ADVERTISEMENT

Sipping Tequila

Anyone else doing this?

I'm a big fan, obviously quality matters. My current favorite is Clase Azul with DJ 1942 a close second.

What should I try next?

It’s quite cheap and a blanco, but my new favorite tequila is Altos Olmeca.

ci-olmeca-altos-tequila-plata-70c9acf5ca6e3bd8.jpeg

It’s cheap enough that I now use it as my mixing tequila but is good enough it stands on its own.

I had some friends over about a month or so ago for a game and we did a “tasting” of shots of tequila and I presented the Altos Olmeca, Herradora Anejo, Tres Generaciones Anejo, Espolon Extra Anejo 6 yo, and Milagro Select Reposado. The Altos Olmeca won by a large margin.

Reactions: BelemNole
Anyone else doing this?

I'm a big fan, obviously quality matters. My current favorite is Clase Azul with DJ 1942 a close second.

What should I try next?

And yes all of the one I mentioned are “mainstream” producers but that’s because that’s all you will find in Tally. Obscure craft tequilas don’t make it to Florida other than maybe the big city giant warehouse liquor stores 94 some niche store.

And yes all of the one I mentioned are “mainstream” producers but that’s because that’s all you will find in Tally. Obscure craft tequilas don’t make it to Florida other than maybe the big city giant warehouse liquor stores 94 some niche store.
I buy Clase Azul online... It's excellent but at $100 a bottle it can add up.

I bought Altos the other day on your recommendation and I do really like it for budget shots. Haven't tried sipping it since I prefer sipping reposado and anejo.

Tres Gen is garbage I got the anejo for my birthday and can't drink it.

I also have a bottle of Milagro select, it's pretty good but not great.

Another interesting brand is Maestro, I hate the reposado and really like the anejo...

Just picked up Partida reposado and like it. It's on par with Milagro select.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
You should sip Thomson Whisky. It's from New Zealand.

I assume you’re being facetious, but I picked three bottles of this up last time I was in NZ and it IS amazing. I’m still holding on to one. It’s aged six years in American oak bourbon barrels and then 10 more years in French oak wine barrels.

https://www.thenzwhisky.com/project/dunedin-distillery-doublewood/

Most New Zealand whiskies are not peated though unlike the one you cited. The South Island which is where most of the whisky is produced was settled by both Scots AND Irish so the New Zealand product is actually somewhere midway between Scotch Whisky and Irish Whiskey.

Last edited:
I tend to stick with mezcals, enjoy a nice smoky finish.

Which ones do you like? I’d be interested in trying some Mezcals now that they’ve basically been separated as a liquor into “other” agave with smoke versus blue agave without for tequilas as opposed to what they were before which was just bargain ripoff tequilas. But Tally doesn’t carry many mezcals at any of the liquor stores, maybe a handful if even that.

Del Maguey Vida is a good starter, I still drink it at restaurants from time to time. The whole family of mezcals is worth working through to see what you like.
Rey Campero Espadin is good, also at a decent pricepoint.
Montelobos Joven
El Senorio Reposado

Del Maguey Vida is a good starter, I still drink it at restaurants from time to time. The whole family of mezcals is worth working through to see what you like.
Montelobos Joven
El Senorio Reposado
Interesting I've never intentionally tried Mezcal but will now.

Interesting I've never intentionally tried Mezcal but will now.

Until maybe the last ten years or so they were all just garbage wannabe tequilas. But now that tequila is defined as coming from only certain regions with only blue agave plants and only following certain processes in the fermenting and distilling that has created an opportunity for crafters to get unique with mezcals. Use a variety of agave plants to impart different flavors, change up the distilling process to allow more smoke, etc... So now it’s almost like Scotch versus Bourbon instead of what it was which was Scotch and %*%*y ripoff of Scotch.

I’ve been wanting to get into craft mezcals for awhile but Tally is NOT the place to do it. As I mentioned all of the liquor stores have at best a handful of options.

It’s quite cheap and a blanco, but my new favorite tequila is Altos Olmeca.

ci-olmeca-altos-tequila-plata-70c9acf5ca6e3bd8.jpeg

It’s cheap enough that I now use it as my mixing tequila but is good enough it stands on its own.

I had some friends over about a month or so ago for a game and we did a “tasting” of shots of tequila and I presented the Altos Olmeca, Herradora Anejo, Tres Generaciones Anejo, Espolon Extra Anejo 6 yo, and Milagro Select Reposado. The Altos Olmeca won by a large margin.

Holy cow, how many bottles of tequila do you keep in the house! I think I have 2 bottles of mixing quality.

Will look into Altos Olmeca though, I do like tequila from time to time.

From a bang for the buck perspective, you cannot beat Camarena tequila for the price. It’s not necessarily a sipping tequila, but if you’re making cocktails, it’s tough to beat.

Holy cow, how many bottles of tequila do you keep in the house! I think I have 2 bottles of mixing quality.

Will look into Altos Olmeca though, I do like tequila from time to time.

I keep a full bar. I’ve got two shelving units I picked up at Kirkland full in the dining room. Top three shelves of each are three deep with assundried liquor bottles. The bottom two are wine bottle overflow for fruit wines and screwcap wines.

I don't keep nearly as many tequilas as I do whiskies. I would guess without looking through that I always have a big bottle of Sauza gold on hand for parties/big bulk margaritas plus a bottle of platinum Cabo Wabo and Tres Generaciones anejo for my own cocktails and margaritas (I do two parts tequila, one part lime juice, 3/4 part Grand Marnier, 1/4 part St Germaine and 1/2 part Luxardo). Plus I keep about 6-8 sipping tequilas around.

As far as whiskies go, I've got at least a dozen single malt Scotches, exactly a dozen blended Scotches (at least Black, Double Black, Green, Swing, Spice Road, Royal Route, John 21 and an unopened bottle of Red from 1972 I picked up at an estate sale in the Johnnie Walker Line; Black and Snow versions of Famous Grouse, Dewars and Cabinet’s finest (no longer made)), 4 Japanese whiskies, probably 10-12 Bourbons, 5 Tennessee Whiskies (Chattanooga 1816 Caskstrength, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniels single barrel, Dickel superior #12 and Dickel Tabasco barrel aged), 4 ryes, four Irish (Powers, Redbreast 12, Redbreast 21, and Bushmill Black Bush), 8-10 Canadian and probably around a dozen moonshines/clear whiskies.

If you're wondering why I have such a big collection, it's because honestly I don't drink that much usually just a couple of drinks Fri and Sat night and that's it unless I'm doing something like tonight (beer pairing/tasting for Lake Tribe at the Wakulla Lodge) and because when I travel I usually stop at wineries/distilleries/breweries/cideries/etc and pick up a couple of bottles. Plus I enjoy doing my own tastings either just with my wife or with friends.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I have over 50 different bottles of Tequila in my house. Every time i go out west i bring back 2 or 3 bottles of different ones. If you want some great tequila to sip get your favorite tequila and fill a big jar and stack pineapple in it. Leave it for a couple of weeks in fridge then strain it back in bottles and leave in fridge. It makes tequila smooth

I have over 50 different bottles of Tequila in my house. Every time i go out west i bring back 2 or 3 bottles of different ones. If you want some great tequila to sip get your favorite tequila and fill a big jar and stack pineapple in it. Leave it for a couple of weeks in fridge then strain it back in bottles and leave in fridge. It makes tequila smooth

Great tip! And one I will follow.

Montelobos Joven
El Senorio Reposado
So I bought a bottle of the Montelobos and it's pretty interesting. It reminds me of Lagavulin Scotch with a strong iodine flavor, but much sweeter. I can't say I prefer it over a nice sipping tequila but maybe my palette will shift that way if I keep drinking it?

A few years ago we did a cruise stop at Costa Maya, and ate at a little restaurant in town where the owner served mezcal that he made on site. It was phenomenal, among the best booze I have ever tasted.

As for at home, for sipping I like Herradura Anejo. For mixing or pounding shots, I like El Jimador. It is made by Herradura - it is their budget label. Price similar to Cuervo, but far superior in quality.

I love the smoky flavor of a good mezcal, but most places the only thing available is Monte Alban - which is not so good.

So I bought a bottle of the Montelobos and it's pretty interesting. It reminds me of Lagavulin Scotch with a strong iodine flavor, but much sweeter. I can't say I prefer it over a nice sipping tequila but maybe my palette will shift that way if I keep drinking it?
I bought the Montelobos for exactly the reason that it reminded me of Lagavulin. I didn't pick up the iodine flavor.

You drinking it neat or on the rocks? I prefer room temp + neat.

I bought the Montelobos for exactly the reason that it reminded me of Lagavulin. I didn't pick up the iodine flavor.

You drinking it neat or on the rocks? I prefer room temp + neat.
Always neat... I'll try another glass of it soon. It grew on me as I was sipping it, but certainly can't say I prefer it over a great tequila yet.

I actually like it better than Lagavulin, which is obviously apples to oranges, but Lagavulin is way too overpowering for me.

Can one of y’all explain what the attraction is with tequila? Serious question.

Just the smell of it makes me nauseated, and it seems that it’s the shot of choice as well. I have to adamantly decline when someone wants to buy me one.

So, please inform me, but not in a verbose tribe kind of way. Thanks.

Can one of y’all explain what the attraction is with tequila? Serious question.

Just the smell of it makes me nauseated, and it seems that it’s the shot of choice as well. I have to adamantly decline when someone wants to buy me one.

So, please inform me, but not in a verbose tribe kind of way. Thanks.
There are shot tequilas (cuervo, patron, whatever comes in plastic bottles) and then sipping tequilas (scroll up in this thread).

They tend to have different flavor profiles (and price points). Like a lot of liquors it can be an acquired taste but once you get into some nice sipping tequilas, they can be a nice drink to have with dinner or wind down with.

There are shot tequilas (cuervo, patron, whatever comes in plastic bottles) and then sipping tequilas (scroll up in this thread).

They tend to have different flavor profiles (and price points). Like a lot of liquors it can be an acquired taste but once you get into some nice sipping tequilas, they can be a nice drink to have with dinner or wind down with.

I get that. The only liquor I’ll sip is vodka. I’m not a fan of scotch or bourbon, so maybe that’s why I don’t like tequila either—-my palette sucks I guess.

I get that. The only liquor I’ll sip is vodka. I’m not a fan of scotch or bourbon, so maybe that’s why I don’t like tequila either—-my palette sucks I guess.
No liquor is for everyone. Perhaps try mezcal as it brings a bit of a different flavor, then ease yourself back into some nice tequilas.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Everyone has different taste, the thought of sipping vodka makes me feel sick but I can down good Tequila like water. I don't even use salt or lime for Tequila shots because I like to taste it.

Thoughts on the best Tequila for margaritas? Nothing too expensive like a sipper. Used to use Milagro, but have been using Cazadores on the rec from an ABC manager for the last few yrs. Pretty good in a traditional 321 margarita and dont feel guilty about throwing it in a mixed drink.

Thoughts on the best Tequila for margaritas? Nothing too expensive like a sipper. Used to use Milagro, but have been using Cazadores on the rec from an ABC manager for the last few yrs. Pretty good in a traditional 321 margarita and dont feel guilty about throwing it in a mixed drink.
I'm not a big mixer but I'd imagine Altos silver would be hard to beat under $25.

I'm not a big mixer but I'd imagine Altos silver would be hard to beat under $25.

I agree completely. For $20 you will not find a better blanco tequila and it’s not only good enough to mix and shoot with but is even good enough I consider it a sipper as well.

In the gold/reposado side, I prefer a tequila from the same distillery but it’s a $10 upgrade over Altos, the Tezon. Unlike other cheaper golds, it is not made by machine extracting (pulping the entire agave) the liquid and machine roasting at high temperatures and then finished with caramel to give it the gold color after being stored in stainless steel or cement storage tanks. The juice is extracted in the old Mexican way by using stone presses which like good virgin olive oil processes only extract the first run/good juice, they slow roast in clay pits for three days and the color is natural from storing in wood barrels which leeches in natural vanillins and other flavors from the wood.

Now the Tezon is reserved for cocktails for the wife and me plus friends or people I’m trying to impress. If I’m just mixing up a giant batch of margaritas for Randos, I use Sauza gold. It’s everything I said Tezon wasn’t, BUT...it’s smooth enough it works when masked with sugar and lime juice in a margarita. Sauza is NOT a sipper unlike Tezon and Altos and it’s probably not even a shooter unless you’re a desperate college student.

I was given a Cenote Tequila a couple months ago. It was hard to find, but now I have a blanco and a Anejo. The Anejo is in a pretty nice designer bottle with the bloom as a kind of stopper with unique seals, etc.

I have not tried either yet, but I am sure I am gonna break the seals soon.

The Cenote I sampled was the smoothest I have ever tried.

Oh, and thanks for the info in this thread.

Good stuff.

shopping
shopping

Gonna get a bottle of this........................

shopping

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT