ADVERTISEMENT

Press conference wrap up and video replays: Coburn and Haggins (w/ transcript)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
TRANSCRIPT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coburn says it was a rough weekend. As I'm sure you can imagine. "I had to fire a friend yesterday. That was very difficult."

Players were "surprised and disappointed, but not inappropriate."

Coburn says Odell was the natural choice.

Coburn asked about making decision now: "We looked at the pluses and minuses, and we didn't really see any upside to waiting. ... Frankly 6-6 isn't good enough."

Coburn: "I have no idea what the timeline is going to be (for the buyout). It has not been finalized and we'll be in discussions on that for a while."

Coburn: "We want to be able to have somebody ready to recruit. There are going to be a lot of schools out there looking for coaches ... and our feeling is if we want to hit the ground running."

Coburn on relationship with Taggart: "We had had several very explicit conversations (about Taggart's record)."

"When you do the numbers it just made more sense to do this. ... It was not an easy decision. .... The questions were all asked about season ticket sales, booster contributions attached, we looked at it pretty thoroughly."

Coburn: "I would like to have a coach in place when the season ends. If not before."

Coburn: "There are a lot of ways to measure what was happening with the team. I thought at the beginning of the season we were making progress. Clemson was a disappointment. ... Miami was eerily similar to the Virginia Tech game."

Coburn says the boosters will be involved in the coaching search. They will hire a search firm as well.

Coburn on Haggins: "He's going to do just fine. ... I can tell you this, he's going to have all the support of the people in this building, because that's a beloved figure."

Coburn on next head coach: "We're looking for somebody that can win a national championship. I don't have a specific set of criteria. ... We're going to win, we're going to get back to the standard of Florida State University football."

Coburn on assistants: "We're not contemplating other changes on the coaching staff."

Coburn on finances again: "You have to look at season tickets, renewals, going forward. Obviously those are tied to booster funds. ... You look at that vis a vis, cost of a buyout, cost of a new coaching staff" .. and weigh those two."

Coburn says Taggart's buyout is going to be around 18 million. He doesn't know about the assistant coaches because he doesn't know who is staying and who is going with the new coach.

Coburn: "I hear (from the boosters) every week after every loss, that they're not going to give anymore unless something happens. ... In terms of pressure from the trustees? No.

Coburn says Taggart handled the firing "like a gentleman. It was a pretty emotional conversation."

Coburn: "Obviously W's and L's matter."

And that's it for Coburn. Now Odell Haggins takes the podium.

"It's a difficult time here at Florida State University. It is what it is."

"We're moving forward. We're thinking about Boston College. And thinking about how we're going to plan for them. ... That's what Willie Taggart would want. He wouldn't want you around here sulking and crying. He would want you to move forward.

"The players yesterday, they were champions yesterday. I talked to him, I let him know, I'll say it again: "We're Florida State. We're all we got. We're all we need. And we're going to fight. We're unconquered. That's exactly what I told him, and that's what they need to hear."

"A testament to Willie Taggart: Those kids came out yesterday. They ran hard. They practiced hard."

"Second time around, I think this is a blessing. God put me in this position for a reason. ... Both feet in, all gas, no breaks. Let's go."

"Odell Haggins is going to be Odell Haggins. I'm going to speak the truth."

"We are Florida State University. We're going to keep moving forward."

"Some of (the assistants) were stunned. But we snapped back to the reality. And we're going to keep the main thing the main thing: And that's those players. ... The administration expects us to act like professionals, so we snapped back to that moving forward."

"We have a plan. I'm going to be out there coaching. I love coaching, man. I'm going to do whatever I have to do moving forward. ... But I'm going to be coaching, man. Shoot."

On recruiting: "We're all in. We stayed here till about 12:30, 1 o'clock, trying get people on the phone. ... We're committed to graduating kids and winning national championships."

"They went out yesterday and worked hard. Therefore, we're going to play. We're going to be ready."

Haggins on Taggart: "He helped on accountability, yes."

Haggins talks again about the importance of being authentic. That you let them know what you expect. And letting them know that it's all about them and the university.

"We're talking about Boston College." ------ Haggins has said that about 10 times so far. And he ain't done either!

Haggins says he's going to leave QB decision to Briles.

Marvin Wilson was mentioned by both Odell and Coburn as a player who was trying to lead during practice.

"Cory Durden is going to be OK."

"There are going to be consequences (to penalties). ... We're not going to help the other team."

Haggins said Mickey Andrews texted him, "Odell, don't flinch. Go get it." .... He said he got a lot of supportive texts from former players.

"We are Florida State. We are committed to getting back to the Top 5 every year and winning national championships. And the way we're going to do it as a family ..... our kids feed off that (fans') energy."

And that's it! We're done!!!!!!!

Odell Haggins has left the building.

Thanks for reading along, folks. And stick with Warchant.com for all the latest in the coaching search.

Hey folks.
We're about 10 minutes away from the press conference with David Coburn and Odell Haggins.

Also, the great Corey Clark will be providing updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News