ADVERTISEMENT

Privileged questions?

The argument is that all white people are born with an advantage that others don't have or that all others have a disadvantage that whites don't. That's the premise of white privilege. I'm not saying this is everyone's opinion but that's the general premise of the concept. I wont agree with it so stop trying.
Lol you are a trip

Reactions: GeddyLee09
It doesn't need a name its called life. That's how things work. Some are born rich some are not. There has always been people with an advantage and disadvantage and there always will be. Naming it wont fix it. Especially naming it white privilege.
Acknowledging inherent inequalities is always important. Although less so to those who aren't subject to them, as we see here.

You remain the weirdest of all the weird posters on this site, and that's quite an accomplishment.
Pure comedy here. For a dude that had a Chernobyl meltdown when someone used the word "freak", you're more than liberal with labeling people as weirdos. Obvious that your self-professed qualities of empathy and tolerance tend to fall short in actual practice. You're the very thing you accuse others of on this board. LMFAO.
Your old friend
Noletaire
Instant classic: nolesince1961's Meltdown over "freak" and then calls posters "weirdos": (I love it, keep it coming, baby):
I don’t feel the least bit “groomed” or “force fed” or required to do quadruple anything to “tolerate” and accept and not mock as FREAKS those humans who look different or pray different or identify differently or are differently abled than me.

which of course is to gleefully refer to them as FREAKS for message board Likes from likeminded empathic souls.
And God forbid we should extend an iota of effort to “tolerate” those misfit aberrations, let alone accommodate them.

He’s cool now with not mocking all the other freaks into committing suicide and not expelling them to the island of the misfits as

I call things like I see them - something that populists LOVE when those they agree with do the same (but more crassly, with pejoratives such as “FREAKS”, mocking the disabled at rallies and the like.)

Last edited:
Pure comedy here. For a dude that had a Chernobyl meltdown when someone used the word "freak", you're more than liberal with labeling people as weirdos. Obvious that your self-professed qualities of empathy and tolerance tend to fall short in actual practice. You're the very thing you accuse others of on this board. LMFAO.
Your old friend
Noletaire
Listen you relentless weirdo, in case this needs explaining, I’m not calling you a creepy weirdo because your gender identity doesn’t match up with your birth sex (I assume that’s not what has sent you careening into whackoland)… those folks are our fellow humans whom your special friend Johnny mocks as FREAKS.
I’ve let you know your weirdness is ubercreepy because you follow me and perhaps a few lucky others thread to thread, never offering the slightest contribution to the subject matter being discussed but merely piping in with the creepiest stalkery weirdness you can summon up, usually along with the extra cringe of “Your old friend”
It doesn’t surprise me though that you don’t understand why those situations are not equivalent. Please just go away, or at least occasionally contribute something substantive.

• Wow
Reactions: BrianNole777
I'm really curious how many of the posters in this thread are persons of color. Can you acknowledge one who is might have a different perspective of this topic than the caucasian community?
I sure do wish there were more AA voices here and that some would offer their perspective.

I'm really curious how many of the posters in this thread are persons of color. Can you acknowledge one who is might have a different perspective of this topic than the caucasian community?
I think ive pointed that out previously.

Man o man!

Not to fuel the fire here but I gots ta know
So I ask

I know history shows us how the Israelites were enslaved many times, for 400 years by the Egyptians alone

Israel and the Jews have been persecuted over and over thru history

But I never see them complaining, asking for reparations etc

But Israel still gets hammered by most of the world

They work hard to overcome their history

My question is this is it black privilege that they are perceived from the gitgo to be better athletes than others?, or do they just work harder at their craft than others?

If whites wish to study harder, work harder to economically accelerate how is that different?

Maybe I’m confusing things in my head but to me don’t complain and wait on others to feel guilty about their successes etc if they have put in the work to get where they are!

When white people insist upon asking one of my Black colleagues how she maintains such a muscular physique while being a busy psychiatrist and new mother, she will occasionally reply “well, your ancestors enslaved my ancestors and bred them like cattle to ensure that they were strong, muscular, and lean; so thank you for that, I guess.”

Interesting. Does she make that blanket and somewhat racist proclamation before she knows when their ancestors came to America? I wonder if she understands how that might come across to the person who was perhaps paying her a compliment (albeit a bit clumsily).
Sounds pretty emotionally immature, not to mention a bit ignorant about American History on the whole. Millions of her fellow Americans came from post Civil War immigrants who had the clothes on their backs and little else, much less “own” another human being.

It doesn't need a name its called life. That's how things work. Some are born rich some are not. There has always been people with an advantage and disadvantage and there always will be. Naming it wont fix it. Especially naming it white privilege.
Im not even on 1961’s side necessarily but he’s at least presenting research while y’all are presenting one off anecdotal stories. Been a one side discussion in his favor.

Reactions: bcherod
It’s too bad @UCLAs post was deleted. Would be fun to discuss how off putting/tactless/boorish his friend is. Wow she really showed those white people offering her a compliment, huh?! High fives all around!!! Stupid comments like your friend’s turn off a lot of people who enjoy having real convos about these topics.

Also, and I am actually shocked that I have to say this, do not expect a good response if you comment on a woman’s body without her consent and invitation, regardless of whether you think that you are complimenting her.
You were not at all clear about the gender of the person who remarked about her return to pre-pregnancy physical condition.
And I am not at all shocked that you might not know that it’s very common for women to ask each other how they achieved that. Your response comes across to me as a surprisingly amateurish attempt to deflect and defend.

She is not interested, at all, in having conversations with white people about race, which describes the perspective of almost all people of color I know. The reasons for that aversion should be obvious from this thread. If her comment would turn you off of speaking to her about race, then it would have exactly its intended impact. But, by all means, have as much fun as feels good to you ridiculing a Black woman who does not appreciate unsolicited questions about her body and appearance from a stranger.
This one is especially interesting.
She must be a delightful co-worker. I wonder if she would appreciate your sharing about her views.
I don’t think anyone was making fun of a Black woman. How unfortunate you frame it as such. It says lots about you,

Again, I’m just a simple man here

I don’t think it’s right to punish the dependents of those who did some horrible things hundreds of years ago

If that is the mindset and actions of a society, to punish and harbor resentment to those who had nothing to do with crimes of the past then why not punish the families in the present for the crimes of their relatives?

Why have to wait hundreds of years?

All Jews should immediately seek compensation from the Germans, Egyptians, etc, etc for the crimes against their ancestors!

I hope I’m making some sense here, even just a little bit

Judge me on my actions today and not hold me accountable for things I had absolutely nothing to do with

Personally, I think discussions are best when emotions are taken out of the conversation. People can get carried away.

That said, Nearly every ethnic group has fought with another ethnic group across the globe.

At one juncture, Zimbabwe kicked out white people.
White Europeans ran many countries all over the globe, until those colonies gained independence.

After the 100 years war, France was the wealthiest country in Europe. Then they started the French wars of religion, causing the Protestants, who were the artisans, merchants, craftsmen, etc., to flee the country. France then became one of the poorest countries, as they lost the backbone of their economy, causing the lead up to the French Revolution.

"Irish lace" was not Irish. It was taken to Ireland by the Huguenots who fled France.

I have seen remarkable prejudice in my life, in many parts of the world. In the world and, in places like NY. I never paid attention to the term WASP because I had never been exposed to the term, until I went to NY and it was my friends that identified me as such.

Growing up in Japan, we witnessed the hatred between the Koreans and Japanese. We had a lot of mixed race kids that were BRATS. But, in a foreign country, we bonded together because we were an island of Americans, and we spoke the same language.

Being on "the other side", one sees deep rooted anger, that is generally socioeconomic in nature, but it is much easier to blame or label based on ethnicity.

Again, I’m just a simple man here

I don’t think it’s right to punish the dependents of those who did some horrible things hundreds of years ago

If that is the mindset and actions of a society, to punish and harbor resentment to those who had nothing to do with crimes of the past then why not punish the families in the present for the crimes of their relatives?

Why have to wait hundreds of years?

All Jews should immediately seek compensation from the Germans, Egyptians, etc, etc for the crimes against their ancestors!

I hope I’m making some sense here, even just a little bit

Judge me on my actions today and not hold me accountable for things I had absolutely nothing to do with

That said, Nearly every ethnic group has fought with another ethnic group across the globe.

At one juncture, Zimbabwe kicked out white people.
White Europeans ran many countries all over the globe, until those colonies gained independence.

After the 100 years war, France was the wealthiest country in Europe. Then they started the French wars of religion, causing the Protestants, who were the artisans, merchants, craftsmen, etc., to flee the country. France then became one of the poorest countries, as they lost the backbone of their economy, causing the lead up to the French Revolution.

"Irish lace" was not Irish. It was taken to Ireland by the Huguenots who fled France.

I have seen remarkable prejudice in my life, in many parts of the world. In the world and, in places like NY. I never paid attention to the term WASP because I had never been exposed to the term, until I went to NY and it was my friends that identified me as such.

Growing up in Japan, we witnessed the hatred between the Koreans and Japanese. We had a lot of mixed race kids that were BRATS. But, in a foreign country, we bonded together because we were an island of Americans, and we spoke the same language.

Being on "the other side", one sees deep rooted anger, that is generally socioeconomic in nature, but it is much easier to blame or label based on ethnicity.
Both of these are excellent, well thought out posts. Well done.

Reactions: goldmom
Im not even on 1961’s side necessarily but he’s at least presenting research while y’all are presenting one off anecdotal stories. Been a one side discussion in his favor.
He’s presented some good info as have others. Not sure how he decides his opinion is fact but that’s ok too. I’m not saying there isn’t privilege, advantage and disadvantages everywhere. I just don’t agree that white privilege exists in the manner presented and applies to all whites.

Respect to you, but @goldmom, @GeddyLee09 @fsufool to name a few on this thread, have presented some very valid posts/research... but those are just written off as "outliers" by the Jacobins.

’m not saying there isn’t privilege, advantage and disadvantages everywhere. I just don’t agree that white privilege exists in the manner presented and applies to all whites.
1% of the population has privilege. The rest of us are doing are best to create the best quality of life for ourselves and families.
Statues, privileges, etc. are effective instruments of division for us to focus on while the 1% continues to rape us.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
I'm sure everyone agrees with Belem's and 61's assertion that white privilege exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
He’s presented some good info as have others. Not sure how he decides his opinion is fact but that’s ok too. I’m not saying there isn’t privilege, advantage and disadvantages everywhere. I just don’t agree that white privilege exists in the manner presented and applies to all whites.
Good point. It does not apply to all whites, but allow me to give you an example of circumstances that vastly changed a lot of people's lives. You're probably too young to have experienced this.

College students graduating from college in 1973 saw a very different landscape than those graduating in 1968-71. Recruiters were on campus earlier to recruit employees. Big companies, IBM, Colgate, big banks, etc. The prevailing thought in the late '60's, early '70's was that we'd all go to college and, graduate and get a good job.

A series of events, particularly the oil embargo, changed the economy drastically. The recruiters quit coming, we all had to literally pound the pavement to get a job. I had to go to the therapeutic side of recreation because there were no jobs in the private sector, nor the government sector.

Many of my friends just a few years older just breezed in, being hired by J&J, IBM, Pfizer, big banks. They weren't any smarter, nor any better than the rest of us. We just had a bad economy, and combine that with Viet Nam, it was not a fun time. It was one of the reasons I went to Brazil.

We had to take jobs as "assistants, aides", etc., that did not require a degree, because we "didn't have significant work experience, 2 years in the field." It took 18 months for me to get a job as an RT at Sunland, because there was only a director and 3 "aides" in the department. Until we received a grant, there were no therapist positions, but we 3 "aides" all had degrees. The grant provided us with two positions.

It's just the way it happened. Personally, to me, there were bigger issues. Women were paid less than men, women didn't get positions, etc. One place where I applied in metro NY, the International big guys told me they would like to hire me, but I needed to be aware that my immediate boss was opposed to working with a woman, so they were leaving the decision up to me. They were willing to tell the guy that he would just have to accept it. But, I realized the futility in working with someone who resents your presence, so I turned it down. And, I would have loved that job.

Sometimes its just the way life turns out, and it's no one's fault. It's a set of circumstances at a time that governs the outcome.

In today's world, my boss in 2000 would not have been able to get rid of all of the women over the age of 40. But, he got away with it in 98-2000.

I watched a movie called “ McFarland “, it made me realize how tough it is for “ pickers”,

I also see how Israelis are raised in fear over potential rocket attacks etc

Folks raised in the appalachians don’t seem so privileged

Kids raised in the ghettos with the poverty, gangs and crime sure have an uphill battle ahead of them

There are many more struggles around the world 100% times worse than many have it

I don’t have the answers, I am thankful to be Blessed and try to share the Blessings to others

It’s a world we live in, lots of rights and wrongs

My Faith guides me through it!

You all have responded and opened my mind to lots of things in this thread, and I appreciate it all

One more attempt:

Even the poorest whites in America have the privilege of not being in their exact same circumstances while ALSO being black.

If you asked them “do you feel privileged?”, I highly doubt they’d say Yes, unless they’re referring to the blessings of being alive, or American, or to have a loving Mom or Dad or sibling, or to know Jesus if that resonates with them. And still, they do have white privilege.

A white child born into a terrible family situation is not “privileged” in the most commonly used and most familiar uses of the word privilege, but English words can and do have multiple uses and meanings…
this disadvantaged child, thanks to the good fortune of being born white, would most likely have it even worse if born into those same circumstances while ALSO being black.

Not facing the EXTRA burdens that come with being visibly non-white is all that “white privilege” means. Nothing more.

That acknowledgment in no way diminishes anybody’s difficulties and challenges, or anybody’s personal triumphs, work ethic or anything else, regardless of their skin color. Acknowledging white privilege in America also says nothing about who also faces challenges of a nearly limitless variety all around our diverse world.

Acknowledging white privilege does not assign “blame” to anybody nor is it some form of making excuses, it’s not trying to make anybody feel guilty about slavery or any of the other protests that are trotted out ad nauseum in a futile attempt to deny the basic truth that being visibly non-white in America tends to be more difficult over an extended time frame than does being white.

It’s unfortunate that so many white privilege deniers continue to use their confusion (whether real or feigned) or outright resentment of the nuanced word “privilege” to deny that black skin presents a larger basket of hurdles in America, over one’s lifetime, than does having white skin.

It’s hard for society to continue evolving in the realm of social equity when a significant number of people can’t even acknowledge where inequities exist, because they simply refuse to leave their partisan corner over a label or descriptor.

I wish whoever coined the phrase “white privilege” had chosen a descriptor that’s less polarizing and easy for detractors to use as an excuse to dismiss or mock or pretend not to understand the underlying concept. But it’s probably too late to put that branding choice back in the box.

Hopefully, mature grown adults who genuinely care about the American experience for ALL our fellow Americans will choose to focus on the underlying concept and its truth rather than its easy-but-unproductive-to-argue-about label.

One more attempt:

Even the poorest whites in America have the privilege of not being in their exact same circumstances while ALSO being black.

If you asked them “do you feel privileged?”, I highly doubt they’d say Yes, unless they’re referring to the blessings of being alive, or American, or to have a loving Mom or Dad or sibling, or to know Jesus if that resonates with them. And still, they do have white privilege.

A white child born into a terrible family situation is not “privileged” in the most commonly used and most familiar uses of the word privilege, but English words can and do have multiple uses and meanings…
this disadvantaged child, thanks to the good fortune of being born white, would most likely have it even worse if born into those same circumstances while ALSO being black.

Not facing the EXTRA burdens that come with being visibly non-white is all that “white privilege” means. Nothing more.

That acknowledgment in no way diminishes anybody’s difficulties and challenges, or anybody’s personal triumphs, work ethic or anything else, regardless of their skin color. Acknowledging white privilege in America also says nothing about who also faces challenges of a nearly limitless variety all around our diverse world.

Acknowledging white privilege does not assign “blame” to anybody nor is it some form of making excuses, it’s not trying to make anybody feel guilty about slavery or any of the other protests that are trotted out ad nauseum in a futile attempt to deny the basic truth that being visibly non-white in America tends to be more difficult over an extended time frame than does being white.

It’s unfortunate that so many white privilege deniers continue to use their confusion (whether real or feigned) or outright resentment of the nuanced word “privilege” to deny that black skin presents a larger basket of hurdles in America, over one’s lifetime, than does having white skin.

It’s hard for society to continue evolving in the realm of social equity when a significant number of people can’t even acknowledge where inequities exist, because they simply refuse to leave their partisan corner over a label or descriptor.

I wish whoever coined the phrase “white privilege” had chosen a descriptor that’s less polarizing and easy for detractors to use as an excuse to dismiss or mock or pretend not to understand the underlying concept. But it’s probably too late to put that branding choice back in the box.

Hopefully, mature grown adults who genuinely care about the American experience for ALL our fellow Americans will choose to focus on the underlying concept and its truth rather than its easy-but-unproductive-to-argue-about label.
Dating No GIF by ORBIT Gum

Good point. It does not apply to all whites, but allow me to give you an example of circumstances that vastly changed a lot of people's lives. You're probably too young to have experienced this.

College students graduating from college in 1973 saw a very different landscape than those graduating in 1968-71. Recruiters were on campus earlier to recruit employees. Big companies, IBM, Colgate, big banks, etc. The prevailing thought in the late '60's, early '70's was that we'd all go to college and, graduate and get a good job.

A series of events, particularly the oil embargo, changed the economy drastically. The recruiters quit coming, we all had to literally pound the pavement to get a job. I had to go to the therapeutic side of recreation because there were no jobs in the private sector, nor the government sector.

Many of my friends just a few years older just breezed in, being hired by J&J, IBM, Pfizer, big banks. They weren't any smarter, nor any better than the rest of us. We just had a bad economy, and combine that with Viet Nam, it was not a fun time. It was one of the reasons I went to Brazil.

We had to take jobs as "assistants, aides", etc., that did not require a degree, because we "didn't have significant work experience, 2 years in the field." It took 18 months for me to get a job as an RT at Sunland, because there was only a director and 3 "aides" in the department. Until we received a grant, there were no therapist positions, but we 3 "aides" all had degrees. The grant provided us with two positions.

It's just the way it happened. Personally, to me, there were bigger issues. Women were paid less than men, women didn't get positions, etc. One place where I applied in metro NY, the International big guys told me they would like to hire me, but I needed to be aware that my immediate boss was opposed to working with a woman, so they were leaving the decision up to me. They were willing to tell the guy that he would just have to accept it. But, I realized the futility in working with someone who resents your presence, so I turned it down. And, I would have loved that job.

Sometimes its just the way life turns out, and it's no one's fault. It's a set of circumstances at a time that governs the outcome.

In today's world, my boss in 2000 would not have been able to get rid of all of the women over the age of 40. But, he got away with it in 98-2000.
That’s exactly right. It’s how life plays out and you play the cards dealt to you. It’s not always right or fair.

But Blue eyes are not.
Interesting you brought this up. I was thinking the same thing. I've actually read a lot about it.

We grew up being taught that all babies were born with blue eyes. They're not. Japanese babies are born with brown eyes, just as an example.

There are are also two kinds of brown eyes. There are light brown eyes, almond brown eyes that are actually the light eyed gene.

There's a really interesting room at the Smithsonian. It's all about human migration, and physical characteristics about races/tribes in the world. It would be really interesting to see if it's been added to with the continuing information we get from DNA research.

Perhaps if we had to wear our DNA on our backs, we'd be less likely to be as judgmental. OTOH, I'm sure we'd find a way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT