ADVERTISEMENT

Prague...Munich & Prague...or London & Edinburgh?

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
All trips are for 2 people, leaving out of Tallahassee, March 22-29, 2018. Price includes flights for 2, hotels, and trains, if applicable. For this particular trip, we only have 1 week that we can both use for vacation at the same time, so a longer trip with more cities, while preferable, isn't an option. Also, b/c this is the LR, I feel compelled to point out that New Zealand also isn't an option:
  • Option 1: Prague: 6 nights, 5-star hotel, $2,300
  • Option 2: Munich & Prague: 3-nights each, 5-star hotels, 1st class train, $2,800
  • Option 3: London & Edinburgh: 3-nights each, 3-star hotels, 1st class train, $2,300

Considerations:
  • I've been to Prague. It's my favorite place I've ever visited - Just spectacular. I'd really like her to see it and I'd really like to go back.
  • Favorite notwithstanding, is there enough to do in and around Prague for a week? (my gut says no, but I could easily be persuaded)
  • Neither of us has ever been to Munich or Edinburgh. Both look awesome for different reasons.
  • I've been to London 4x. My fiance has been 1x. We are both really big Arsenal fans though. She has never seen a match and very much wants to go to one. I definitely want to go to another one. I've looked and we could easily get tix for the match that weekend. It would be the main reason for us to go to London at all.
  • Is there enough to do in Edinburgh for 3 days? It looks very small.
  • 5-star hotels in Prague are very cheap. It doesn't make sense not to stay in one.
  • 5-star hotel in Munich is a little more expensive, but the one I picked looks worth it to me.
  • I'm not as concerned with the hotel quality in London & Edinburgh. London hotels are outrageously expensive and the one I found in Edinburgh looks fine too, so that's the reason for only 3-star properties in each of those cities.
I'm really surprised at how inexpensive all these option are considering they involve flying out of Tallahassee. Apparently late March is a great time to visit Europe as long as you're willing to bundle your flights w/your hotels.

What would you do if you were me?

Option 2 is a no-brainer for me. Two great cities. Since you're bundling your flights/hotels, don't forget to bundle up while you're there....it can be chilly at that time of the year.

I think that's the one I'm leaning heavily towards as well. I appreciate the quick feedback from you guys that already responded!

I love Munich, and while I’m not as high on Prague as others here are, it’s certainly a nice city; that itinerary seems good. If you’re going to Munich I would urge you to try to visit Neuschwanstein Castle. It is stunning.

London is always a fun place to visit.

I was just in Scotland last month. We were mainly in Glasgow, but we did visit Edinburgh. Edinburgh was really cool to see, but I’m not sure that you’d need days there, if you’re only going to do tourist stuff. The Royal Mile is the main draw and it seems like you can see most of that stuff in a day.

If you go to Munich, watch the weather, as it’s liable to be quite cold still.

The wife and I have done the London-Edinburgh trip a few times and we really like it.
I have never been to Prague/Munich however.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I love Munich, and while I’m not as high on Prague as others here are, it’s certainly a nice city; that itinerary seems good. If you’re going to Munich I would urge you to try to visit Neuschwanstein Castle. It is stunning.

London is always a fun place to visit.

I was just in Scotland last month. We were mainly in Glasgow, but we did visit Edinburgh. Edinburgh was really cool to see, but I’m not sure that you’d need days there, if you’re only going to do tourist stuff. The Royal Mile is the main draw and it seems like you can see most of that stuff in a day.

If you go to Munich, watch the weather, as it’s liable to be quite cold still.
I agree with your Royal Mile assessment.

Reactions: HulaNole
I'm partial because my mom's side of the family all live in and around Munich. It's not chilly there, you will freeze your balls off if you aren't a cold weather person.

My wife's family is off the boat English, so that will probably be our next trip overseas.

All trips are for 2 people, leaving out of Tallahassee, March 22-29, 2018. Price includes flights for 2, hotels, and trains, if applicable. For this particular trip, we only have 1 week that we can both use for vacation at the same time, so a longer trip with more cities, while preferable, isn't an option. Also, b/c this is the LR, I feel compelled to point out that New Zealand also isn't an option:
  • Option 1: Prague: 6 nights, 5-star hotel, $2,300
  • Option 2: Munich & Prague: 3-nights each, 5-star hotels, 1st class train, $2,800
  • Option 3: London & Edinburgh: 3-nights each, 3-star hotels, 1st class train, $2,300

Considerations:
  • I've been to Prague. It's my favorite place I've ever visited - Just spectacular. I'd really like her to see it and I'd really like to go back.
  • Favorite notwithstanding, is there enough to do in and around Prague for a week? (my gut says no, but I could easily be persuaded)
  • Neither of us has ever been to Munich or Edinburgh. Both look awesome for different reasons.
  • I've been to London 4x. My fiance has been 1x. We are both really big Arsenal fans though. She has never seen a match and very much wants to go to one. I definitely want to go to another one. I've looked and we could easily get tix for the match that weekend. It would be the main reason for us to go to London at all.
  • Is there enough to do in Edinburgh for 3 days? It looks very small.
  • 5-star hotels in Prague are very cheap. It doesn't make sense not to stay in one.
  • 5-star hotel in Munich is a little more expensive, but the one I picked looks worth it to me.
  • I'm not as concerned with the hotel quality in London & Edinburgh. London hotels are outrageously expensive and the one I found in Edinburgh looks fine too, so that's the reason for only 3-star properties in each of those cities.
I'm really surprised at how inexpensive all these option are considering they involve flying out of Tallahassee. Apparently late March is a great time to visit Europe as long as you're willing to bundle your flights w/your hotels.

What would you do if you were me?

I can’t compare because I haven’t been to Munich and Prague yet, but my wife and I absolutely loved Edinburgh. More so than any other city (including London) in the British Isles.

And you could easily spend three days in the area. Probably four or five.

I’d suggest spending an entire day at “my castle”, Dalhousie Castle in Bonnyrigg just outside of Edinburgh. It’s the best B&B I’ve ever stayed at (and I’ve stayed at some great ones such as a colonial mansion in Mystic, Connecticut; a Baron’s Tudor-era hunting lodge in Wales; an amazing large beach house in Maui; a large mountain home overlooking Kaikoura, New Zealand; a pre-Civil War plantation in Virginia; etc...). For one the multi course dinner located in the dungeon was the best I had on a two week trip that included famous restaurants in London and Paris. And the breakfast was the best I had anywhere in the British Isles. The spa is fantastic so your female companion can relax. My suggestion would be to arrive early and do the beginning falconry and archery lessons at the castle where you’ll fly little owls, kestrels, peregrine falcons and even get to handle a Golden Eagle. Then check in and either drive out a bit to do some Scotch tours and tastings nearby (the Famous Grouse experience is a little over an hour away and I thought quite excellent. Obviously Johnnie gets more appreciation over here but in Scotland, Famous Grouse is the preferred blended iteration. There’s some single malt places nearby as well although the better ones are a couple of hours north and probably make for a day trip on their own) or spend some time golfing or at the spa. Then enjoy a great dinner in the dungeon and some local beers and Scotch in the bar hidden behind the shelves in the library. The next morning, I’d suggest using that new found falconry skills to do some actual hunting with Harris Hawks (the castle also does hunts but requires you to be licensed as they’re more protective of their birds, the other independent falconer I linked will let you hunt on his license using his own birds) for rabbits with the assistance of trained ferrets to drive them from their burrows OR you can do some great Salmon and Pike fishing in the Midlothian lochs.

https://www.dalhousiecastle.co.uk/

https://www.edinburghfalconryandfishing.com/toursandprices

That’s how I would spend two great days out of the three but there’s tons to do in and around Edinburgh. In fact if I had six days, I’d spend two in London, three in the Edinburgh area and one in one of the better Scotch regions doing tastings.

I’m heading to lunch now but I’ll pop in with more ideas later.

Munich is a great city. Love going there and hanging out in the Biergartens.

Option 2 is a no-brainer for me. Two great cities. Since you're bundling your flights/hotels, don't forget to bundle up while you're there....it can be chilly at that time of the year.
This. Plenty of time to see Prague, plus you get to visit a new city.

Reactions: LesClaypool
So if I had six days here’s what I would do.

Limit my London time since you’ve done it before you to just two days. Catch a musical or play or two in the West End as I do think it’s better than Broadway in general and maybe hit up a comedy club, hit some pubs, stop off at any of the good museums you may have mentioned (I’m sure you’ve done the Brit, but if you haven’t done the Tower plus the Crown Jewels tour and a tour of Westminister Abbey you should definitely do those). You’ve been there enough so I’ll just limit my statements on London up this.

Then I’d take the Flying Scotsman up to Edinburgh and rent a car near the station. Edinburgh itself is more of a walking city but I didn’t find it impossible to drive around and the Scottish countryside is pretty easy.

Day One and part of Two: Bypass the city stuff and head over to Bonnyrigg and do what I said before about the stuff inside and around Dalhousie Castle. I forgot to mention there’s a fair amount of gin distilleries in the area as well.

Day Two and part of Three: Make your way up to the Speyside distilleries. The northern most famous one is a 3.5 hour drive from Edinburgh but there are several famous Scotch distilleries within a 30-40 min drive of each other like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Macallan, Cardhu (one of the main suppliers for Johnnie Walker), Balvenie, Singleton of Glendullan, Glen Moray, Glenfarclas, Cragganmore, Glen Grant (which has a great gardens around the distillery) etc... Along the way there are some distilleries in between Edinburgh and the eastern Speyside concentration of distilleries around Dufftown like Dalwhinnie (which I really enjoyed touring although it’s considered a Highland malt, not a Speyside). If you stop off at the Famous Grouse Experience (which is located at Glenturret) either along the way or when in Bonnyrigg, you’ll get to see and try a couple of Scotches in both the Speyside category and the Highland Category (Dalwhinnie and Glenturret).
One cool thing to do in the Speyside would be canoing the Spey river while doing whiskey tasting but you’d need to add a day to this as it’s a 50 mile downriver trip.

http://www.spiritofthespey.co.uk/open-canoeing-journeys-river-spey-scotland/

There’s tons of picturesque craggy old castles to get great photos of and plenty of great golf courses if you’re into that (I’m not). I would highly recommend staying at the Mash Tun in Arbelour as it’s not just a great little B&B but one of the best pubs in the area with Scotches from all 50 Speyside distilleries as you’ll clearly never make it to all of them.

Day Four: Make it about Edinburgh. Do the Royal Mile and make sure you tour Edinburgh Castle and spend a couple of hours in the Camera Obscura and National Museum of Scotland. Grab dinner and more whiskey at the Arcade Bar (one of you should get the Diana preparation (a cream sauce instead of the more typical whiskey brown sauce) of the house made haggis, Americans love to %*%* about haggis but once you have theirs you’ll know why Scots love it. One of the best dishes I’ve had in Europe).

348s.jpg

And absolutely finish with a ghost tour. Sounds stupid and touristy but it is utterly fantastic. They do take you on a brisk and hilly hike so be prepared for that (ie in shape enough and both wearing appropriate shoes), but the piece de resistance is that they take you to the cemetery outside of Worlds End where every murderer and other terrible person in Edinburgh was executed for hundreds if not thousands of years and then their bodies cut into pieces and scattered around the graveyard (the Scots believe that if you’re body is not intact your ghost is trapped on Earth trying to reassemble it and they do that so if a person is wrongly executed they can’t go to heaven and accuse the executioner and judge before God so it’s a way to CYA. And as a result there are thousands of ghosts around a small spot. Now I do NOT believe in ghosts (or so I tell myself now) but if I did my visit would be why. They take you to the execution site (most of the heads are buried within eyesight of the execution to taunt the spirits no joke) where you’ve walked all over the heads of slain murderers and then they turn out the lights and tell you to take photos. Without exaggeration I took photos of hundreds of orbs in the area. Now scientific skeptics claim that orbs are just light reflecting off of rain/sleet or bugs in the area, but there was none of that when I was there. It was freezing cold so no bugs were active and it had snowed the week before and there was now zero humidity. So no rain, no bugs but hundreds of bright green glowing orbs in all my pictures.

I don’t believe in ghosts (keep repeating this).

But anyways, the itenary I set out is diverse as opposed to the typical touron European vacation: see museums and eat food, repeat ad nauseum. Scotland DOES have great museums and castles to visit, but it’s also got a lot of great drinking/“tasting” to do when it comes to Scotches and gins, great hunting and fishing, golf, spas, hiking, canoing, horseback riding (which I forgot to mention, LOTS of great opportunities in the Highlands around Edinburgh and Speyside), etc... Add in the great plays, musicals and comedy clubs in London and the fantastic food in both London and Scotland (Scottish restaurants are MUCH better than Non-London English and Welsh imo) and you can make a really diverse vacation matching girly and manly things to do, plus the falconry is really only easy to do in Scotland especially the Edinburgh Highlands region and makes for awesome pics and stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: EconSean
Update to the thread - still haven't completed the booking, but I wanted to let everyone know if you call either Delta Vacations or American Airlines Vacations, they can book some amazing deals if you bundle hotels and airfare together.

I was basing the prices I listed on a site called www.tripmasters.com. Well, after researching them a little more, I got a little gun shy. They had too many good reviews on Tripadvisor. Frankly it was just spam saying how great they were, post after post. Anyone that feels the need to make up stories about how great they are can't be all that reputable.

The kicker though is that Delta Vacations is getting me better/cheapter flights than I could even get w/Tripmasters anyway, and it's directly through Delta, so I feel a lot better if something goes wrong. The only things is you have to call their 800# to get them b/c the online site will only allow you to depart and return from the same airport. When you call them they can manually price it w/you flying into one airport and home from another though...and get this, you can use you Delta Skymiles (American lets you do it too) to offset the cost of the whole trip on a dollar-for-dollar basis. I only have like 40,000 Delta Skymiles, but they're letting me use them all to reduce the price of my trip by $400. Great friggin' deal!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I did the ghost tour in Edinburgh. JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter just down the road (hundred yards maybe) and she got many of the character names in her books from random names on headstones in that graveyard at the end of the tour. Edinburgh is a fascinating city. True Scotland. Went to Glasgow too, but that seemed just like a big US city.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I did the ghost tour in Edinburgh. JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter just down the road (hundred yards maybe) and she got many of the character names in her books from random names on headstones in that graveyard at the end of the tour. Edinburgh is a fascinating city. True Scotland. Went to Glasgow too, but that seemed just like a big US city.

Yeah, Glasgow is not particularly interesting. But I LOVED Edinburgh.

Last update...

Just completed my booking w/Delta Vacations.

March 22-29. Includes:

• 2 flights out of Tallahassee
  • 3 nights Munich @ 4-star hotel
  • 3 nights Prague @ 5-star hotel
  • Day trip for 2 to Neuscwhanstein Castle
  • Travel insurance that genuinely lets you cancel for literally any reason

$2,257 Flights & Hotel
$ 130 Excursion to Neuschwanstein castle for 2 people
$ 200 Trip Insurance for 2 people
$2,587 SUBTOTAL
- $537 (Skymiles - they had a promo. 125% x Skymiles. I had 43,000 so I got credit for 53,750
$2,050 TOTAL out of pocket for 8 day trip

The only thing I have to pay for is a train from Munich to Prague, but they wanted way too much to add that to the package, so I'll do that on my own when we get to Munich.

Just the flights (TLH - MUC; PRG - TLH) were going to cost $1,427 per person, before hotels, excursion, or trip insurance

Delta Vacations is where it's at. Definitely look into them before you book your next trip, especially if you have to/want to fly out of po-dunk TLH airport.

*And Edinburgh will DEFINITELY be part of our next trip. I'm saving your suggestions in this thread, Tribe - thanks!

One last comment: Neuschwanstein can be a strenuous hike. It is exceptionally beautiful and the small town at the bottom of the mountain is cute. There is a second castle there.

One last comment: Neuschwanstein can be a strenuous hike. It is exceptionally beautiful and the small town at the bottom of the mountain is cute. There is a second castle there.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to wear sneakers and layer accordingly.

Looking forward to seeing it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT