ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning QB - FSU WINS....

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
When it comes to the BIG 3 (FSU, Miami and UF) you have three totally different fan bases. UF fan base if you ask them believes they have never lost a game in the history of their program. The Gators over a 100 years has won every game. If they have lost it is not really a loss because the refs cheated them or they make some other excuse up. Miami fan base is one that could lose to Middle Tennessee State one weekend and by monday they forget and believe that the following weekend they could beat Patrick Mahommes and the Chiefs. Ask them and they will convince you of this possibility. Then you have the FSU fan base....Oh you know who you are....They believe that once they lose a game that the Noles won't win another game the rest of the season. 0-12 and a loss to Charleston Southern. Coming into the game FSU fans did not believe they were beating Cal. 0-3 and about to be 0-4. While I am not the most optomistic person in the world, I don't believe FSU is going to lose every single game. Yesterday while very painful to watch the Noles beat Cal. They are not going 0-12 and up next is SMU. Can FSU win two in a row? We are about to find out.

More good news - FSU is actually going to land some good football players from the HS ranks. They landed Byron Louis from American Heritage. Louis is a big time get. FSU has now landed big time backs in back to back classes (Louis, Danzy, Davis). Go and land Kromah and you could argue FSU has the best backfield in 2025-26. You win with talent.

I have yet to go on a USC message board but I am sure they want Lincoln Riley fired. USC went toe to toe with Michigan and almost came out of the big house with a win. USC will probably win 9 games this year and land a nice class and be in the picture for a playoff. Their win vs. LSU looks good as long as the Tigers defense holds up....If your an LSU fan you have to ask wtf....Yes LSU the program with some of the best defenses has a terrible one once again in 2024. Brian Kelly would be on the hot seat this year if not for a top five class that puts them in the conversations for NC in the future.

Ohio State - They have officially taken over for Texas as the most overrated program in the country. They played a very bad Marshall team and while the final score was 49-14, Marshall moved the ball constantly on their defense for four quartes. Not until the second half did Ohio State finally pull away. Joe Klatt and the national media need to stop pumping these guys up until they actually win something. What I saw from Michigan yesterday is still good enough to beat the Buckeyes.

NOW.....For all us been waiting for: FSU WINS.....Here are my thoughts on each positional breakdown.

QB: DJ - After today, I will try and promise to you that I will stop beating the dead horse. When he came out of high school, I was never sold on DJ. Went on one message board and said that while DJ is a five star, I just don't see what the national scouts saw. He committed to Clemson and most felt that Clemson was going to keep winning because of his talent. I always go back to the first game I ever watched of DJ. Clemson played Wake and Clemson was up 28-0 at halftime. DJ came in and Clemson could not score. I was surprised at how bad DJ was and told my podcast partner Corey Long that Clemson was done as DJ is a major downgrade at QB. The DJ we have seen is the same one they saw that night against Clemson. He could not make simple plays. DJ is still the same QB. He was not good against Cal and honestly I am now concerned for the future of FSU football. Glenn and Kromenhoek must not be very good. I still have some faith in Kromenhoek but there are some doubts creeping in now. on Drive 3....FSU up 7-0 - DJ has to know....That drive you need at least 3. He throse a terrible pick. Throws outside and late....

RB: LT....He had a nice day running the ball. Less of Roydell (did not suit up) more of LT. I like what I saw from LT. He is a true FSU man. He could have easily left a long time ago for a starting job. When you need to break the glass and count on someone, LT comes through. 41 of 107 ---FSU broke 100 yards but that is not a good average. FSU needs to bump that up to 150-200 yards a game if they want to win more games. Kam Davis just needs more carries.

WR: JaKhi Douglas - Use his more. He like Tofaili, this kid makes plays. While the receiving corps does not have ELITE talent, I do believe the QB position is making these guys look bad. There was a Hykeem Williams sighting. FSU got him the ball on the third drive. He is someone that needs to be targeted more.

TE: On FSU first TD drive, Morlock finally caught a ball. He ended up dropping one later in the game. On Tofaili TD run to put FSU up 7-0, Brian Courtney missed a block. Luckily the miss did not cost FSU. He needs to get a body on a body on that play. Through 3 series, Morlock has two catches. He is very limited athletic wise but Morlock does get open. Morlock is a possession receiver but you need to have good hands to be that. Watching the game again _ Morlock and Courtney are just not good at blocking. This is a bigger issue then FSU offensive line. These guys are a major reason FSU run game has suffered.

OL: They played better. Was that Atkin being back or was Cal not that good up front. They need another solid performance next week against SMU. Like to see the grades - Think the run game was much better as was the protection. DJ had time to throw yesterday. He needs to get rid of the football quicker. Ferguson.....Oh Boy. This guy has just had some terrible timing with his penalties. TJ needs to be benched. 69....Dude stands out. He stands out as well for his terible play on the field.

Final Thoughts Offense: Unless DJ is benched this offense is going to go down as the worst one in FSU history. I feel the only option at this point is bench DJ. If he does not get benched it means that Glenn is terrible in practice. I would expect him to transfer at the end of the season at this point. Brock is only a freshman and is not going to play so I will hold judgement. I do believe the offense while not great still has some good options moving forward. LT, Danzy and Davis need more carries. What hurts these guys is FSU does not take a big enough lead in games to hand them the ball late in the game. FSU is forced to pass the ball...UGGGG...and with DJ as the QB that is not a good thing. If the OL plays like yesterday, FSU offense can get better. Hykeem, Douglas and Poitier need to be the main three on offense. I feel Landen Thomas needs to start to be a bigger part of the offense. I am sure he can block better then Morlock and Courtney. He sure as hell cant be worse catching it.

DE: Payton is finally playing to the level we expected from the start of the season.

DT: Joshua Farmer is playing at a top level. He is doing a much better job of getting off blocks. Farmer looks like an All-Conference type player. Had a sack on the first drive. Farmer made plays on drive 1, drive 2, drive 3....Farmer on the tackle. DT's are not supposed to make this many tackles.

LB: First play of the game on defense Lundy comes through. He gets outside and tackles Cal skill guy for only a 2 yard gain. Nichelson is getting better each game. I know some doubted him, Nichelson is going to be an All-ACC type player. He is probably one of the better athletes on FSU team. Lundy made a nice play on the second series. Nichelson is starting to stick his head in there. The linebackers are starting to stand up to blockers. The first two games they would just give up. Nichelson did give up a big pla in the passing game on a wheel route. The Coverage was not terrible. Nichelson as is most any linebacker is going to lose that battle most of the time. Riley also played well. FSU linebackers of Riley, Nichelson, Lundy, Cryer are playing well. I saw

S: Edwin Joseph - He is the reason why you have to recruit

CB: Kevin Knowles - Not a big fan but he has played well this year. Against Cal, Knowles played well again.

ST: Would really like to see FSU return game get better. They need some short fields and what way is better to get your offense hyped then the ST making a play. When was the last time FSU blocked a punt.

Final Thoughts Defense: I feel they have stopped the bleeding. Yes there are breakdowns on defense but if they played like this against BC and GT, FSU has at least one more win. They would have beaten GT with this type of performance. They are not great but the guys are now swarming around on defense and not getting caught out of position as much. They do give up some untimely breakdowns on third down. That must be fixed. FSU also needs to start getting turnovers. We hear about mission takeaway from practice every day. WHY....Why are there so few in games?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.