ADVERTISEMENT

Postgame press conference (video w/ Norvell, Milton, Corbin, J. Johnson)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017

"Obviously we did not have our team ready to play today. ... Came out and definitely did not play in any way to the standard that we're capable of. ... Penalties, self-inflicted mistakes ... 100 percent on me. Did not have the guys ready to go. That's something that will be fixed. Will be addressed in every potential way that we can moving forward. That was a very disappointing performance for our football team."

"Not being able to sustain drives offensively, gave up some explosive plays ... penalties that cost us ... there at the end, we didn't make the play to be able to finish it. ... Offensively, there was no rhythm. ... Very inconsistent in our passing game. Too many negative plays. And poor on third down ... We need to continue to evaluate where we are, which we will do, .. ... that's totally unacceptable."

"We pushed in practice. Had a short week. ... I expected a much different result. That definitely didn't show up to the standard we wanted to play. ... Defensively, I thought we played with good effort. ... late in the game it looked like we got worn down ... ... not putting ourselves in position to achieve success. .. very disappointed in how we played in a lot of phases."

On last play: "It was a two deep man under. Make sure we tried to get pressure on the quarterback. ... They still had one timeout. Just not to give up something quickly underneath or in the intermediate passing game ... receiver got behind us and we were not able to ... (Then a crazy noise with the mic).

On the penalties: "We've got to make a choice. Accountability is there, things we're trying to do to have a heightened sense of focus, details, that's something we've got to continue to re-evaluate.

"The plan was to go with McKenzie. As well as have drives there with Jordan. As we got into the game, we stayed with McKenzie throughout. Everybody was on the same page with ... there were too many times where we would get something, we'd have something negative that would set us back. A couple of missed assignments. ... There were some decisions tonight and some plays we'd like to have back ... at the end of the day, a lot more factors that go into it."

"You look at our third down offense ... not good enough. All the things that you need to do to play well. We did not accomplish that."

"I apologize to our fan base, to our university, to all Seminoles for the performance that we had. I take ownership of it. You go and you work ... this team has talent, they have heart, they truly do believe in what we can accomplish. We have to go execute it. ... We're going to continue to work. That's all that I know, that's all that I've ever been around ... been a part of very challenging times before, and tonight is a challenging time for our university and our football team for what we just did. We will get it corrected. ... It will be through the work that we do ... it's my responsibility to go get it corrected."

"For us, we have to get us correct. We have to go out there and make sure we're doing the things necessary. ... that needs to be our sole focus. Guys are extremely upset. They're all frustrated, as we are as a staff. The emotions after the game are one thing ... we've got to make sure we're willing to do the things throughout the game to be successful."

That's a wrap for Norvell. Short and sweet this week.
Not sure what players we'll be getting.

McKenzie Milton and Jashaun Corbin are here for interviews.

Milton: "Biggest thing was penalties. ... We get a first down and the next thing you know it's second and 25. You keep putting yourselves in those positions, it's a recipe for disaster."

Corbin: "It's just more so self-inflicted."

Milton: It's embarrassing. It's embarrassing the way we performed on the field today. We've got to own that. That's who we are. We're 0-2 and we lost to Jacksonville State."

Corbin: Every day just focus on the little things ... we've still got nine, 10 more games left. It's still early. We've just got to fix it."

Milton: "I felt good with the work we put in. I don't know if we played horrible in terms of executing, but it's hard to score points when youre 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 30 all night.

Corbin on last play: "Obviously it hurts. Obviously it's a shock. ... We've got to put that in the past and move on to Wake Forest."

Corbin: "I'm 100 percent healthy." said the coaches just wanted to have a rotation at RB and that's why he was on the sideline.

Milton: "You just focus one week at a time ... when you're satisfied after a loss this is the kind of stuff that happens ... getting patted on your back for your effort and things like that, but you still lost. We lost today. We are who we are. We're 0-2 and we got Wake Forest to start conference play."

Milton on Jax State planting the flag at midfield. "They won."

Only Travis Jay was on the field when the Jax State players did that with the flag. Everyone else was in the locker room.

On the series with both and Travis: "That was another series where we had a penalty. ... It really doesn't matter who's in there, if we keep putting ourselves in a position like that we're going to lose every game." ... Says they have to clean it up.

That's a wrap for Milton and Corbin.

Jermaine Johnson is up next.

"I just know that we tried our best to execute ... the things that were called ... and came up short."

On final play: "We didn't execute how we were supposed to. It's embarrassing, but all we can do is watch the tape, look at what we did wrong, and fix it."

"I'm a strong believer in no participation medals. ...We lost last week, I don't know if that played a factor in our response ... we just didn't execute tonight. It's painful. All we can do is watch the film, correct what we can correct ... and play smart football. The team that makes the least mistakes wins the game."

"It hurts. We could mourn on it for 24 hours, but we've got to shake it off. ... It's not just about us, it's the community, the city, fans all over the world .... we can't be fakes. We can't do that. We've got to put our best foot forward, have a great week, and flush it."

"We didn't get the job done. It was embarrassing. I'll keep it honest. It was. It was unacceptable. ... we lost the game, we lost that rep. It's unacceptable. I'm embarrassed. I'm sure we all are."

"We're still all bought in ... I know it hurts, I can't ask (younger guys) to not have emotions ... 24-hour rule ... this next week we have to flush it. We have to have a great response. It's what we've been building on. If not, we're just fake. All we can do is lead by example."

That's a wrap for Johnson.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll hear from Norvell and a few players after that horrid loss.
Unbelievable loss, really.
Anyway, should be on here in a few minutes. I'll update you with what was said.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News