ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Update: What we're hearing on scheduling that Auburn game

Ben_Jones

Contributor
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Saturday evening update:

So, maybe it's not time yet to start making reservations for Jacksonville ... at least not yet anyway.

After talking with a couple more sources today, I wanted to clarify where things stand with FSU scheduling that non-conference game against Auburn. We were originally told that FSU and Auburn were far into talks about playing in Jacksonville in 2018. The game would be a large moneymaker for both schools and would be a huge get for the city of Jacksonville. There doesn't seem to be any debate at FSU whether the game should/will happen, but the question is when.

While 2018 was the year we were told, FSU obviously is already playing at Notre Dame that year. And with the annual season finale against Florida, that would be a pretty salty non-conference schedule. So we're told there is some internal debate about the year. It's possible that the game could be scheduled instead for 2019, but FSU would prefer not to play neutral-site, non-conference games in odd-numbered years because the 'Noles already have road games against Florida in those years. So as it stands right now, it doesn't sound like anything is decided. There are pluses and minuses to both scenarios. At the end of the day, I think they end up making the game happen. But I'm not as sure on the year.

Sorry we don't have anything more concrete. This is the challenge of reporting on future scheduling before deals are signed. There are a number of hurdles that have to be crossed before a contract is finalized ... and a lot of voices at each school that have a say. When we know more, we'll let you know.

-------------------------------------------

Friday afternoon update:

Ira asked me to pass the following along: You've probably seen a few reports today that FSU and Auburn are in talks to play a game at EverBank Field in Jacksonville in 2018. We've heard the same thing, and it sounds like it's going to happen.

We've heard part of the appeal is that FSU president John Thrasher is from the area, and likes the idea of playing a game in Jacksonville.

FSU is already slated to open the 2016 season against Ole Miss in Orlando.

This post was edited on 3/20 4:23 PM by Ben_Jones

This post was edited on 3/21 8:36 PM by IraSchoffel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News