ADVERTISEMENT

Recap/quotes from Mike Norvell's call-in show (8/30): (updated 8 PM, LB Gainer, Marve)

Austin R. Cox

Warchant Staff Writer
Apr 29, 2019
Tallahassee, Fl.
That is all from Gainer, next up is LBs coach Chris Marve.

Said its important to realize as a coach you have the ability to develop young men.

Said its a "beautiful thing" every year to have new players. Especially young guys you can have more time with.

Biggest key ingredient in a LB: “Your mindset. Who you are. I truly believe what think what you think about yourself, who you believe yourself to be. That impacts everything you do, your behavior, habits. I think it’s your mindset.”

Said there is some nuance to playing LB. You have to be a "unique specimen," especially at FSU.

Said ND is fundamental and well-coached. “Their running backs run hard, play with great passion. We welcome that challenge as linebackers and we look forward to it.”

Said the players have “worked tirelessly,” and he is excited for them to “see the fruits of their labor.”

Said there is a lot of anticipation and nerves in game 1 of the season. “For us, we hope that manifests itself positively.”

That's all from the show, thanks for reading!

-----

That is all for Norvell, next up is LB Amari Gainer.

Gainer said he loved playing at Chiles in Tallahassee.

Gainer on his dad, Herb, who started at WR for FSU in the 80s: “I grew up a Seminole. Going to games as a young kid, wanting to be in his shoes. Seeing guys like Deion Sanders…Let me know how hard I had to work.”

Said Coach Storms has done a great job. Nutrition staff has done great.

Said the new weight room is great.

Said the defense is a lot more versatile this year than last. Said the system changes every week and every year.

On the LB room: Said DeCalon Brooks is a “dedicated, smart guy” that keeps the room focused. Also mentioned good things on DeLoach, McRae, Rice, Andrews, Dix. Said DJ Lundy is “a big guy who loves to hit people.”

On LBs coach Chris Marve: “He’s definitely not quiet. He comes to work with a passion. He stays consistent. He’s done it, he’s done it at a big level.”

-----

Norvell said he’s “really liked the competition and development in the defensive backfield.”

Said defensively they’ve “got to have those impact plays.”

Mentioned Jermaine Johnson, Keir Thomas, Marcus Cushnie at end. Mentioned Briggs, Lovett, and Cooper at DT.

On Akeem Dent: “He’s playing with a lot of confidence. Just seeing his physicality. We’ve seen a new Akeem Dent. That confidence is emerging day in and day out.”

On prep work this week. Said the last four days have been an early introduction of Notre Dame. Said game week is cleaning up the details, making sure they’re consistent.

Mentioned ND has new personnel and a new defensive coordinator. Said they’ll need to be able to adjust and adapt to the things they see.

This is going to be a dang good defense we’ll be going against. Said Marcus Freeman is one of the best defensive coordinators in all of college football. His defenses will play fast and physical.

On tradition of FSU: “It’s special and this is a special place. Its exciting that we get to kick it off at home, to be able to do it Sunday, the only game in town.”

-----

Norvell On the QB situation: “We’re excited about the quarterback room and the work those guys have put in. Both have done a great job of leading this team. Excited to see what both will do this season.”

Said they have a “good core of running backs” who are “willing to do the dirty work.” Said they like to get two, even three on the field at once.

On the WRs: Pokey, Helton, Parchment “are the elder statesmen of the group. Each had a nice camp. I like the depth that we have, I like the work ethic.” Mentioned he’s liked what he’s seen from the younger guys as well.

On the TEs: “Camm McDonald, Jordan Wilson, Preston Daniels have really started to emerge.” Those were the 3 he mentioned.

Said it was hard to develop consistency with 4 starting QBs in 9 games. “We have to throw the football better…That is one of the areas where we have taken grand steps” during the preseason camp.

Said establishing the run is part of their identity. “A hard-nosed, tough mentality.” Said along the OL, guys embraced that challenge.

Said they’re glad to have OL Dillan Gibbons. Had some more good things to say about Gibbons.

-----

Alright everyone, Coach Norvell is live with Gene Deckerhoff on ABC locally. Follow along for quotes throughout the hour.

Norvell said “It just sounds so good” to hear “game week.”

Deckerhoff points out this will be the first-ever (edit: regular season) Sunday game in FSU history. Norvell: “It’s an exciting time. There’s a lot of electricity around the city, around the team.”

LB Coach Chris Marve will be the coach guest, and LB Amari Gainer will be the player guest on tonight’s show.

Norvell on the hurricane Ida: “That’s something that we’ve been checking on throughout the weekend. Thankfully everyone is safe…Our prayers and thoughts are with everyone. But our players and their families are safe and all accounted for.” Coach YAC Johnson, Coach Woodson, Fabian Lovett, Jarrian Jones, Corey Wren, J. Douglas were among those affected with family in the area.

On the ND game in 2020: “It was a hard-fought game. They had a great team last year. I was really pleased with the way that our guys fought till the end in that game.”

On the ND opener: “We are going to need our best effort. Our guys understand the opportunity is there.”

More on the 2020 ND game: “We competed. We still came up short, and it was disappointing for everyone. As we were setting the foundation of who we are, our mindset, to push until the end of the contest.”

Said guys have developed physically, and they’re excited for this team. “There’s a lot of confidence brewing.”

Teased the Spirit Spear. Deckerhoff mentioned it and Norvell said “I hope we bring that thing back for Sunday night, because we definitely need that come Sunday.” (Note: I could be reading too much into it.)

On keys to game-planning and prep: “You have to get a sense of who your team is…As we put those first 11 and how that is going to come together.”

On the start of the season: “There is a great deal of excitement. We practiced this morning and guys were really flying around. Its not been a secret who we’ve been opening with. The guys have had a true purpose and a passion to improve daily. There has been great competition.”

-----

Mike Norvell's call-in coaches show, Inside Seminole Football, will begin tonight at 7:00 p.m. airing on ABC in Tallahassee. You can find the live stream to ABC here to watch the show. The show will air each Monday from 7-8 p.m.

Each week, I'll have live quotes in a thread and I'll make sure to include anything interesting or newsworthy that was said. In addition to Norvell, they also bring on an assistant coach and a player each episode. See you all at 7:00!

ICYMI: Recap/Quotes from last week's show (8/23)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News