ADVERTISEMENT

Ryder Cup 2018

Wow. Wonder what the standard liability contract on a ticket is. Also wonder what the liability law in France looks like vs the US.

Just one reason I have little interest in standing down range from a golf tee box.

Reactions: Bill From Tampa
In relation to FSU the lack of netting to protect the bleachers at Howser is not what I would consider reasonable care by the university. A disclosure on a ticket does not overcome neglecting a known hazard.
Risk avoidance, problem solved

These are athletes that rarely compete in a team environment. All these guys (in order to perform at that level) are self-centered egomaniacs. They don’t know how to be on a team.

But the exact same can be said about the Euro team, and they never seem to have a problem coming together

When I was a kid (probably around 10 or 11 years old), I saw an errant drive of Arnie's hit a guy in the face & take out his front teeth. The guy was about 10 or 15 yards away from me; good lesson that I've never forgotten - if you hear someone yell FORE, under no circumstances should you turn that direction to try to spot the ball so you can avoid getting hit. Turn the other direction, duck,and make yourself as small as possible. Taking one to the back is much preferable to taking one on the front.

This happened at the old Citrus Open at Rio Pinar CC in Orlando.

Reactions: cmanole
"Didn't have a shot" is hyperbole. The team arrived on Monday -- three days to adjust to time seems plenty to me.
While I'm not usually one for excuses, we did have 11 team members playing at East Lake 4 days before Ryder Cup started whereas EU had only 6. Somewhat disproved by the Molinari/Fleetwood performances but still didn't help IMO.

But the exact same can be said about the Euro team, and they never seem to have a problem coming together

Not looking to get into a deep cultural debate. But I think Europeans are much different culturally than we are. More laid back, more accepting to others, less about “me”, stress and curveballs don’t rattle them as much. They’ve learned how to compete at high levels differently than we have.

But yeah, I get your point, and agree.

I recently sat on a civil case involving personal injury. To say "just another person seeking money" only really scratches the surface of the real issue here.

Seriously, would you make the same statement if it happened to you or your wife or sibling or parent?

There are factual real cases where someone or some company is negligent and due to that negligence, some injuries are quite real, and damages suffered , physically and monetarily, are quite sad

I'll bet you this woman (and millions of others) didnt wake up in the morning, and say "well, I'm going to a golf tournament, its possible i might lose my eye in the process, so its worth the risk of watching"

If she sues, she'll have a good case if somehow its determined the tournament is negligent.

She lost the sight in an eye, it sounds like she has a serious debilitating injury, and I dont blame her.

They'll have to change their policy about attending these events in person.

I feel bad for her, but golf balls travel through the air very fast. You should know you’re at risk. All people think about now is “sue sue sue!” There’s zero personal responsibility for anyone nowadays.

U.S. Ryder Cup member rips Patrick Reed for comments

Someone on the United States' Ryder Cup team has zero patience with Patrick Reed questioning the pairings after this weekend's blowout loss to Europe.

Reed essentially threw captain Jim Furyk under the bus by telling The New York Times on Sunday that he was "blindsided" by not playing with Jordan Spieth after the pair's past success in international competitions.

"He is so full of s---,'' a member of Team USA told the New York Post on Monday. "Blindsided, my ass. He begged to play with Tiger [Woods].''

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24869884/usa-player-reportedly-blasts-back-patrick-reed

Someone on the United States' Ryder Cup team has zero patience with Patrick Reed questioning the pairings after this weekend's blowout loss to Europe.

Reed essentially threw captain Jim Furyk under the bus by telling The New York Times on Sunday that he was "blindsided" by not playing with Jordan Spieth after the pair's past success in international competitions.

"He is so full of s---,'' a member of Team USA told the New York Post on Monday. "Blindsided, my ass. He begged to play with Tiger [Woods].''

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24869884/usa-player-reportedly-blasts-back-patrick-reed
What a bunch of drama queens. Next time they need to take 13 - 25 and leave the pre madonnas at home...

I'd prefer a format where the coach has complete control over who is on the team rather than people automatically making it due to ranking. Then we could find players who actually do play together well, who's skills match the course we're playing at, etc...
Is it time to blow up the whole thing sort of like team USA basketball had to do in the mid-2000's? And can it even be done? It's not like great players weren't involved in this thing but the lack of chemistry is brutal to see.

Reed seems like a jerk, but at least he puts his name to stuff.

He is a jerk. Along with Bubba Watson they are clearly the 2 most disliked players on tour. By a wide margin.

vijay-singh-of-fiji-waits-on-the-12th-tee-during-the-second-round-of-picture-id151447948

Fans typically don't like him, and through the years he's had a bad relationship with both the press and the PGA Tour execs, but most everything I've ever read indicated that Vijay was well-liked by most other tour players.

For incidents like this, there is clear precedence - not that it can't be challenged.

The basic rule-of-thumb is by way of the question "was the injury caused due to normal events that take place during a typical 'contest?'IThat is to say, if someone gets injured in the course of events at a normal contest, then the organizers are not liable. Since it is quite normal for golf shots to sail out of bounds, into the gallery, and other errant "flight paths" then the tournament organizers are not liable.

BUT - if the gallery ropes were not set in a standard position, then it wouldn't be hard to find someone willing to litigate. If the ropes were in a standard position but there was no warning about high-velocity balata missiles, there probably still will be litigators figuring they can win a suit or force a financial settlement.

In 2002 a teen girl was killed by an errant puck at an NHL game - while killed during the normal course of a game after being hit in the forehead by a deflected puck. The NHL had tributes for her, changed the standards of safety netting, and similar precautions - and (with the arena operators) settled for $1,2 million. That was basically a payment so they could retain the "good guys" label, which is worth more than they paid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brittanie_Cecil

At a Patriots-Jets game in '79 there was a halftime display of radio controlled airplanes - one of planes escaped control and flew into the stands, concussing one spectator and nearly decapitating another. One observer at the scene described the victim as looking "like he had been attacked by an ax". Interestingly enough, the model aircraft was shaped like a lawnmower with a red reel and silver handle. This incident likely provided the seed for "Lawnmower Man" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104692/.

The lawsuit that followed is reputed to have been $10 million - that's in 1981 dollars. That's long ago enough for there not to be a whole lot of detail available online.

Anyway - this spectator will get paid if she plays her cards right, and that includes not stirring the pot too much right now. She is following the wrong path, considering she is on the current front page of Yahoo.

1716e818bb0062391367314b0d6e5a74

But what does she know about fighting? She's French.

a-5.jpg

Reactions: Random_John
Her eye exploded according to the article.

Her. Eye. Freaking. Exploded!

that is sad, but that is standard assumption of risk imo....unless I were representing her, in which case, they were clearly negligent...but all kidding aside, it really is sad.

I'd like to see governmental regulations for sporting events of professional teams requiring insurance to at the very least cover any healthcare costs from someone being injured at your event along with some level of disability payout if a disability for life results.

Her eye exploded according to the article.

Her. Eye. Freaking. Exploded!

Gross, but irrelevant - blinded is blinded. A golf ball hit her head and she's now permanently blind in one eye. Splatter pattern does not matter. If there is disgusting footage of the red cloud she may leverage a bigger payout, but that would be a heck of a coincidence.

Tournament organizers may not be "actually" liable one little bit - but it is in their best financial interest to maintain the honor and reputation of their historic event and pay the frog to smile and not trash-talk.

Reactions: Random_John
Gross, but irrelevant - blinded is blinded. A golf ball hit her head and she's now permanently blind in one eye. Splatter pattern does not matter. If there is disgusting footage of the red cloud she may leverage a bigger payout, but that would be a heck of a coincidence.

Tournament organizers may not be "actually" liable one little bit - but it is in their best financial interest to maintain the honor and reputation of their historic event and pay the frog to smile and not trash-talk.

I know it is irrelevant but it is not the kind of injury one often hears about.

I am sure she will get paid in an out of court settlement and that will be that minus the whole blinded in one eye thing which sucks no matter how much she gets paid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT