ADVERTISEMENT

Privileged questions?

Do you disagree that being born white in the U.S. is a privilege?

The term "advantage" is a more accurate description than "privlege"

Whites don't have right to a better job or house, and they don't have any granted immunities. They are more likely though to have the advantage of a better education or better network when looking for a job.

From Webster:

Privilege:
A right or immunity granted as a peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor : PREROGATIVE
especially : such a right or immunity attached specifically to a position or an office.

Advantage:
1 : superiority of position or condition Higher ground gave the enemy the advantage.
2 : a factor or circumstance of benefit to its possessor lacked the advantages of an education
3 a : BENEFIT, GAIN
especially : benefit resulting from some course of action

Women are now 62% of college students in America.

They're taking over the workforce. Not that I'm complaining.

I was watching the news the other day with my Father who just retired after 50 years as a trial lawyer.

He said: "Most of the judges are women."

I replied: "Yep. That's how college is going now."

Reactions: fsufool
The term "advantage" is a more accurate description than "privlege"

Whites don't have right to a better job or house, and they don't have any granted immunities. They are more likely though to have the advantage of a better education or better network when looking for a job.

From Webster:

Privilege:
A right or immunity granted as a peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor : PREROGATIVE
especially : such a right or immunity attached specifically to a position or an office.

Advantage:
1 : superiority of position or condition Higher ground gave the enemy the advantage.
2 : a factor or circumstance of benefit to its possessor lacked the advantages of an education
3 a : BENEFIT, GAIN
especially : benefit resulting from some course of action
Agreed. I think privilege is used because it makes it sound like its given and not earned.

Lol. Bless your heart.
You posting that speech, in its entirety, is a complete mic drop confirmation of what white privilege is all about, and that we can still prosper as a nation IF white folk can stop getting their panties in a wad over merely acknowledging the disadvantages our otherwise great nation has subjected too many of her citizens to.
THANK YOU.
President Obama said it all much more eloquently than I ever could.
Very happy that you agree with and so emphatically endorse the entirety of that speech.
GO USA and GO NOLES!
Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

• Haha
Reactions: goldmom and F4Gary
To me, white privilege is mostly traced back decades and even centuries prior. Back when there were actual racist laws and of course even slavery. Black families in general are much less likely to have the stability of whites because of this. Less family wealth passed down, fewer businesses/properties owned, less academic pedigree, etc etc

I think what many white people push back on is the idea that what they have wasn’t earned. I know I’ve felt that way. That just because you’re white you’ve been given all of these things which isn’t really what the term means or should mean. It really should mean that because of prior generations you’ve been put in a better position to succeed than on average black people have. I can’t argue with that as someone who grew up in a financially stable two parent household where education was prioritized.

That being said, in the year 2023 do I think there’s much systemic racism? Not really. I think as someone who comes from a medical science background a whole lot of societal research is flawed bc of an inability to randomize and control for all variables. For instance, there’s a study comparing average yearly earnings for different races with a whole range of education levels. For bachelor degrees whites earn on average $85k, Asians $82k, Hispanics $65k, and blacks $64k. So is that easily explained by “racism”? Well, it could absolutely play a role. But this study isn’t controlling for major, GPA, or university ranking. For example a someone graduating magna cum laude with a degree in business from Harvard has a much higher earning potential than someone graduating with a 2.0 in education from FAMU. I can’t find any studies that look at earning potential for Ivy League graduates based on race but I’d find that really interesting.

I just think white people need to acknowledge what white privilege really means without being defensive. At the same time, I do believe “racism” can too often be used as a crutch or at least is a way oversimplification of the issue.
I just read this, and before I read anything else in this thread, I have to say that this is one of the best, well-thought out opinions that I have read in a long time. It's refreshing. Sometimes I wonder about myself reading message boards and such, instead of being more productive, but once in awhile, there are thoughtful, intelligent reads. Thanks.

So tell me where my privilege comes from? My mom and dad both dropped out of school after 9th grade. I think my mom actually did finish 10th. He wound up being an abusive, womanizing alcoholic. She became mentally ill and was institutionalized much of my young life. [edit to add she was institutionalized ALL of my adult life] My dad's farm failed in the late 80's and he sold it to get out from under the debt. Fortunately for him, he was able to start a new career in the state correctional system. This was after I was out of the house.

My sister was the first in our family, all sides, to go to college. She is really smart and tested out of about 22 hours. This wasn't heard of back in 1977. She finished college at Troy's Dothan campus, footing her own bills the whole way. She worked as an accounting assistant, then supervisor, and finally manager. She left that job to work for an independent grocery store owner and finagled the deal so that, instead of a higher salary, she received a percentage of any new store that he opened. When she left she got a big payout. She started her own payroll processing business and grew it in the Montgomery, AL area to include some pretty big local clients. She was bought out by a larger company doing the same. She then went to work as an office manager for a law firm, really just to have something to do. Finally she retired at 60 when she was done dealing with all the drama. This post wasn't originally going to be about my sister, but I'm very proud of her.

Me, I just worked for the man all my life. Never had her entrepreneurial spirit or risk-taking ability.

So tell me where my privilege comes from? My mom and dad both dropped out of school after 9th grade. I think my mom actually did finish 10th. He wound up being an abusive, womanizing alcoholic. She became mentally ill and was institutionalized much of my young life. [edit to add she was institutionalized ALL of my adult life] My dad's farm failed in the late 80's and he sold it to get out from under the debt. Fortunately for him, he was able to start a new career in the state correctional system. This was after I was out of the house.

My sister was the first in our family, all sides, to go to college. She is really smart and tested out of about 22 hours. This wasn't heard of back in 1977. She finished college at Troy's Dothan campus, footing her own bills the whole way. She worked as an accounting assistant, then supervisor, and finally manager. She left that job to work for an independent grocery store owner and finagled the deal so that, instead of a higher salary, she received a percentage of any new store that he opened. When she left she got a big payout. She started her own payroll processing business and grew it in the Montgomery, AL area to include some pretty big local clients. She was bought out by a larger company doing the same. She then went to work as an office manager for a law firm, really just to have something to do. Finally she retired at 60 when she was done dealing with all the drama. This post wasn't originally going to be about my sister, but I'm very proud of her.

Me, I just worked for the man all my life. Never had her entrepreneurial spirit or risk-taking ability.
That’s a great story of individuals persevering and succeeding through difficult circumstances. Sincere kudos.

And if your sister is white, despite the reality of your family’s difficult lot, she was still privileged on her journey not to ALSO face the many nearly daily obstacles of being black in America… ie the color of her skin wasn’t an additional persistent hurdle to overcome.

That’s a great story of individuals persevering and succeeding through difficult circumstances. Sincere kudos.

And if your sister is white, despite the reality of your family’s difficult lot, she was still privileged on her journey not to ALSO face the many nearly daily obstacles of being black in America… ie the color of her skin wasn’t an additional persistent hurdle to overcome.
In present day America, do you believe the disadvantage of being black is much less than say the 60's or 70's? In present day, how much of a disadvantage do you think it is?

Reactions: goldmom
In present day America, do you believe the disadvantage of being black is much less than say the 60's or 70's? In present day, how much of a disadvantage do you think it is?
I’m guessing most blacks would say it’s gotten better than the 60s or 70s.
How much I don’t know, and I bet that varies greatly by geography, the particular facet of life, etc.
I also assume that most people of color think there’s still plenty of room for further improvements in leveling the playing field, and that any “well at least it’s better than 50 or 60 years ago” complacency would be treacherous.

How much I don’t know, and I bet that varies greatly by geography, the particular facet of life, etc.
I also assume that most people of color think there’s still plenty of room for further improvements in leveling the playing field, and that any “well at least it’s better than 50 or 60 years ago” complacency would be treacherous.
It would be interesting to see this perspective from the group its self. Not that your opinion isn't valid but hearing from the group in question is always better than someone's or the medias interpretation of things. Its like a rich person saying poor peoples struggles aren't as bad as in the 30's. Unless you've know struggle or pain its hard to know what it feels like. Again not arguing your point at all.

Reactions: goldmom
It would be interesting to see this perspective from the group its self. Not that your opinion isn't valid but hearing from the group in question is always better than someone's or the medias interpretation of things. Its like a rich person saying poor peoples struggles aren't as bad as in the 30's. Unless you've know struggle or pain its hard to know what it feels like. Again not arguing your point at all.
I agree 100%. I can relate somewhat as a Jew who grew up in the small town South but that’s not equivalent whatsoever to the AA experience (although I think it has made me more empathic than I might otherwise be to the minority experience.)
It’s unfortunate that so many AA members have left these boards or have greatly cut back on participation. Quite a few have shared with me in DMs that “it’s just not worth the aggravation” dealing with all the AA-unfriendly or dismissive attitudes on here. I take them at their word. I miss their perspective on all kinds of issues.

I see brand new low-income housing projects built with some frequency. Beautiful upon completion. Drove by 12-18 months later and they are in obvious disrepair.

Why is that? Do you see that in your work?
Gee..........wonder what happens when you put a bunch of poor, barely functioning, many mentally ill, people in close proximity with each other?????

We have known for a long time this is a bad idea. Spreading out these folks into smaller more manageable units into neighborhoods with grocery stores, services, majority law abiding productive citizens has been known to work much better. Yet, we continue to do what we know doesn't work well............who is that on?

For anybody who disagrees that white privilege exists, but is open to considering evidence demonstrating otherwise...

There are dozens (probably hundreds) more if you care to look.
-- Racial Bias and Policing -- https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01846-z
-- Racial Bias and Recruiting/Hiring -- https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/minorities-who-whiten-job-resumes-get-more-interviews
-- Structural Racism and Health -- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4133127/ (and the various related studies linked in that write-up)
-- Systemic Racism and Health Care -- https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2021693
-- Racial Bias and Housing -- https://www.demos.org/blog/new-hud-report-shows-continued-discrimination-against-people-color
-- The Race Gap in America/Reuters -- https://graphics.reuters.com/GLOBAL-RACE/USA/nmopajawjva/

Can any of the non-believers discredit every single study and discussion of studies above? If so, specifically how in each case?

Unless you can find an equal or greater number of equally credible studies showing that whites are subjected to equivalent or worse obstacles, then yes, by definition, we whites have the "privilege" of not being subjected to this same frequency, breadth and magnitude of running against the headwinds to get ahead in life, or merely to manage our health, how we're viewed when walking down the street or into a jewelry store or shoe or clothing store, and other daily needs and comforts.

Facing more daily and generational hurdles due to skin color is not merely some opinion to agree or disagree with.
It's daily reality, even if it's not my and your reality.

Also, improvements in the black experience in the US don't mean that white privilege has magically disappeared. Has systemic racism in the US gotten better than in decades past? Probably so (although some recent turning of the tide might change that.) But I doubt many black people would say "that's enough, it's not a relevant issue anymore".

Regardless of whether it's referred to as racial bias or structural racism, systemic racism, racial inequities or by any other descriptor, the above citations are just a few of many studies and discussions of studies which corroborate that racial inequities persist, and with important impacts on blacks and other people of color in America.

We whites are privileged not to be subjected to those inequities based on our skin color -- no matter how many individual hurdles we each face for other reasons and how hard we work to overcome those.

Sorry if anybody interprets my persistence and frustration at having my words completely mangled to make them easier to debate and at having to repeat the same things again and again as "talking down" to anybody.
Oh, and how objectionable it must be for someone to use "big words" (lol, what big words? that's a funny one, saw that complaint in another thread) on a message board devoted to a university.
Hopefully participants on these boards aren't really as hypersensitive as their protests sound. That would be kinda' snowflakey, right?

I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for blacks to have their reality so routinely scoffed at, minimized and dismissed, while actually experiencing the unlevel playing field day after day. (and yes, I do understand there are some black outliers like Candace Owens, Larry Elder, etc. who think otherwise, just like there are outliers in every group who argue against what the vast majority of members of their demographic insist is real and what the studies demonstrate.)

Ok, time to do some productive work now.
Go Noles.
Cherry picking studies doesn't mean anything. Try to find some studies/reports that take a deep dive into existing understanding.
For example, this one on police shootings:

What stood out to me is that a total of 22 shootings of unarmed blacks a year occur. And some of these were the result of folks reaching back into their car or going back into a bedroom when ordered by police at gunpoint not to. Read the piece and then come back here and discuss the issue instead of pretending you know the truth! These issues are rarely as cut and dried as you seem to think.

Very measured analysis of the scientific studies around police shootings. I just happened to read this one recently so was able to copy the link, but there are more out there on every topic you listed above.

Cherry picking studies doesn't mean anything. Try to find some studies/reports that take a deep dive into existing understanding.
For example, this one on police shootings:

What stood out to me is that a total of 22 shootings of unarmed blacks a year occur. And some of these were the result of folks reaching back into their car or going back into a bedroom when ordered by police at gunpoint not to. Read the piece and then come back here and discuss the issue instead of pretending you know the truth! These issues are rarely as cut and dried as you seem to think.

Very measured analysis of the scientific studies around police shootings. I just happened to read this one recently so was able to copy the link, but there are more out there on every topic you listed above.
You sound angry and accusatory. Yet you failed to discredit in any way any of the studies I posted. Feel free to do so, if you can.

You did quite a compelling job however of showing your much superior grasp of all things related to systemic racial bias by lamely dismissing all those studies with your broadbrush “cherry-picking” condemnation.
Mazel tov, on nothing.

Again, feel free to share in what ways the studies I posted are invalid. Ready, set, go.

Reactions: BelemNole

I think you make a great observation with this post. Our system is one of the best invented to allow for movement up the social class scale. We should be proud of it. However, it is also true that the majority of the wealthy were born into that position. There is great social mobility, especially among the poor. So, despite having a sticky social class structure there is significant opportunity to better oneself. The greatest movement from the lower class to the middle class occurred in the post WW2 era, through significant strikes of major industry, veterans benefits, increased economic efficiency, etc. Unfortunately, since 1972 those increases has stalled out. For Blacks it is a different story. It's about consistent and upward movement since WW2. For example Black poverty: 1940 87% (Let that sink in for a while); 1960 47% (Blacks also participated in the post war boom); 1992 31.3% (Blacks continued to benefit most likely from Civil Rights Act 1964); 2020 17% (actually had gone down to around 16% before the pandemic). Black families have also been consistently moving into the upper middle class and upper class too.

Looking at average incomes/wealth statistics by race leaves out important factors. As mentioned above, wealthy families tend to stay that way over time. Since the USA started out almost exclusively with white wealth accumulation, that starting point will, for a really long time, mean that white income/wealth will appear to be greater, but is really concentrated in a small group. So, while white income/wealth is stagnant for the bottom 75%, Black income/wealth continues to improve across the full spectrum of social class.

We live in paradoxical times, whites appear to be wealthier, but the majority are stagnant or losing ground. Blacks appear to be suffering from structural racism, but in reality are making significant progress to this day. And this is why we see the current structure of politics today.

You sound angry and accusatory. Yet you failed to discredit in any way any of the studies I posted. Feel free to do so, if you can.

You did quite a compelling job however of showing your much superior grasp of all things related to systemic racial bias by lamely dismissing all those studies with your broadbrush “cherry-picking” condemnation.
Mazel tov, on nothing.

Again, feel free to share in what ways the studies I posted are invalid. Ready, set, go.
You obviously didn't read the study, did you? Because as usual you post in a defensive manner without any insight or even cursory mention of the study posted. Nice straw man arguments though. I never attempted to "discredit" any studies, only offered a study which took an in-depth look at all the current studies. There was zero anger in my post, something we can't say about yours. And I never talked about me or my "superior" grasp, only offered some observation that one can't cherry pick studies and think that is the last word on science.

FYI, since I am NOT an expert on police shootings I look to those who are and can offer intelligent discussion on what we do know from the science and what we don't know. That is why I posted this article/study for you or others to increase your knowledge base, just as I did; by reading from people who did take the time to provide a synopsis of what the science does say.

I am always happy to discuss these things in a rational manner with folks and mostly am able to learn from these discussions.

You obviously didn't read the study, did you? Because as usual you post in a defensive manner without any insight or even cursory mention of the study posted. Nice straw man arguments though. I never attempted to "discredit" any studies, only offered a study which took an in-depth look at all the current studies. There was zero anger in my post, something we can't say about yours. And I never talked about me or my "superior" grasp, only offered some observation that one can't cherry pick studies and think that is the last word on science.

FYI, since I am NOT an expert on police shootings I look to those who are and can offer intelligent discussion on what we do know from the science and what we don't know. That is why I posted this article/study for you or others to increase your knowledge base, just as I did; by reading from people who did take the time to provide a synopsis of what the science does say.

I am always happy to discuss these things in a rational manner with folks and mostly am able to learn from these discussions.
You most certainly did attempt to discredit the studies I posted with your opening brush off “Cherry picking studies doesn't mean anything. Try to find some studies/reports that take a deep dive into existing understanding.”

And then you most definitely did come at me with anger and patronizing superiority with your “Read the piece and then come back here and discuss the issue instead of pretending you know the truth! These issues are rarely as cut and dried as you seem to think.”

I have no problem with you disliking me and my opinions on whatever topics. Obviously that’s your choice. But if you consider the manner in which you addressed my post of multiple studies supporting the reality of systemic inequality to be anywhere close to the model for civil discourse, you might wish to go back and review your own contribution to the conversation before attacking me.
Have a good one.

Reactions: BelemNole
You know why I love this post?
“I’m guessing”
“How much I don’t know”
“I also assume”
And with that I’ll show myself out.

^^^^This. You're spot on.
I"m afraid the poster you're talking to is the one who is angry. I wish him peace... poor fellow appears to be wracked with angst.... but yet calls people who offer a different view "angry".

You know why I love this post?
“I’m guessing”
“How much I don’t know”
“I also assume”
And with that I’ll show myself out.
It’s called self awareness and humility, along with conversation that includes some actual substance about the topic being discussed rather than mere gratuitous potshots. Feel free to try it sometime.

It’s called self awareness and humility, along with conversation that includes some actual substance about the topic being discussed rather than mere gratuitous potshots. Feel free to try it sometime.
LOL. And speaking of gratuitous potshots you mean kinda sorta maybe your last sentence?
😉

LOL. And speaking of gratuitous potshots you mean kinda sorta maybe your last sentence?
😉
My response to you was 100% perfectly tailored to your traditional nothing of a gratuitous potshot. But I do realize you think that’s cute (insert cute emoji here) and that you get plenty of positive reinforcement from the peanut gallery that confirms for you that your 💩 don’t stink.
You do you.
Go Noles!

Self awareness as in you’re actually aware that you’re posting like you just KNOW how things are for AA’s and you’re speaking on their behalf? Or self aware as in you’re talking out of your posterior but you’re like totally like really like smart so you’re like you know telling us folks who aren’t like totally as smart as you how you assume but you don’t know but like you guess how they feel? Like totally?
Like, really?
Like, please. 🙄
Hey everyone who is like-minded - can you (like) tell I find this like, lame? Like, TOTES.

Someone doesn’t tolerate push back very well.

I honestly and truly hoped that this board would remain a place to talk about anything and everything BUT politics.
But it seems to sneak into everything because social media has really changed the way we interact with each other and I feel like it has reduced us all - me included - to communicating in a way that is just detrimental to our sense of community and respect for others.

I’m not sure that this can continue. But we should try should we not?

Self awareness as in you’re actually aware that you’re posting like you just KNOW how things are for AA’s and you’re speaking on their behalf? Or self aware as in you’re talking out of your posterior but you’re like totally like really like smart so you’re like you know telling us folks who aren’t like totally as smart as you how you assume but you don’t know but like you guess how they feel? Like totally?
Like, really?
Like, please. 🙄
Hey everyone who is like-minded - can you (like) tell I find this like, lame? Like, TOTES.
I posted plenty of studies supporting the reality of systemic racism. I’ve made it abundantly clear that I’m not a member of the AA community (too many of whom have chosen to depart these boards or reduce their activity because of how openminded and welcoming and considerate you and those you cheer on here are whenever these topics are discussed.) I clearly use qualifiers like “I’m guessing that…” and “I assume that…” to show that I do not speak from personal experience since I’m Caucasian.
I call things like I see them - something that populists LOVE when those they agree with do the same (but more crassly, with pejoratives such as “FREAKS”, mocking the disabled at rallies and the like.)
But feel free to resent me for whatever grievances you wish to blame me for, rather than actually addressing the topic at hand, which seems to be a real challenge for you… all of it’s fully expected and on brand.
Carry on.

My response to you was 100% perfectly tailored to your traditional nothing of a gratuitous potshot. But I do realize you think that’s cute (insert cute emoji here) and that you get plenty of positive reinforcement from the peanut gallery that confirms for you that your 💩 don’t stink.
You do you.
Go Noles!
It smells like roses with just a hint of shamrock thrown in because of the blarney. Or so I’ve been told.

I posted plenty of studies supporting the reality of systemic racism. I’ve made it abundantly clear that I’m not a member of the AA community (too many of whom have chosen to depart these boards or reduce their activity because of how openminded and welcoming and considerate you and those you cheer on here are whenever these topics are discussed.) I clearly use qualifiers like “I’m guessing that…” and “I assume that…” to show that I do not speak from personal experience since I’m Caucasian.
I call things like I see them - something that populists LOVE when those they agree with do the same (but more crassly, with pejoratives such as “FREAKS”, mocking the disabled at rallies and the like.)
But feel free to resent me for whatever grievances you wish to blame me for, rather than actually addressing the topic at hand, which seems to be a real challenge for you… all of it’s fully expected and on brand.
Carry on.
The topic as posted by the OP? Oh, that topic...seems it was hijacked. Now who did that, I wonder?

The topic as posted by the OP? Oh, that topic...seems it was hijacked. Now who did that, I wonder?
The OP’s thread topic is white privilege.
That’s exactly what I’ve been discussing.
You jumped in with gratuitous potshot personal insults devoid of ANY substance about the topic being discussed.
So are you saying here that you hijacked it?
Is an apology next?
Or that’s simply not part of your message board toolset?

The OP’s thread topic is white privilege.
That’s exactly what I’ve been discussing.
You jumped in with gratuitous potshot personal insults devoid of ANY substance about the topic being discussed.
So are you saying here that you hijacked it?
Is an apology next?
Or not part of your message board toolset?
Now you’re really making personal shots but I must have you in such a riled up state you don’t see it.
That’s unfortunate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT