ADVERTISEMENT

Postgame press conference following 31-23 loss to Louisville (Norvell, Corbin, Milton, Johnson, Parchment, Brownlee)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
Another Saturday, another L.
Defense played much better in the second half, offense made sure it didn't end up mattering.
Seminoles fall to 0-4 with a 31-23 loss to the Cardinals.

Stay right here for postgame quotes from Norvell and a few players.

"Hard fought game. ... They started out fast. ... We didn't play well in the first half really in any phase. Gave up big plays, had miscommunications... struggled on third downs. ... Came in at halftime and challenged the guys and pushed them to focus on the play ahead.

"Defensively did a great job of getting off the field. ... Still, some missed opportunities. Had our chances. Didn't finish drives. We were very aggressive in what we were trying to do to get back in position. Got to finish it. Thought our guys did a better job of playing with more discipline, limiting penalties and didn't turn the ball over until the last play. ... Have to eliminate the missed assignments. ... I believe in the way the guys responded. I thought the entire game we were going to come back and win.

"I was really pleased with the defensive effort in the second half. Offensively we've got to continue to grow and develop."

Defensive start: "It was really disappointing. ... Blown coverage, really no reason for it. Was supposed to have a deep safety ... couldn't get off the field on third down. ... Thought our guys were able to settle in more in the second half. The execution was much better."

Says there were a couple of tweaks defensively on third down, and they did a better job of executing. ... It wasn't a lot of wholesale changes.

Says they noticed a lot of twisting in the first half from Louisville D-line, from multiple fronts. Credits Atkins and Dillingham with making adjustments for being able to pop some runs.

"The thing we can control is how we show up every day. ... This team has been working for out identity. ... The team came to work last week. .... Still missed opportunities. Had a couple of dropped passes. Have to be better on offensive protection. ... At the end of this day, this team wants to improve. Continuing to try to set the foundation of what this team and what this program is all about ... I've seen flashes of it, I've seen a lot of great flashes of what this team can do. We've yet to put it together for 60 minutes, and that's our job. ... We've just got to continue to build our own depth ... that record is where we are, it's what we've earned."

He says he saw progress "at times, just not consistently for three and half hours." Says the start was again poor, "that's a reflection on me. ... that's not showing up the way we need it to. Continue to evaluate all things that we're doing. ... It's not shocking that they played hard, they continued to fight, put themselves in position after being down 31-7 in the first half and fought back. ... We had plenty of opportunities."

On Milton: "There were some really good plays and there were plays obviously we'd like to have back. ... Things that we've got to continue to do as we're growing up up front. These guys are battling. ... Just got to continue to push ... I think all in all McKenzie did some really good things ... just like all games there were some plays he'd like to have back."

"You've just got to continue to work to put yourself in that moment. ... Continue to invest in the work so that in the moment we're able to go perform the way they're capable of. ... Continue to make that investment."

On second half defense: "I want that to show up for 60 minutes. That's what i want to see. Those guys are capable. No doubt in my mind. I know the calls, I know the looks, the things that we're emphasizing throughout the week. We've got to continue to push and play at a level where these guys can (play well) ... we've got to take those experiences and build upon them. In reality, it might not be every person on the team that's all-in, but we've got to make sure we find the guys that are willing ... to prepare ..."

"Opportunity to respond, we faced that there at halftime. Nobody was happy ... they made the choice to go out and play better ... they put us in position to win. We've got to go finish that. ... I'll never have a team where everybody is all in, but we've got the right guys continuing to push ... you guys can see, you know how hard they're practicing ... we've just got to go out there and execute for 3 1/2 hours."

That's a wrap on Norvell.

Jashaun Corbin up next.

Says teammates are a bunch of warriors for continuing to fight.

On why team can't put it together for all 60 minutes: "I'm not sure. Just got to get back to work, continue to clean things up and continue to buy into what Coach Norvell is doing."

"We're just a bunch of warriors, no matter what the situation is. ... We've still got things to clean up." But says brotherhood is important.

On locker room at halftime: "Just get back to work. Little things. Putting it together for 60 minutes."

"All those guys on defense ... seeing that is nothing new to me. I'm just thankful for those guys."

That's a wrap on Corbin.

Looks like we've got Jarvis Brownlee and Andrew Parchment.

Brownlee on first half: "We just stuck to it. What I know about this team is we play hard, we give effort. That's what we stick to. We play hard and stick to it."

Parchment on the offense: "We were just focusing on details. ... The first couple of drives of the first quarter, it was really just one on one battles we were losing. In the second half we did a better job."

Brownlee: "We're never going to give up. That's in our blood. We work hard, we know we prepare. ... We've just got to keep playing hard and execute, It all comes down to fundamentals."

Parchment: "I've been in this position before. It's not in our blood to quit, give up. ... I'm excited to get back to work tomorrow."

Parchment on final play: "I'm going to put that on me. ... The team brought me here to make those types of plays, I've got to come down with that ball. That's all on me."

Brownlee: "That first half was not our best football. ... We've seen it come bite us, that's not what we want (the slow starts)."

Parchment: "We've got to win our one-on-one battles."

Brownlee: "We've just got to work on coming out fast ... it's got to start as soon as we step on the field. ... Once we're on one page, it's hard to beat us. Because once we get that down, we're going to be good. .... We're going to keep fighting."

Brownlee: "There was a lot of miscommunication, a lot of mistakes we made in the first half ... we knew the mistakes we were making, it didn't catch us off guard. It was stuff we saw on film. ... Once that second half clicked, it was time to change the game around."

Parchment: "We come to work every single day and bust our ass. ... The competition on Tuesday and Wednesday is the best I've been around .... all the stuff we want is still in front of us."

Brownlee: "We've got to keep that same mentality. It's not just coming out like that in the second half. We've got to come out like that in the first half and set the tone."

That's a wrap on those two.

Looks like we've got McKenzie Milton and Jermaine Johnson.

Milton on offensive struggles: "It comes down to third downs."

Johnson: "We've got to learn to be a 60-minute team. That's all it is."

MIlton: "Personally, I don't feel like we're far off. ... I didn't play my best today. Our team didn't play its best today. ... Those plays are out there everywhere. They're there to be made. We've got to go do it."

Milton: "There's no moral victories ... we play to win the game. ... We have to have more of a sense of urgency."

Johnson: You get backed into a corner you can either curl up and get punched on or you can come out swinging ... if you come out every game like that you can accomplish more than we've accomplished."

That's a wrap on Milton and Johnson. Go watch the video, I had a hard time hearing them but they were saying good stuff it sounded like!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News