ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 8 The Honda Classic

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • MickelsonFirstLook-847-.jpg
    Phil Mickelson is set to take on the infamous Bear Trap at PGA National. (Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)
• FIELD: Click here to see who's set to tee it up at PGA National

• COURSE: PGA National (Champion), 7,158 yards, par 70. Created with major events in mind, the original George & Tom Fazio layout took its first bow as site of the 1983 Ryder Cup where a Lanny Wadkins' birdie at No.18 vs. Jose Maria Canizares thwarted European upset hopes. The Champ also staged the 1987 PGA Championship, won by Larry Nelson, before Jack Nicklaus gave it a redesign in 1990, introducing the treacherous “Bear Trap” of Nos. 15, 16 and 17. The course also staged 19 Senior PGA Championships through 2000, going on competitive hiatus until the Honda arrived in 2007.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

• CHARITY: Children’s Healthcare Charity, supporting advances in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of childhood diseases and disorders. The Nicklaus Children’s Heath Care Foundation is primary beneficiary, with more than 40 other nonprofits also receiving grants.

• FIELD WATCH: World No.2 Rory McIlroy and No.4 Rickie Fowler, who both make the Palm Beach area their home, top a deep field that features 13 of the top 25 in the current rankings. No.9 Patrick Reed and No.10 Branden Grace are other top-10 entrants. … Phil Mickelson is back for a third consecutive visit, trying to keep building on a trio of top-11 finishes in his past four outings. … In all, no fewer than 19 entrants keep a home within 45 minutes of PGA National.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 264, Justin Leonard (2003 at Mirasol). PGA National record: 267, Camilo Villegas (2010).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 61, Brian Harman (2nd round, 2012).

• LAST YEAR: Padraig Harrington ended a seven-year dry spell, outlasting Daniel Berger in a Monday playoff after clawing back from a four-shot deficit with nine to play in regulation. The winner of three majors ran off four straight birdies to take the lead, gave it back with a watery double bogey at the par-3 17th, then birdied the 18th to force the playoff. Back at No. 17, Harrington watched this tee shot stop 3 feet from the pin while Berger splashed into the water. It was Harrington’s first PGA TOUR victory since the 2008 PGA Championship, a slide that had taken him to 297th in the World Ranking and need a sponsor exemption to get into the Honda field. Ian Poulter took a three-shot lead to the final round, but five shots in the water led to a closing 74.

promo249593184

• Shots of the Week
    Padraig Harrington's playoff finish leads Shots Of The Week

• STORYLINES: McIlroy, the 2012 Honda champion, and Fowler should draw large followings in their adopted home. It’ll be McIlroy’s second start in a run of six tournaments in seven weeks leading to the Masters Tournament. … Grace tees it up in the only event in Florida he hasn’t played before, having joined the Palm Beach migration for his first full season on the PGA TOUR. He won the Qatar Masters in his last start three weeks ago. … Harrington hopes to catch a little magic again at PGA National, having followed last year’s victory with just three top-20 finishes worldwide. However, two of those came during the TOUR’s West Coast Swing.

• SHORT CHIPS: Since the Honda moved to PGA National in 2007, the “Bear Trap” has accounted for 18 percent of all bogeys in the event, 33 percent of all double bogeys and 40 percent of all triple bogeys or worse. All told, 76 percent of all Honda entrants since 2007 have put at least one ball in the water. … Nicklaus is the only man to win back-to-back Honda Classic titles, coming in 1977 and ’78. … It’s the final chance for pros to get into next week’s WGC-Cadillac Championship, awarding spots to anyone not previously qualified who moves into the world top 50 or the FedExCup’s top 10.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 2-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-3 p.m. (GC); 3-6 p.m. (NBC).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. ET (featured groups), 3-6 p.m. (featured holes). Saturday-Sunday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. (featured holes).

Finally back in Florida
BobCat still leading , lets see if he survives the Florida swing
Leader%20Through%20Northern%20Trust_zpsn1ebcqey.png

good luck to everyone this week..

Eff me man, I forgot and have been working restoration efforts from tornado damage last night. Give me a 0 for the week.

Effing tax season, forgot to make my picks. Hope the four duffers I had last week worked hard on their games over the last couple of days.

Last week I pick Sergio Garcia and he shoots +5 in the first round. This week I don't pick Sergio Garcia and he shoots -5 in the first round. Looks like I am starting to inherit NoleLizard's picking jinx!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Last week I pick Sergio Garcia and he shoots +5 in the first round. This week I don't pick Sergio Garcia and he shoots -5 in the first round. Looks like I am starting to inherit NoleLizard's picking jinx!

Same issue here.

Hideki withdrew they said a short time ago. I guess that makes up for Garcia as I was considering him but passed.

dang, what a difference start time makes for a couple of my picks...ouch

These frequent commercial breaks after each time Surge & Scott hit their shots is sure making it easy for me to flip over and keep an eye on the FSU hoops game.

Was just re-reading NiA's course bio in the first post and was wondering why no regular tour majors have been played here since the redesign in the early 90's. I'd love to see the Open played here. Could you imagine the natural pressure already for the leaders combined with having to face the Bear Trap coming down the stretch on Sunday?

(Almost as soon as I sent this post, I thought "duh, it's Florida in June". I just checked the average temps for Palm Beach Gardens in June and the high is 88 with what I imagine would be an appreciable sea breeze. I've seen Opens played in hotter conditions than that.)

Last edited:
Before the tourney started I wondered how Adam Scott would do with the new shorter putter. After that birdie just now on 1 to take the lead, it would appear he is doing just fine with it.

Outstanding! Just as Horschel hits his tee shot on 17, someone in the gallery clearly yells, "Gay goater!". Ball goes in the water
and Horschel is steamed, staring into the crowd. Someone in that gallery is my hero.

Sergio needs to make a charge late, for some reason I can not put my finger on, just don't want to see Scott win this week

I"m with NIA. If I don't particularly like a player (the old Sergio, Tom Kite, Billy Horschel), I generally have a reason I can put my
finger on. But Scott....seems like a good person, is a good player, doesn't act pompous, yet I don't like him for some reason.

ugh, Sergio being Sergio , and Scott in the fairway...booooo

That was the Sergio I expected to see. He just waited until the 4th round to do it.

Easy to figure who won the contest this week.

Was just re-reading NiA's course bio in the first post and was wondering why no regular tour majors have been played here since the redesign in the early 90's. I'd love to see the Open played here. Could you imagine the natural pressure already for the leaders combined with having to face the Bear Trap coming down the stretch on Sunday?

(Almost as soon as I sent this post, I thought "duh, it's Florida in June". I just checked the average temps for Palm Beach Gardens in June and the high is 88 with what I imagine would be an appreciable sea breeze. I've seen Opens played in hotter conditions than that.)

It also rains every afternoon. The greens probably wouldn't be fast enough for the USGA. You'd also lose the wind that makes 15-17 so tough. February through April has a nice swirling breeze that still gives Raymond Floyd nightmares.

Nice win for Scott, and as BFT mentioned , he looks pretty good with the new putter. Will be interesting to watch how it translates into the majors this year

Congratulations to this weeks winner DFS

Honda%20Winner_zpsrblkmwoq.png

will post updated leader-board shortly

Nice win for Scott, and as BFT mentioned , he looks pretty good with the new putter. Will be interesting to watch how it translates into the majors this year

Congratulations to this weeks winner DFS
Thank you very much. I know how much you were rooting for Scott and thus me. I'm touched.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT