ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning QB - REBUILD

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
On Friday Night there was a point of the game where Duke HC Manny Diaz realized that his team was not going to lose. It was not when the final seconds came off the clock to end the game. It was not when FSU final drive finished. Manny realized half way through the first half that if his Duke team did not lose the turnover battle, did not lose the field position that his team would not lose. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT DUKE.....He knew FSU was finished. He coached like a coach who just had to get to the finish line. Run the ball, get first downs, eat up clock and storm the field. FSU had hit rock bottom.

FSU is in complete REBUILD MOLD. Now you can sit a get angry. You can go on about them needing to fire every coach on the staff including the HC. PUMP THE BREAKS. That is just not happening. I have mentioned on this site and on podcast for over 2 years now that the way college football is constructed is no longer sustainable. USC is 3-4. They are not there because Lincoln Riley can't coach. Heck App State and Troy State were both favored to win their conferences. One team is 2-4 and the other is 1-6. STOP....STOP looking at college football the same. What happens in 2024 does not mean 2025 will be the same. FSU fans should be pissed, they should be upset but STOP.....Stop saying the team is done, Norvell will never win and will be fired. WHY, because we are in a new era of college football. One were sustaining success from year to year, under the current system is OVER. FSU just is the first team to go from 13-0 to 1-6. They won't be the last. Next year it could be Miami. There are some teams which are probably immune (Ohio State, Georgia, Texas) but even Alabama has been hit by it. Bama fans think because Saban left this happened. NAH...Saban knew what I have known for a very long time. This way of college football is unsustainable.

So what happens next...MN continues to collect close to 10 million a year. He will sit down after the season and make wholesale changes to his staff. He will have to revamp the recruiting ways FSU does business. FSU will most likely have to turn over their roster again and next year will be a new year. The stink from this season will not carry over as it will not be the same team, coaches or staff. This is the world we live in.

FSU team....moving forward.

QB-After watching both Luke Kromenhoek and Brock Glenn, I realized that FSU does not have an elite QB on their roster. OH HOW DARE FISH...I know I am going to take heat from some because I said this. When I look and evaluate QB's they must have at least one ELITE TRAIT. They must have GREAT SIZE, or they must have a great arm, or they must be a great athlete, or they must have great accuracy or they must have great anticipation. Luke and Brock don't have any of these traits. NOW.....Can FSU win BIG or win at all with either one, YES.....But to do that you will need to have GREAT TALENT AROUND THEM. You have to have one or the other. I said it before the season DJ Lagway. That is what an ELITE QB looks like. Cam Ward that is an ELITE QB. I am a big fan of Avery Johnson. He runs in the 4.4 range. He has ELITE athletic ability. I personally would like to see FSU make a run at Avery. I spoke to someone that told me that Lagway is gone from UF. His contract has a clause in it that once Napier is fired, his contract is voided. This comes from someone I trust. He will most likely go to the highest bidder. FSU has a choice either outbid everyone or land Avery Johnson. FSU has to land a QB...Because I don't think FSU will have a great roster in 2025...I feel it will be good enough for FSU to get back to 8-9 wins.

RB-I like Kam Davis. He rushed for 63 yards on 14 carries. If gets 6 more carries, Kam goes over 100 yards. I believe if you have Kam matched up with a back who had some speed and quickness (Isaac Brown -68 Rushes, 564 yards, 4 touchdowns). You will have Thunder (Kam) Lightning (Brown). He is a freshman at Louisville and should be a priority. I still don't know why FSU did not recruit him. He played great against Saint Thomas in the state title game. It is not hard, don't make it hard. Davis is a ground and pound back. The fumble was not good but the entire team stinks and one play is not going to define this kid. He is one of the guys I expect to become a leader on the team and remember this type of season and won't allow it to happen again.

WR-Outside of QB there is not a position that was mishandled worse through the portal this past off-season. I have not gotten to OL yet...Patience grasshopper. FSU is not good at receiver. I am not going to blame all of that on the players. Watching Hykeem short arm a pass to not get hit was disgusting. Watching Jalen Brown not run after the DB who just picked off a pass was ENOUGH for me to say that he should be walked into MN office on Monday and asked to clean out his locker. EFFORT....Man, I have coached baseball and football and tell kids all the time...EFFORT is the one thing you control. Jalen who I liked coming out of HS, FAILED the EFFORT TEST. Not caring is not allowed in my book. BYE, BYE. I don't feel bad saying that now when you realize how much these kids make. I am going to give Hykeem a pass and see what happens next year. I will wait and give the other guys on the roster a pass because we don't know what is next. Let’s see what happens with this position on and off the field.

That being said....Jacorey Brooks - I think FSU took the wrong Bama receiver. The one who played as a freshman in the title game and performed well. 36 catches, 67- yards and 8 touchdowns. He is from Miami and went to Booker t. Instead you took a failed receiver Benson (Alabama). These are the decisions why FSU sits at 1-6.

Tight End- Morlock - He finally caught something. The fake punt worked and Morlock showed some ability. I still feel good about Amaree Williams and Landen Thomas. When we look at the REBUILD, those two are part of the solution.

Offensive Line - I really don't know what to say about the OL. They are not good. Why? This line has played terrible. For FSU to turn around the program in 2025 this is going to have to be priority number 1. FSU MUST fix this problem. I do believe that Early and Otto are part of solution. They are going trial by fire. If there is change at the OL spot, I want to see what happens with Armella. I still believe he is part of the solution. What happens at TACKLE is crucial. Lucas Simmons needs to live up to his potential.

Defensive Line - THE BEST DL IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL....The ESPN guys have said this over and over again. Who told them this because I don't believe that they have watched FSU play this year? This line is not good. They have some individuals who are good but as a unit they have been a big disappointment. The biggest issue is where is the FIX? You have the potential to lose Farmer who I feel should stay another year, Payton and Jackson. WHO - WHO replaces them. I don't think any of the three is getting drafted early or even in the middle of the draft.

Linebacker - For all the complaining about LB...Cryer can play. He will be an All-Conference player next season. I still like Nichelson. This unit can be redeemed in 2025.

Defensive Back - They actually played OK the other night against Duke. I am less concerned about DB because there are options here.

ST - Who replaces the K and P....These two losses may haunt FSU in 2025.

Final Thoughts - I wrote this team off after the Cal Game. They won but may as well not have. I never thought I would see a team at FSU go 2-10 but unless something crazy happens this team is going 2-10. This is REALITY. I am one of those that is a fighter. I feel FSU can fix this. Will they? We just don't know. Crying about it won't accomplish a thing. I will wait until the season ends, changes are made and how the roster is constructed before truly judging what FSU will be.

Around college football.....

Day, Sark, Day, Sark, Day, Sark...These two coaches have probably a combined 50 million dollar payroll to work with and both CANT WIN A BIG GAME. Money can buy you a lot - BUT IT DOES NOT GUARANTEE WINS. Just does not. It makes it easier to win. USC fans want Lincoln gone. STUPID...Winning is going to become harder and harder to do in college football. You will start to see teams with 3-4 losses. I watch Texas and that soft football crept in yesterday. Sark has now lost to Washington (Bowl Game-22), Washington (Regular Season-22), Washington (Playoffs-23) and now Georgia (Regular Season-24). I was never a fan of Texas hiring Sark. He failed out Washington, failed at USC and now runs Texas. He may win...eventually as I feel TALENT wins out. That being said there is something about him I don't like, I feel the same way about LANE who is the single most overrated coach in the country. Day may eventually win but he was given the Ohio State job when he did not deserve it.

Alabama - Fans think Deboer forgot how to coach...LOL. The moment Saban left it did not matter who took over. Milroe was still your QB. You still had issues along the OL and the team’s talent and depth was not the same. This is no shock. Bama is a shell of the team they have been. GUESS WHAT - THIS IS THE NEW WORLD OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL. I could see this coming. Bama will most likely lose again this year and not make the playoffs.

Curt Cignetti - I think the race is on. UF, Oklahoma, possibly even Michigan. Would Ohio State make a run if Day does not win and they move on from him. He is the hottest name in college football. 7-0 at IU. UF fans on their site...some question this hire. Some rather have LANE. Honestly - he should be the first and last call you make and offer him the job. The reason admins screw up so many times...they over think this. It is not hard. He is the best coach in college football this season. PERIOD/END OF STORY.

SMU- I am making a prediction now...SMU will be one of the two teams who plays in the ACC title game. I feel it will be against Miami.

Top 25

1-Oregon - (7-0) vs. Illinois - Big fan of Dan Lanning. Think he is the next great college football coach. Oregon will make the playoffs and be very difficult to beat. His teams are always prepared for the big games. He won the big game this year against Ohio State. They will make the playoffs.

2-Miami - (7-0) vs. FSU - I hear how their defense is no good. YEAH...SO. They have the best player in college football (CAM WARD) -only Travis Hunter can lay claim. Cam is unreal and Miami will have a shot to beat any team they face. Their defense is not very good in the secondary. Not Texas, Not Georgia...those are not the teams I feel that match up well against Miami. It is Oregon, SMU...teams that can score with them. Miami is going to score.

3-Penn State - (6-0) at Wisconsin - Penn State has a one game season in two weeks against Ohio State. Win that and they are in. They have a very good defense. Their offense still has major questions marks.

4-Georgia (6-1) Georgia has the two best wins (Clemson/Texas) on their resume. They have the best defense in college football. WTH. They play defense like they actually tackle in practice. (HMMMMMM). Kirby is the best defensive coach in the country. Georgia has a great defense. I still think their offense is a problem.

5-Texas (6-1) vs. Vandy - Texas got punched in the mouth yesterday and never responded. This is ALWAYS the biggest concern with Texas as a program. THEY ARE SOFT. Georgia was more physical. They are the most gifted team in college football. CAN THEY WIN A TOUGH GAME....FORGET A BIG GAME. They are the ultimate finesse team in sports.

6-Ohio State - (5-1) vs. Nebraska - They have two tough games left at Penn State and vs. Indiana. Yes they play Michigan but lose that and Day won't survive. Michigan is not good enough to beat Ohio State this year. They can’t afford to lose that game.

7-Notre Dame - (6-1) their toughest game left on the schedule is Army. I am dead serious. They are a tougher game then FSU, UVA and USC. How did ND lose to NIU. That is a bad loss and I could see a 3 loss Bama get in over a 1 loss ND. This is one year ND may wish they played in a conference.

8-Clemson - (6-1) BYE- I feel vs. Louisville, at VT, at Pitt or SC- Clemson will get another loss. They may even get two. I have never seen a team get so much media love like Clemson. I was not impressed with them against FSU. I have not been impressed with them all year.

9-BYU- (7-0) the year they had Zach Wilson, I felt that BYU could have played with most teams in college football. This version of BYU is very good. They are a UTAH this year.

10-LSU (6-1) vs Texas A&M- This is an elimination game vs. Texas A&M. Winner moves on, loser is out IMHO. I feel Kelly has the team rolling. They have a QB....That matters. The defense is getting better.

11-Iowa State - (7-0) the are on a crash course to play Kansas State in the season finale. Iowa State is a tough, hardnosed team. I don't feel they are the best team....BUT THEY KEEP WINNING.

12-IU- (7-0) they play Washington, at Michigan State and vs. Michigan before Ohio State. They could be 10-0 going into Ohio State. The world is coming to an end. Curt Cignetti has locked up coach of the year.

13-Kansas State (6-1) vs. Kansas - I feel their loss to BYU is a better one then Tennessee loss. I feel their loss is better than Texas A&M. Kansas State is a good football team.

14-Tennessee (6-1)vs. Kentucky- Tennessee probably loses one more game vs. Georgia. They will be 10-2. This team still has a ton of questions to answer. They won yesterday but it sure as hell was not pretty.

15-Texas A&M-(6-1) they lost to ND....They still have at South Carolina, LSU, vs. Texas. I see two more losses. They lose next week to LSU, I say their playoff chances are gone.

Best of the rest...

16-Alabama (5-2)
17-Boise State-(5-1)
18-Ole Miss (5-2)
19-SMU (6-1)
20-Pitt (6-0)
21-Illinois (6-1)
22-Army-(7-0)
23-Navy (6-0)
24-Colorado (5-2)
25-Liberty (6-0)

PLAYOFFS

1-Oregon (Big 10)
2-Miami (ACC)
3-Kansas State (Big 12)
4-Georgia (SEC)

5-Penn State (Big 10)
12-Liberty (G5)

6-Texas (SEC)
11-Tennessee (SEC)

7-Ohio State (Big 10)
10-SMU (ACC)

8-Notre Dame
9-LSU (SEC)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.