ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for those familiar with Southern Utah and New Mexico

Appreciate that, the more one looks around the more there is more to try and fit in, any weeding and culling is appreciated. When we hit Vegas we are staying with relatives and just take a trip to the Strip. Have to plan a better Vegas trip in the future. Have you hit Hoover Dam? Is it worth it?

Originally posted by KLNole:
Appreciate that, the more one looks around the more there is more to try and fit in, any weeding and culling is appreciated. When we hit Vegas we are staying with relatives and just take a trip to the Strip. Have to plan a better Vegas trip in the future. Have you hit Hoover Dam? Is it worth it?
We did the Hoover Dam two Vegas trips ago. It was a little underwhelming compared to other things we did that trip (Valley of Fire, West Rim of Grand Canyon), but it's worth it to grab pics of the statue and pics of the dam. I wouldn't bother with a tour, just make it a twenty minute bathroom pit stop.

On Vegas I did post this elsewhere and actually saved it in case someone asked, but here are the best Vegas shots.

"Also since I'm an amateur shutterbug here are the best place to get iconic pics of Vegas are: 1) to park near the iconic vegas sign (daytime pic), 2) drive out to Las Vegas Springs Preserve for the best cityscape pics and some desert oil derricks although you do need to hike about half a mile to get to a clear shot of the city, no big whoop (daytime pic), 3) take the short drive to Red Rocks - although the longer drive to Valley of Fire is infinitely better, but you can get pics of Red Rocks including drive out there in about 1.5 to 2 hours round trip plus pics while that's about the one way drive to Valley of Fire (daytime pics), 4) Down the strip on the NYNY Pedestrian Bridge (nighttime pic), 5) from the Foundation Room atop Mandalay Bay (nighttime pic), 6) At night from the Mix atop Mandalay Bay facing the pyramid with its "laser" shooting up (nighttime pic), 7) From atop the Eiffel tower which is better view than Stratosphere albeit a little shorter I believe (nighttime pic), 6) walkway near Caesars facing Bally's (nighttime pic), 8) Reflections of the Bellagio across its lagoon during the day (daytime duh), 9) the lagoon and waterways at the Venetian (daytime), 10) Nighttime shots of the fountains at Bellagio (nighttime duh), 11) you standing behind the million dollar stack of money at Binions (anytime), and of course 12) Hoover Dam shots (daytime)."

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:

We did the Hoover Dam two Vegas trips ago. It was a little underwhelming compared to other things we did that trip (Valley of Fire, West Rim of Grand Canyon), but it's worth it to grab pics of the statue and pics of the dam. I wouldn't bother with a tour, just make it a twenty minute bathroom pit stop.
Great to know. When we did our big road trip in 2012 to Montana and back, the Badlands was amazing and Devils Tower was a must stop.

Originally posted by smurfdaddy:
thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CIN-N5cNwk

This post was edited on 2/25 6:01 PM by smurfdaddy
Great video. If the family is not up for the hike, then they can wait for me at the hotel.

Great to know. When we did our big road trip in 2012 to Montana and back, the Badlands was amazing and Devils Tower was a must stop.
I pulled up some of my iPhone pics of my Hoover Dam trip. The statues are really nicer than the view.

1010739_4891958696711_1282620858_n.jpg

1010560_4891959456730_429228450_n.jpg

311623_4891961496781_88424242_n.jpg

969439_4891961776788_729543797_n.jpg

1002431_4891963056820_639417827_n.jpg

Originally posted by warchant03:
Very short hike that could be a cool experience, is Tent Rocks by Cochiti. It's literally an exit you take off I-25 just south of Santa Fe. Rocks are formed into conical "tents," take the slot canyon hike and you go walking through a very narrow canyon (see pic below), make a small trek up the side of a hill and then you're looking out over a cliff with a pretty cool panoramic view.

I mean, in the spectrum of things you may have seen its nothing THAT cool, but it doesn't take long and given its location right off I-25, might be something to consider.
As far as New Mexico, tentatively I have is coming down from Amarillo Texas to Roswell after our dinner at the over the top Big Texan. We didn't originally have Roswell as a stop but it's a convenient rest area between Amarillo and White Sands. Then once I saw the Alien Zone a tacky tourist stop with a dozen or so "alien photo ops" I decided we'd take a couple in the morning and then dip down the hour drive to Carlsbad before heading over to White Sands. I found out that if you don't want to hike the two hour guided tour which is allegedly strenuous you can take a self guided tour using an elevator up and back and it only takes about half an hour to see the Big Room. Then we're going to eat dinner at Sadies or El Pinto in Albuquerque. The next morning we'll get up before dawn to get sunrise shots at Tent Rocks and then do several of the other things around Santa Fe including eating at Maria's.

I'm not that excited about Carlsbad, we're just going to do it as it's a big name tourist spot that is not too far off our planned track. If we hadn't done cave systems recently then I'd be more excited, but it's only been a couple of years since we've done Jenolan Caves in Australia which is so large you actually drive cars and buses through the first main cave and a lot of people (we did) end up parking in the cave and we did the Glowworm Caves in Waitomo New Zealand which has a full River cruise you take through the system where there are millions of glowworms (really glowing spider looking creatures dangling from silk threads) that light up the caves like it's the night sky in a desolate area where you can see the Milky Way.) Plus we've done Mammoth Cave and cenotes near Cozumel and several lesser American cave systems like Luray and the Florida Caverns. So I'm fine with taking the shortcut in Carlsbad and don't need to hike all over creation. We did that in Jenolan where we spent almost an entire day doing seven or eight different cave systems with aid of a guide. That was amazing but no need to recreate if possible.
given the choice between those two, pick El Pinto every day and twice on Sunday.

But, make reservations ahead of time if they'll let you, if you get unlucky there could be an hour or more wait.

This post was edited on 2/26 10:30 AM by warchant03

Originally posted by warchant03:
given the choice between those two, pick El Pinto every day and twice on Sunday.

But, make reservations ahead of time if they'll let you, if you get unlucky there could be an hour or more wait.

This post was edited on 2/26 10:30 AM by warchant03
Thanks for the suggestion. We were trying to narrow it down and we reached those two and got stuck. I was already leaning towards El Pinto just because of the look of the patio but that cemented it.

Have you eaten at the Pueblo Harvest Cafe? It looks like thanks to taking a red eye flight back, we'll have one extra day on our trip I didn't originally account for and we're probably going to split it between NM and Utah. I'm really starting to like NM at least on paper the more I read up on the restaurants and things to do. So originally we were only going to be in Albuquerque for dinner and now we'll probably be eating breakfasts, lunch and dinner in Albuquerque, a breakfast, lunch and dinner in Santa Fe and a breakfast in Roswell.

At the moment based upon your suggestion I've penned in the dinner at El Pintos in Albuquerque and I think I've penned in the breakfast at La Plazuela at La Fonda hotel in Santa Fe and a dinner at Maria's in Santa Fe. I'm eyeballing a couple of places for lunch in Albuquerque. One would be Mac's Steak in the Rough so I'm not constantly eating New Mexican/Mexican food and the other is the Pueblo Harvest Cafe. I haven't really looked into brekkie for Albuquerque yet as I wasn't planning on being there for breakfast. Similarly I haven't settled on anything for lunch in Santa Fe as my itinerary didn't originally have me there for anything but one dinner and the following days brekkie. I haven't looked much into Roswell yet. I know the famous alien diner "Crashdown Cafe" is now closed permanently for some reason, but I haven't looked into replacements for breakfast.

Thanks F4 sounds great, we'll probably do that for breakfast or lunch.

Thanks F4 sounds great, we'll probably do that for breakfast or lunch.

I still love Garduno's in Rio Rancho, off the interstate just north of Albuquerque.

When it's full of locals, it has to be good.

Originally posted by goldmom:

I still love Garduno's in Rio Rancho, off the interstate just north of Albuquerque.

When it's full of locals, it has to be good.
Don't be fooled goldmom, Garduños is a chain restaurant. There are a few around Albuquerque, also in Santa Fe, Las Cruces, and possibly even over in Arizona and Nevada. You can walk into an Applebee's in Albuquerque and it will be full of "locals," but that doesn't mean its going to be any different than something you can get anywhere else.

I did not know that.

Gosh, now I hate it. I mean, Ruths Chris is a chain too. Dang, now they suck.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Originally posted by goldmom:

I did not know that.

Gosh, now I hate it. I mean, Ruths Chris is a chain too. Dang, now they suck.
rolleyes.r191677.gif
It's just a small chain with five restaurants. I don't hate on small mom and pop chains, it's the Crapplebees and Chilis restaurants with prefab sauces and frozen meats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT