ADVERTISEMENT

Studies on effectiveness of mask wearing

lots of data being produced.
When I read an article like this it takes me very little time to discern if it is reputable or not. What you have posted is clearly propaganda. You post a study done by the CDC done in May of 2020. In what is attributed as the source in regards to mask use is actually a summary of a previous study that the CDC has discounted because of a small sample size and concern about the participants adherence to the studies protocols. It was not done by the CDC. The second one is exactly the same. The study in regards to masks was done in 2010. It is a summation of that study and it also discounts the conclusion drawn by the article because the studies were poorly designed. This is a propaganda piece. The studies were not done by the institutions highlighted in the article and these institutions are dubious of the studies.

Forget the article and read the studies. They all draw the similar conclusions.

The studies were not done by minor league organizations. Many of the are the gold standards of medical research.
You could not have read the studies. They actually almost without fail contradict the conclusions of the articles

Reactions: fsu1999champs
And if you were a scientist you know about things like settling velocities and surface area to volume ratios and its effect on evaporation rates.
There are 2 things...the donor and the recipient.
While virus containing aerosols generated by the donor by coughing or sneezing are larger in particle size than the virus itself there is a large particle size distribution that is generated. The larger aerosol particles will settle or impact on surfaces. In this case, hand washing, hand sanitizer and a recipients N95 mask would be effective. The liquid portion of the smaller particles will evaporate over time and the settling velocity of sub micron particles is measured in days. It is these particles that a recipients N95 mask will be ineffective against.
Those who claim N95 is the end all be all are ignorant or politically motivated.
As a stated before, I follow social distancing, washing hands frequently and a mask but if I had to rank them it would be: social distancing > washing hands frequently > mask wearing.

Okay. So as you said earlier and again here, the most effective trilogy you recommend is social distancing, washing hands frequently AND mask wearing.

Your opinion in a previous post.... “My opinion is that everything helps”.

Reactions: chumleynole
The original post was a list of the worlds most respected medical researcher, and the results of their studies, which are linked in every case. You can disagree, but it is science based and it is not an opinion piece.
Forget the article and read the studies. They all draw the similar conclusions.

The studies were not done by minor league organizations. Many of the are the gold standards of medical research.
If you read the studies you would know that the world class organizations did not do the studies. They are commenting on previous studies and the comments for the most part are critical of the studies and do not support the findings of the article you posted. This is classic misinformation and unfortunately those people who are predisposed to the conclusions of the article, are easily taken in.

It’s great that we’re all allowed to have opinions but it would also be great if people could figure out when to exercise them

I often wonder if people that post on this board like this poster can actually read, or for that matter can think for themselves. Because the link the OP posted listed numerous studies and articles from multiple sources like those crazy organizations named the CDC and the WHO. It literally listed each article and study with a link to the original source.

So if the devil himself posted an article with links to the original sources of each article. How is anything false? That tells me either this poster is just ignorant or has an agenda.
If you open the source material it is easy to determine that the publisher of the article is spreading misinformation. The article indicates that these world class organizations did the studies and they supported the conclusions drawn. This is not the case. The one that misleadingly references the CDC is actually an article by the CDC critiquing another study, not conducted by the CDC. The comment by the CDC is that the study is not significant because it was poorly done. In every case the source material did not support the conclusions of this article. This is classic misinformation and would lead me to conclude the opposite of the conclusions of the article. If the science that masks are ineffective is available, I would think the author would not have to fabricate the evidence, which is what has taken place in this article.

Reactions: FSULongM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT