ADVERTISEMENT

Stock guys, need help

Bowden9399

Star Player
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I just found some old stock certificates my dad had. Is there a way to find the current value of these shares that add in dividends and current price? These were bought in early 80's. The companies are still in business.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

How many shares is each certificate? If it is just one, look up the price on the internet. Dividends should have been paid out already and may be sitting in an account already. Your broker or the company investor relations may be able to help.

call the transfer agent for the company. Give them the CUSIP and the certificate number. They should be able to answer your questions.

Originally posted by More Kirk Less Spock:
call the transfer agent for the company. Give them the CUSIP and the certificate number. They should be able to answer your questions.
This. If the company is still in business you can look up who the transfer agent is online (Computershare is a big one). If you want to, you can call a broker/wirehouse/whoever you deal with for wealth management and sign whats called a "stock power" to put the position into street name (essentially holding shares electronically through a broker). Another thing that I've seen in situations like this,the position could have been escheated to the state unclaimed properties office if the shareholder was unable to be contacted for some time. I'd start with the transfer agent see what they can tell you.

This post was edited on 3/1 12:59 AM by noleman1010

Call investor relations of the companies to get started. If you want to see split info., you can look up the historical pricing info on yahoo. Just choose "dividend only". The dividends that have been paid have either been spent by your father (or someone who gets/got) his mail, or have been escheated to the state he lived in.

Originally posted by Bowden9399:
Thanks for the info

25 shares of mead 1983
10 coke 1985
10 apple. 1985
20 Boeing 1988

Umm, you've got quite a bit of money there.

This post was edited on 3/1 2:00 PM by TexasGooner

Originally posted by Bowden9399:
Thanks for the info

25 shares of mead 1983
10 coke 1985
10 apple. 1985
20 Boeing 1988

Do you know when in 1985 those Apple shares were purchased? The stock bottomed out at around $2 when Jobs left.

I just did the math. You have 4,000,000 shares of Apple now, based on splits. Congrats. You're a rich m'er f'er!

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
I just did the math. You have 4,000,000 shares of Apple now, based on splits. Congrats. You're a rich m'er f'er!
I've got it at 560 shares based on splits, which is about $72,000, but maybe I'm wrong? How did you get to 4,000,000 shares? That would be over $500 million, if you're right.

Originally posted by TexasGooner:

I've got it at 560 shares based on splits, which is about $72,000, but maybe I'm wrong? How did you get to 4,000,000 shares? That would be over $500 million, if you're right.
Easy. I made it up.

And likely thousands of dollars more in unclaimed dividends.

Easy. I made it up.
You know, I was kinda thinking that, but didn't want to be rude.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by mnole03:

And likely thousands of dollars more in unclaimed dividends.
True.

if you are just going to sell it, be sure to use a discount broker. I recommend Scottrade so you can pop into a local office and deposit the certificates. Be sure to make copies of the front and back before you deposit them.

If I were you I'd deposit them. and wait to cash them until a republican is back in office.

Let us know when you figure it out how much loot you found.

Originally posted by FreeFlyNole:
If I were you I'd deposit them. and wait to cash them until a republican is back in office.

Let us know when you figure it out how much loot you found.
Agree, I mean its not like the stock market has been at record highs in the last 6 years
wink.r191677.gif
. So he has to pay alittle more if he sells in capital gains. It won't be changed that quickly if/when they take over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT