ADVERTISEMENT

Proposal to do away with the PAT, how is this any different?

DDennis73

Star Player
Feb 11, 2002
I read briefly about the NFL commish's idea about possibly doing away with the PAT in favor of giving the team 7 pts for a TD and they can run another play for a possible additional point but if you dont make it you lose a point. How the heck is this any different than what we already have save for doing away with the act of kicking.

The bottom line under the new proposal is that you can chose not to run an attempt and get 7 pts or you can try for the conversion and you either are at 8 pts or 6 pts. Since kicking the PAT is practically automatic anyways this is exactly the situation you already have and coaches rarely if ever go for 2. Not sure how this interjects any new strategy into the game.

I agree. I'm not sure they need to do anything with the PAT. It takes very little time and it's a complete absurdity that game time a reason given by Goodell for this investigation.

You show commercials after a score, have a 15-second kickoff and then another slate of commercials and you're complaining about the PAT? It's a joke.

Making the PAT longer or forcing teams to go for 2 would only ADD to the game time because all those things take more focus and time than a 20-yard FG from the center of the field.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of changes to the kicking game:

*move the uprights closer together
*move the extra point back 10 yards or so if you're kicking it

Originally posted by DDennis73:
I read briefly about the NFL commish's idea about possibly doing away with the PAT in favor of giving the team 7 pts for a TD and they can run another play for a possible additional point but if you dont make it you lose a point. How the heck is this any different than what we already have save for doing away with the act of kicking.

The bottom line under the new proposal is that you can chose not to run an attempt and get 7 pts or you can try for the conversion and you either are at 8 pts or 6 pts. Since kicking the PAT is practically automatic anyways this is exactly the situation you already have and coaches rarely if ever go for 2. Not sure how this interjects any new strategy into the game.
I think your post explains it very well. It's not meant to change anything, just remove something that has the same exact result 99.9% of the time.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by vanole35:
Originally posted by DDennis73:

I think your post explains it very well. It's not meant to change anything, just remove something that has the same exact result 99.9% of the time.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Exactly, It's just removing 4 or 5 extra unnecessary collisions.

I would rather they go to a 30 or 35 yard extra point with the 2 pt moved up to the 5 yard line. That would add strategy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT