ADVERTISEMENT

Salzburg hotel recommendation needed

Lemon Thrower

Seminole Insider
Aug 28, 2001
We are going to be in Salzburg at the end of August for the music festival.

We're driving over from Vienna, and want to stay 1-2 nights, then driving on through to Slovenia, Croatia, and flying home from Budapest. Will likely stop at Lake Bled between Salzburg and Lubjiana.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Salzburg? Any other Salzburg must sees?

We're driving over from Vienna, and want to stay 1-2 nights, then driving on through to Slovenia, Croatia, and flying home from Budapest. Will likely stop at Lake Bled between Salzburg and Lubjiana.

This sounds like a commercial for Viking River Cruises! Sounds like a great trip. That's all I have to add...

This sounds like a commercial for Viking River Cruises! Sounds like a great trip. That's all I have to add...

mostly driving through the Alps.

here's a pic of Lake Bled. if you look real close, there is an island in the middle of the lake with a church on it.

IX8A7356.jpg

Don't see any island.

When I was there many years ago, was swimming in the hotel pool. Saw a smokin' hot chick in a red bikini swim over to the ladder that was right in front of me; she, and the scene in general, looked a lot like the Fast Times pool scene with Phoebe Cates. Right up until the point that she grabbed the ladder, exposing the fact that her armpits were far hairier than mine.

Have you been to the area before? Eagles Nest is certainly a must. The salt mines are touristy but cool.

I found Salzburg to be rather boring, along with Vienna. Nothing I did sticks out enough to be considered a good recommendation. Budapest on the other hand, is a great city.

1. Don't see any island.

When I was there many years ago, was swimming in the hotel pool. Saw a smokin' hot chick in a red bikini swim over to the ladder that was right in front of me; she, and the scene in general, looked a lot like the Fast Times pool scene with Phoebe Cates. Right up until the point that she grabbed the ladder, exposing the fact that her armpits were far hairier than mine.

Have you been to the area before? Eagles Nest is certainly a must. The salt mines are touristy but cool.

We're coming from the other direction, and have to go back in that direction, so eagles nest while not far is just too far. we are going to do a salt mine between Vienna and Salzburg, in Halstatt, which is the one Rick Steeves recommends fwiw. i'm claustraphobic so i'm going to skip the mine, but i will check out the town and the lake.
Hallstatt_300.jpg

If you want to splurge go with the Hotel Sacher. Another good hotel is the Wolf Dietritch. Quick walk from there to the old town.

If you want to splurge go with the Hotel Sacher. Another good hotel is the Wolf Dietritch. Quick walk from there to the old town.

Sacher only has suites for 2 grand a night for our dates, but the Wolf Dietrich looks good, thanks

Went to Bled for the day a few years ago, but it rained most of the time. That put a damper on things for sure.

While in Salzburg be sure to hit up the Augustiner. Great beer, and a must stop every time we're in Salzburg.
Halstatt is also a neat little city. However, we did not do the salt mine tour.

Stayed at Weisse Taube in September. Nothing swanky but it was nice and it was clean.

Eagles Nest is a must. Get a guide. He can't take you into Eagles Nest but he helped us get to the front of the line and then he took us to Hitler's (And Goring and Bormann) bunkers

I agree with ZZ www.augustinerbier.at is a must. We stayed in Old town at the Hotel Wolf, good location, ok rooms but wanted a big room for the family.
A concert in the fortress was pretty cool, you can go all out tourist with a Sound of Music tour. Lots of other concerts around, especially during the festival. Mozart's birthplace was not the best but killed some time.
Shopping on the Getreidegasse in old town was fun, especially Spirits Sporer . We spent a few days there but did some tours around like Eagles Nest (which I agree is a pretty cool trip).

It is a town I like a lot.

mostly driving through the Alps.

here's a pic of Lake Bled. if you look real close, there is an island in the middle of the lake with a church on it.

IX8A7356.jpg

I think this is a gay test of some sort. If you are a dude and see a church on a tiny island you are 100% gay. If you see a lake you are bisexual.

Reactions: pauldNole
We spent a day in Salzburg about 4 or 5 years ago after doing a ski vacay at Kitzbuhel. I don't believe we spent the night there{or did we?} Anyway, I recommend the Hohensalzburg Fortress overlooking the city, take the funicular up, very cool. Also below the fortress, there are catacombs and a very cool cemetery, I believe there is a monument to the WW2 German soldiers, which is pretty unusual. Main reason we went there was because I'm a Mozart fan and he was born there, so lots of things to see related to him. Many homes and shops are built into the side of the mountain so you can sample the troglodyte lifestyle.

Reactions: CJRN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT