Nov 26, 2008
Came here to vent!

I don’t understand people who take joy out of killing an innocent animal

Just because they can

A client of mine has a place out in the sticks I’m remodeling

Lots of wildlife which I love

I go down the roads slow so not to run any over

My client took me to dinner last night
Upon returning to the 2.5 mile dirt road back to the cabin he sees a possum and intentionally steers towards it

I get pissed and tell him how bad that is

He says he missed it but today I see it dead

I rip his ass for real

I know it’s just a possum to him but to me it’s one of Gods creatures and to maliscously just kill it really upset me

I was raised if you kill a critter you eat it!

Reactions: BrianNole777
Came here to vent!

I don’t understand people who take joy out of killing an innocent animal

Just because they can

A client of mine has a place out in the sticks I’m remodeling

Lots of wildlife which I love

I go down the roads slow so not to run any over

My client took me to dinner last night
Upon returning to the 2.5 mile dirt road back to the cabin he sees a possum and intentionally steers towards it

I get pissed and tell him how bad that is

He says he missed it but today I see it dead

I rip his ass for real

I know it’s just a possum to him but to me it’s one of Gods creatures and to maliscously just kill it really upset me

I was raised if you kill a critter you eat it!
Well,

So are you sorry when you run over a rattlesnake or a cottonmouth?
I’m not. Heck I killed a coral snake in my garage a few years ago. Don’t regret it at all.

Reactions: seminoleed
Possums are tearing up my yard and the squirrels caused $1800 of chewed up wiring on my truck and RV.
I hate them.
Oh, and don't get me started on the moles in my yard.

Not a fan of needlessly killing things but if it's something that causes damage or has the potential to kill people or the dogs they are gone. I take no joy in it but it's necessary. Squirrells, moles, possums and poisonous snakes in the yard usually get it. And the birds that poop on my car.

Reactions: F4Gary
I get what you all are saying

However, this was not near his house
It was on the dirt road winding through the woods

If some find it ok to needlessly, intentionally kill a critter out in its home in the wild

Then I guess have at it

I guess some critters can’t live near your homes, nor out in the wilds where there just trying to make their day

I get what you all are saying

However, this was not near his house
It was on the dirt road winding through the woods

If some find it ok to needlessly, intentionally kill a critter out in its home in the wild

Then I guess have at it

I guess some critters can’t live near your homes, nor out in the wilds where there just trying to make their day
What he did wasn't ok. If it's not near my house or causing damage I dont bother them.

Reactions: goldmom
I am with you, itch. That act of cruelty does not reflect well on your client, at all. Your story reminds me of a time that I was driving out near Lake Bradford in Tallahassee, and I clipped a rabbit that ran out in front of me. I stopped to check on it and had to put it down. I still feel badly about it. Sadly, my dog has killed about a dozen possums over the years, and I hate it every time.

I’m not in favor of randomly killing most animals but poisonous snakes get no breaks from me. I do not want alligators and wild hogs anywhere near my house. I’ve seen the damage feral pigs can do to people’s lawns overnight.
Now if I lived out west and was a rancher I’d also be very worried about wolves and coyotes.

I once ran over a rattlesnake on a taxiway in Monterey Mexico with my trusty Fokker F100.
Kinda on purpose but hard to judge trying to miss it. 🐍
Funny story. We had a pilot run over a rattler while taking off near Vegas. When the jet came back the business end of the snake was still in the gear fangs and all. We had to call environmental to remove it.

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
Now if I lived out west and was a rancher I’d also be very worried about wolves and coyotes.
I have had a lot of surreal run-ins with coyotes over the years. Both of the VA campuses where I worked were notorious for coyotes, especially on the golf courses. On several occasions, I would be playing a round after work and would get into a standoff with a group of coyotes that favored one of the greens. One of the VAs also had a very aggressive owl population that would routinely scare the crap out of me in the evenings when they were swooping down to take out voles and groundhogs. It was not unusual to the parking lot littered in fur and bones in the early mornings.

Another time, I was teaching at a Cal State campus that is out in the middle of nowhere, and I came out of my office to find my car covered in lounging coyotes. I have encountered coyotes trotting down major boulevards in the middle of night, including Hollywood Blvd right next to Grauman's Chinese Theatre. The most alarming encounter was in a Japanese garden on the hillside above The Magic Castle. It was late and essentially deserted, and I walked right up to the coyote, less than 10' away, before I noticed it. She was not happy about being startled, and I did not have an easy way to avoid it.

Last edited:
I have had a lot of surreal run-ins with coyotes over the years. Both of the VA campuses where I worked were notorious for coyotes, especially on the golf courses. On several occasions, I would be playing a round after work and would get into a standoff with a group of coyotes that favored one of the greens. One of the VAs also had a very aggressive owl population that would routinely scare the crap out of me in the evenings when they were swooping down to take out voles and groundhogs. It was not unusual to the parking lot littered in fur and bones in the early mornings.

Another time, I was teaching at a Cal State campus that is out in the middle of nowhere, and I came out of my office to find my car covered in lounging coyotes. I have encountered coyotes trotting down major boulevards in the middle of night, including Hollywood Blvd right next to Grauman's Chinese Theatre. The most alarming encounter was in a Japanese garden on the hillside above The Magic Castle. It was late and essentially deserted, and I walked right up to the coyote, less than 10' away, before I noticed it. She was not happy about being startled, and I did not have an easy way to avoid it.
When we lived in SoCal my husband and his co-workers had an early tee time on a Saturday morning and he came home laughing because a coyote ran on the course and made off with his golf ball. As an East Coast boy he’d never seen anything like it.

Those golf course coyotes are no joke. They consider that space to be theirs, and anything that we bring to it is theirs, as well. I have had a coyote chew through a golf bag to get to candy bar in the five minutes that I was not paying attention to it.

We had them in South Texas all the time but only had to kill a few of them. Normally they will run off if confronted or you stand them down. The dogs have killed more than me over the years. I don't like to shoot them cause they are still dogs.

I've seen a few in Florida as well especially out on the west end of PCB towards Santa Rosa Beach. They don't seem to cause many issues though. It would be nice if they would come around and clean up the stray cats.

On a follow up, last week I helped save a baby possum who found itself in middle of a super busy intersection

Poor thing was beyond scared
So a guy and I got him out of harms way and back to the woods safely!!

Great feeling helping someone or something!

I also rescued a gopher turtle off a busy road people were cheering me as I moved it to safer grounds!

Killing things you don’t need to kill is a character flaw. Possums eat ticks.
Coyotes eat rats.
Possums can also do some serious yard damage. If they dont cause any trouble I dont bother them. Coyotes do clear up some rodents so I don't bother them. Normally the dogs take them out anyway of they get too close. Snakes eat rats too, but they can also kill people and dogs of they are poisonous. If you can keep the pests away from the house none of these are a problem.

We do have a bear that loves to come around on trash day. Now she has 2 cubs so you gotta be on the alert.

Possums can also do some serious yard damage. If they dont cause any trouble I dont bother them. Coyotes do clear up some rodents so I don't bother them. Normally the dogs take them out anyway of they get too close. Snakes eat rats too, but they can also kill people and dogs of they are poisonous. If you can keep the pests away from the house none of these are a problem.

We do have a bear that loves to come around on trash day. Now she has 2 cubs so you gotta be on the alert.
Armadillos do even worse yard damage.

Same guy sent me a picture of a rattlesnake he ran over this weekend

Keep in mind his house is 2.5 miles off hard road

So why not just let the snake cross

It’s in the woods not even close to his house

I rescued another turtle from the beeline highway in Palm bch today

A big soft shell

Stopped, waves traffic over and got him to his destination safely!

Same guy sent me a picture of a rattlesnake he ran over this weekend

Keep in mind his house is 2.5 miles off hard road

So why not just let the snake cross

It’s in the woods not even close to his house

I rescued another turtle from the beeline highway in Palm bch today

A big soft shell

Stopped, waves traffic over and got him to his destination safely!
Guy sounds like a grade a Summers Eve. Karma will find its way to this loser's doorstep.

When I was a kid we would go visit my parents close friends who lived on a farm 12 miles outside of Madison down a red dirt road.
We loved going for rides in the back of the truck and I still remember him hitting the brakes and grabbing a shovel and killing an enormous rattler that was crossing the road.
His younger brother had been bitten by a rattlesnake as a child and had died as a result. He had awful memories of seeing his brother suffering and his parents grief. It’s always stayed in my mind.

When I was a kid we would go visit my parents close friends who lived on a farm 12 miles outside of Madison down a red dirt road.
We loved going for rides in the back of the truck and I still remember him hitting the brakes and grabbing a shovel and killing an enormous rattler that was crossing the road.
His younger brother had been bitten by a rattlesnake as a child and had died as a result. He had awful memories of seeing his brother suffering and his parents grief. It’s always stayed in my mind.

Im sure it would affect me if I was in his shoes!

My brother got bit by a raccoon when we were young

He had to take 28 shots mostly in the stomach

Circumstances can change us for sure!

I get that part and if you're in your house or vicinity ill kill poisonous snakes to protect the family and dogs. But if I'm out in the woods in their territory I won't kill them unless there is a threat. After all we are on their turf at that point, but I definitely understand the ill will.

Reactions: goldmom
I get that part and if you're in your house or vicinity ill kill poisonous snakes to protect the family and dogs. But if I'm out in the woods in their territory I won't kill them unless there is a threat. After all we are on their turf at that point, but I definitely understand the ill will.
Agree. I would guess that just for example (randomly) as I drive between Jax and Tally on I-10 I’m passing woods where maybe 1,000 or more venomous snakes are living in the woods. No big deal.
If one slithers into my yard it’s a goner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT