ADVERTISEMENT

Question about star wars

Lemon Thrower

Seminole Insider
Aug 28, 2001
ok, when the movie came out in 1977, it was based on the books, right? In particular, movie #1 was book #4, etc.

then they went back and made movies 4-6 based on books 1-3.

so we are on movie #7, which corresponds with book #7, is that right?

who wrote the original books, and can you read book 7 yet?

I don't think they were originally based on books. There have been many Star Wars books after the movies. Lucas wrote the original movie with large inspiration coming from the book Dune. In fact, from what I've read Lucas was told the first time he took the story to the studio that it was far too close to Dune so he changed it enough that it could be made.

No books. The original Star Wars was a basic good v evil, hero rescues princess fairy tale. The imagery (nazi helmets and color scheme) easily resonated. It spun into a money free for all for Lucas after that

so the movie came first, and then someone wrote books and began with prequels?

No, the confusion is that Lucas claimed he based the movie on a book called the Journal of the Whills and the first Star Wars book was the fourth section of it. It's all a load of %+%* made up by Lucas, there is no base book. And truthfully he changed things tremendously over time from the original script (for example Luke was a hobbit/dwarf not a full sized human in the prospectus and it bears little resemblance to the final product. There's actually a really neat comic book where they did Star Wars exactly as written in the first completed script. See here for the huge differences http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars ).

So no, there is no "book" Lucas was basing it on. He claimed that for marketing purposes, but he constantly changed stuff for the first three movies when actually talented people said "Lucas these ideas are stupid and your writing is awful" meanwhile he had final control over the prequels and his stupid %+%+ went through unedited and reviewed.

To further confuse things there are novelizations of the movies but the first one was based off a mostly finished script (there are some differences in the novelization and the final New Hope including scenes otherwise deleted) and the others were written after the movies were already completed. The novelizations usually come out just a few weeks before the movie is released to theatres if it follows the prequel pattern.

A few years back I went to the bookstore to purchase the series for my nephew's birthday. I was surprised to find out there were no series and basically a bunch of different books by various authors.

Last edited:
Here are Star Wars novels... a load of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

I've read a few of them, but not very many. On recommendation, I read the Thrawn trilogy and The Hand of Thrawn. They were excellent.

Basically, Timothy Zahn is a good Star Wars writer. There are many bad book. Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Crystal Star to name a couple to avoid.

Here are Star Wars novels... a load of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

I've read a few of them, but not very many. On recommendation, I read the Thrawn trilogy and The Hand of Thrawn. They were excellent.

Basically, Timothy Zahn is a good Star Wars writer. There are many bad book. Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Crystal Star to name a couple to avoid.
Disney threw all of those out of the cannon of Star Wars. Kinda pissed cause the Thrawn trilogy was awesome.

Reactions: jeffy and FSUSarah
Yep, the books are all alternate universe now. They're still a great read, but they just happen in another "dimension" so to speak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT