ADVERTISEMENT

Sub woofer recs: updated

Dr. Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2002
For a home theater system. One we had died. It was a BW 10" powered subwoofer.

I checked rating for subwoofers and prices...they are all over the place. One the highest rated ones on Amazon is a Polk Audio...for $99. Worth trying that IMO and if its garbage, return it?
51JGYWW4N4L._SX425_.jpg

Ended up ordering a Klipsch...reasonable specs and price...we will see how it does. I wanted the 12" one but the wife said that 10" was enough.
R-100SW_Angle.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ericram
SVS, Definitive Technology Super Cube, Golden Ear Technologies.....would all be great choices to replace what you had. Most have a frequency response in the teens.

SVS, Definitive Technology Super Cube, Golden Ear Technologies.....would all be great choices to replace what you had. Most have a frequency response in the teens.
Just looked those up...those are really nice...$$$ too.

I’ve enjoyed the Polk speakers that I have had, but I am becoming much less picky regarding audio equipment as I get older. I still use Polk for my work and computer configurations. Yet, my current surround/sub entertainment set-up is Sony, which I chose because of the ease with which it interfaces with my PlayStation and Sony tv.

Reactions: Dr. Nole
Just looked those up...those are really nice...$$$ too.

Another one to think about is the RSL speedwoofer with a frequency range of 250 to 20hz.

Now for a great sub for less money look to Dayton Audio at Parts Express.

I have a powersound audio s3600i. I highly recommend it.

But, if that’s too much, there are many powersound audio and svs designs that I like a lot.

Reactions: KWNoles

I checked rating for subwoofers and prices...they are all over the place. One the highest rated ones on Amazon is a Polk Audio...for $99. Worth trying that IMO and if its garbage, return it?
51JGYWW4N4L._SX425_.jpg
I have 2 JL Audio subs in my YF Doc... I know, different application than you are looking for

Reactions: Dr. Nole

51JGYWW4N4L._SX425_.jpg

Ended up ordering a Klipsch...reasonable specs and price...we will see how it does. I wanted the 12" one but the wife said that 10" was enough.
R-100SW_Angle.jpg
You would have been good either way. I have a killer 12" powered Klipsch. My dog hates it when I turn it up to half way.

I have a 5.1 setup with Def Tech for my 5 & a Mirage Prestige S10 for my 1 .. love it. Got the Def Techs for 70% off before I left my last job. And the Mirage was a gift from a buddy upgrading his own system. Also came across a Marantz receiver (sr-6006) that was like $1300 retail that i got for $350 years ago.

Then a few years later I had a kid and don’t have time to sit and just enjoy the setup, at least for now. Maybe one of these days soon she’ll sit through a movie with me :)

Reactions: Banditking
I have a 5.1 setup with Def Tech for my 5 & a Mirage Prestige S10 for my 1 .. love it. Got the Def Techs for 70% off before I left my last job. And the Mirage was a gift from a buddy upgrading his own system. Also came across a Marantz receiver (sr-6006) that was like $1300 retail that i got for $350 years ago.

Then a few years later I had a kid and don’t have time to sit and just enjoy the setup, at least for now. Maybe one of these days soon she’ll sit through a movie with me :)

I'm just the opposite to a degree. I built mine for myself and everyone but me gets to enjoy it...but I am working on that.

Reactions: NebNoles
I have a powersound audio s3600i. I highly recommend it.

But, if that’s too much, there are many powersound audio and svs designs that I like a lot.

I would love to be obnoxious and get the PSA S7201, but that might push the wife into divorce....lol.

Reactions: Banditking
I would love to be obnoxious and get the PSA S7201, but that might push the wife into divorce....lol.

I thought about it. But, it’s too ugly even for me. Wife is very tolerant, but the size of the s3601 in our living room gave her pause once it arrived. She likes electronic music so I played Reaching Out by Bassnectar and the objections subsided.

I also have the s3000i in my home theater. The home theater is a smaller space than the living room. Pretty great subwoofer too.

I have a sonos playbar and sub, I love it.

My brother has a sonos playbar, sub and two play 1s. Sounds nice. I use sonos connect to control a bunch of my stuff. I do like the interface. Very user friendly.

Yes... Want 2 of those for my home theater.

I’ve been tempted to add another s3000i in my theater but it’s hard to justify. You can get another 6 dB or so of headroom and a more even frequency response across listening positions. But I think it’s a diminishing return in my setup.

In any case, I love music. In setting up a listening area, I’d think a bunch about the fronts. Also room correction! Homes are often terrible. A few approaches.

I have gikacoustics stuff in my theater.

If you want to totally nerd out you can measure the frequency response in your room and be fairly precise in your quest for a flat curve and decreased contribution of nulls. But, generally adding a few bass panels in corners and full frequency panels at first reflection points can make a dramatic improvement to the audio you get. Was a big upgrade for me when I did it. The panel choices can be fairly stylish too. They look cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT