ADVERTISEMENT

Quotes from Vikings GM Spielman, Dalvin Cook and Jimbo Fisher

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
Vikings GM Rick Spielman

OK, we’re very excited to get the quality of running back we were able to get. We started making some calls once we knew he was going to slide into the second day, and as we looked and he kept coming down the board, we felt that he was just too talented of a player not to take a swing and try to go up and get him and feel that we have great value for where we were able to land Dalvin (Cook) in the second round. So, I’ll go ahead and open it up for questions.

Q: Why did he fall that far?

A: I’m sure, as you sit there, you look at some of the things in his history. Starting with the medical, we had no concerns with his medical. I know our doctors examined him and felt fine from that standpoint. Just like all these players that have some things in their background, we spent an extensive amount of time researching that and felt very comfortable after going through everything. In fact, I called him this morning and spoke with him for another 45 minutes, just rehashing everything again. I know all our scouts and all the processes that we go through in the end, he was a player we felt comfortable to take.

Q: What did you hear straight from him that made him a worthwhile pick given the risk?

A: I think it’s him just being sincere and honest. I know the incidents that have been reported out there. He was never (convicted) with the incident, I believe, at the bar, and I won’t get into a lot of details you brought up, but I think that was thrown out within a half hour. I specifically asked him very pointed questions, and I knew he was sincere and honest with how he answered everything and by the background and due diligence that we did.

Q: It sounds like people are concerned with the people he surrounds himself with. Is that a concern for you, too?

A: We covered that as well and talked and we always ask the players about who they would bring up to the organization. I know on our team, he knows Xavier (Rhodes), he knows Teddy (Bridgewater), so he knows some very quality people up here, and I think with our locker room, with the support staff we have in place here, I think this kid has really, really matured over the last couple of years, and we have no concerns at all about him being a Minnesota Viking.

Q: What did he say to convince you that he's going to leave those people behind?

A: He told me, and I believed him. I think he has probably woken up a little bit about how important football is, and I truly believe that he is on a mission coming up here and is going to be a great football player for us. And I do believe, honestly, that we do trust him and that he will do all the right things, as well, off of everything we’ve been able to research.

Q: On the football field, what stands out to you?

A: I had an opportunity to go see him play live in the opening ball game. I think they played Ole’ Miss where the Pro Bowl was played in Orlando. I got to watch lots of tape on him. We felt that he was definitely one of the top two running backs in this class, and not only is he an explosive playmaker with the ball in his hands, as a running back, he has great balance, great vision. I think watching him catch the ball out of the backfield and the explosive plays he makes out of the backfield as a receiver are another threat. There’s always going to be some things these running backs have to clean up like pass (protection) and things like that. But, overall as a talent with the ball in his hands and as a receiver, we felt he was one of the most complete backs in this draft.

Q: Is pass protection what concerns you the most about Dalvin Cook?

A: Well when you look at all these college kids, a lot of it, that’s stuff as we met through the draft and we talked about all these kids, and we talk about their negatives. Our coaches felt very strongly, it’s not a matter of him not wanting to pass pro; he’s definitely willing enough to pass pro. It’s just a matter of cleaning up the technique. That stuff is coachable.

Q: He had 13 fumbles in college. When you look at ball security, where did you land on that?

A: Kennedy (Polamalu), when he came in on his interview, we talked about ball security and what he teaches, and he has a great history of running backs when he was down in Jacksonville. All the stuff, I think, from a negative standpoint, are things that are definitely correctable with coaching, and I have no doubt we will be able to correct those.

Q: Was there concerns about – was it Philly? – was going to take him?
A: I can’t predict who was going ... I don’t know who was on their draft boards. I personally didn’t feel that he was going to last very much longer. So, I had a pretty good feeling that he wasn’t going to last until our pick at 48, so that’s why we became a little bit more aggressive to try to jump ahead of some of those teams that had the potential to take a running back. We met this morning, most of the early afternoon, going through that second round and picking hot spots. We always try to look at teams’ rosters and teams’ needs, and we spent a lot of time picking out hot spots of where we’d have to go in order to make sure that we secure the player that we really wanted to get.

Q: Is part of what impressed you the fact that he had some of his best games against the toughest opponents?

A: He was playing in a pretty good conference, and when you see him running away from defensive players that have a lot of speed and are at that talent level, that kind of tells you what type of football player he is. And I believe that you’re going to see that same speed at this level, and when you can get a running back, especially that has had that much success in his conference that he plays in, that’s a pretty good success rate of how they perform in the NFL.

Q: How much have you talked to offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur on how you think he’ll fit in with the other running backs on the roster?

A: Yeah, I know when I went in to talk to Pat this morning about this being a possibly, his mouth kind of dropped, and so did Kennedy’s (Polamalu), because I went in and talked to him, as well. And we’re very fortunate, I think. One of the areas that we definitely have to improve on is the running game, and I think with the three backs that we currently have right now, I think we’re going to have some playmakers coming out of our backfield this year.

DALVIN COOK

First I just want to start by saying I thank the Lord for putting me in the right organization like the Minnesota Vikings and Rick Spielman for believing in me. I am going to come in and help this organization win more football games.

Q: Rick said you spoke for 45 minutes today, so how did that conversation go and did you have a feeling you would end up with the Vikings?
A: We definitely had a 45-minute conversation this morning on the phone. We talked about everything and he got to know me more as a person and got a good feel for me. The conversation went well and I was just confident about it.

Q: What were you most eager to tell him about yourself?
A: I was more eager for him just get to know the person that is Dalvin Cook and for him to know if he drafted me to the Minnesota Vikings, he was getting a guy who would represent the organization the right way and go to war for his teammates every game and help them win a football game.

Q: Were you surprised with your talent how far you fell?

A: No, you just have to accept things as a man and I was just waiting my turn and that was it. I was just waiting for my name to be called, and I got called to a great organization like Minnesota.

Q: How did you try and convince Minnesota or any club that you were worth taking a risk on?
A: You just have to be willing and open about everything and you have to be truthful and tell them that you will come in, and show them and prove to them that they are getting the right guy when they picked me. You still have to be open about everything and let them get a good feel for you.

Q: Why did you have some of those transgressions earlier in life? Rick Spielman said you are taking football more seriously and have woken up in recent years.
A: This is my life and I love football. It is my job now, and I love the game. I just love everything it represents. Just moving forward, I have learned from everything and I’m just willing to come in and be surrounded by great people and learn from great people and just do great things.

Q: How important is it to you to know people with the Vikings like Xavier Rhodes and Teddy Bridgewater?
A: It’s very important. First off, they’re great people to be around and learn from. They represent the Vikings in the right way and everybody knows that Xav and Teddy are good people. It’s good to be around those guys, learn from those guys and learn how to be a pro.

Q: The Vikings have Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon here. Where do you see yourself fitting into this organization?
A: Great running back group. I’m just going to come in and work my tail off and provide to a great backfield that we’re going to have. You know, just come in to be a contributor wherever I fit in at. I’m going to take my role and I’m going to represent it one hundred percent.

Q: In what ways do you think you’ve helped your offensive line?
A: I think my vision and being able to put my offensive linemen in that place to make a block and just being able to make guys miss when they’re unblocked and just making my O-Linemen right. I think that’s what a good running back is supposed to do, and I think that’s what I did at Florida State.

Q: How surreal is it going to the team to essentially be Adrian Peterson’s replacement?
A: Growing up watching Adrian Peterson, one of the great running backs I’ve ever watched, it was something special. To go to the team that he played for is still unreal. Adrian Peterson is a great back. I’m just going to come in and work hard to be the best Dalvin I can be.

JIMBO FISHER
Q: What do you think of the Vikings selecting RB Dalvin Cook?

A: I think it’s a tremendous move. I think he was definitely a first-round talent. I think he can change the game. I think he’s very dynamic, he was for us. He’s very durable, never missed time, played injured, played banged up when he had to. Changes numbers on the scoreboard, multiple, multiple long TD runs. Can split him out of the backfield, catch the ball, can run routes, not only out of the backfield but when you split him out, but not on the short routes, on the deep routes. Brings a tremendous competitive spirit to your team, great teammate for our guys. I think it’s a great fit for him, it’s a good fit.

Q: What kind of person do you think the Vikings are getting?

A: I never had issues with Dalvin. He was never disrespectful, allows you to coach him hard. Was never late, never not on time, was always really good with other teammates. Affected guys on our team in a positive way all the time. If we ever had issues with a guy that wasn’t doing the right thing, he was a guy that talked to a lot of our guys. We never saw the issues that are so-called being out there.

Q: In what ways did he help your offensive line be better?

A: I think he has a feel for the game. He really understands blocking schemes. He has great patience. The other thing is he has great eye discipline, which I think is very important for a back, to train his eyes to look at the right things and then react. His patience, his ability to stretch that field as far as with stretch runs. With zone schemes, when you stretch it to cut it back to hit it. He’s very disciplined with the run game and his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and be so multi-dimensional. Catching screens, catching the ball down the field, he can get out quick, underneath screens. Then his ability to set blocks up, he really understood how to set blocks up and then get to that second level and explode.

Q: Is there a player you’ve had or coached against that he reminds you of?

A: I’m going to be honest with you, you go back and how many long dynamic TD runs this guy had. I’ve coached a lot of great backs, Devonta Freeman, who’s an All-Pro in the league right now playing as well as anybody in the NFL, Davonte was a phenomenal player. But Dalvin was more dynamic because of the home run speed and from that standpoint I haven’t coached against a back or coached a back that was so dynamic that every time he touched the ball, he could score a TD.

Q: Any of those long TD runs that stand out in particular?

A: I’m going to tell you what, there was one against Clemson this year. He runs a counter play and he bounces outside, safety has it and he hits an angle down the sideline, it was right in front of us, I said, ‘Oh, that’ll be a nice 10-12 yard gain.’ He hit the corner and was gone against really good people that just shocked me. Two years ago, it was a little option pitch against Miami and he’s against the boundary, but he has the ability to accelerate and see it. He got down the sideline for about a 70-yard TD run. There’s so many. There was a point in time that he had like 12 TDs and his average TD run was like 47 yards. So there was an abundance of them.

Q: Was there a specific time where he was banged up but he played through?
A: The whole sophomore year, he never really pulled his hamstring, he had a strained one, by our GPS system we knew how much to work him. I’ve never been around a guy that knew his body better than he did. There would be runs, he’d be running and he’d pull up and you’d think, ‘Oh, he pulled his hamstring.’ He’d just jog to the sideline, run out of bounds. He’d feel it pulling and say, “No Coach, it was just pulling.’ He’d stretch it out and go right back in the game and run for 200 yards in the game. The other thing about him too, when he was injured, again when he had the shoulder surgery, his healing, I’ve never been around a guy who healed as fast as he did. His body for some reason can heal. Normal time for a guy would be 4-5 months for an injury, he’d be back in 3 months and be fully healed. It was very unique.

Q: What do you think it will mean to Dalvin to come to a place with a potential mentor in Xavier Rhodes?

A: I think it’d be perfect because they know each other, they know of each other. Dalvin grew up in that section of Miami. Even though he lived with his grandmother later, he grew up in that northern section of Miami right there. Him and Xavier are very similar in a lot of ways because Xav is a very quiet type person, Dalvin really deep down is a quiet type person. I think having someone there that knows where you come from, and then Xav setting the tone with how he’s playing and what he’s doing up there in Minnesota, I think it’s a great fit. I think he’d be a great person to mentor for him.

Q: Were you surprised how long he lasted?
A: Without a doubt, I really was. Because no offense, but there was a lot of guys who had a lot of issues. But like I said, everybody has their own way of doing things. I mean, Devonta didn’t go until the fourth round, look at what he’s doing in the NFL right now. Because the explosion and the diversity and the way the game is being played in the NFL right now, Dalvin meets all those needs and then he does it with such explosion and ability to score TDs every time he touches it, it really did shock me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News