes through a pipe to back to the front desk. This place just has a spin on it - you finish your round, then have one final shot for a lifetime pass should you happen to luck out & make an ace. I doubt they give out many lifetime passes.

I have been picking Matthew Fitzpatrick like clockwork all year. Over the past few weeks he has been sucking wind, so I drop him from my lineup, and he shoots 66.

Watch, he will win the damn thing this week. Then I'll pick him next week and he will finish back near the bottom.

I have been picking Matthew Fitzpatrick like clockwork all year. Over the past few weeks he has been sucking wind, so I drop him from my lineup, and he shoots 66.

Watch, he will win the damn thing this week. Then I'll pick him next week and he will finish back near the bottom.

Isn't that how it always works.

For me, I don't pick Fleetwood and he is brilliant out there. I picked him this week. You know how that will turn out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT