ADVERTISEMENT

Target's self check-out

billyfsu76

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Orlando, FL
There's a Wal-Mart approx. 1 mile from my house but I have had such bad experiences there that I drive the extra way to the Target. It's always been a great store but they recently put in "self check-out" registers and it has completely crippled the process of shopping there. Has anyone else had this happen at their Target? I don't go often and don't really go to any others so I have no idea if this store is just a test-run for the self check-out but it is not working. They have fewer registers manned by workers (even though there are literally 5 or 6 not being used) in an attempt I suppose to entice people to use the self check-out but it's slow, people don't know what they're doing, the scale doesn't recognize when you've purchased something legit, etc. It's a nightmare. My efficient little store now has a line 7 or 8 people deep waiting to check out every time I go.

Hate Target. French company that is now removing gender labels on children's clothing.

Hate Target. French company that is now removing gender labels on children's clothing.

Get fooled much, or believe everything you read on the Internet? The company is headquartered in Minnesota and has never been a French owned company.

As to the OP, I have yet to see a Target in my area with self-checkout. Maybe it is a test roll-out in certain stores to see what they need to improve on before a full corporate wide roll-out.

I love self checkouts. I've not seen a place where they added those and it didn't shorten my average checkout time.

If stores offered a discount to go through a self check-out lane there are "those" that might use it more often thusly freeing up the manned lanes for the likes of the OP.

I wish the Targets around me would put in self-checkouts. Would probably go there more often if they did.

Get fooled much, or believe everything you read on the Internet? The company is headquartered in Minnesota and has never been a French owned company.

As to the OP, I have yet to see a Target in my area with self-checkout. Maybe it is a test roll-out in certain stores to see what they need to improve on before a full corporate wide roll-out.

I absolutely believe all the interwebz has to tell me and I am fooled often thank you very much.

Reactions: billanole
Don't shop at Target, but around here, the self-checkout at grocery stores is much slower than the manned checkout. The scanner for whatever reason, processes items about half the speed as the scanner at the manned lanes.
Obviously not a huge deal if just getting a couple things.

Hate to see automation taking the place of a person.

Yes. I absolutely hate it.

nraT9tN.jpg

Reactions: NDallasRuss
My only real complaint with the Walmart self-checkout is in relation to items that require proof of age (beer, some medications, video games, BB/airsoft guns, etc.). With those things, it requires a store clerk to come over & key in approval. That's understandable, but the problem is that it requires that entry be made again for each different item, so if you have any significant amount of items it takes forever.

My only real complaint with the Walmart self-checkout is in relation to items that require proof of age (beer, some medications, video games, BB/airsoft guns, etc.). With those things, it requires a store clerk to come over & key in approval. That's understandable, but the problem is that it requires that entry be made again for each different item, so if you have any significant amount of items it takes forever.

You're buying beer, cold medications, video games and BB guns all in the same trip? Sounds like a PG version of Breaking Bad!

Self check-out can be a huge help. I've seen Publix remove a lot of their from stores, though. Ditto with some Walmarts.

Home Depot has it and uses it to perfection. They have two workers that basically float and handle 4 registers. They keep the self check-out moving well. Everyone there seems to understand that if you have a lot of stuff, go stand in the regular line. If you don't have much, use the self check-out line.

I think the effectiveness of the system is directly related to the population using it. If you're surrounded by a bunch of old people that don't know how to use a cell phone, by all means they should be avoiding self check-out and use the regular line.

I think the effectiveness of the system is directly related to the population using it. If you're surrounded by a bunch of old people that don't know how to use a cell phone, by all means they should be avoiding self check-out and use the regular line.

We're going to have to raise the minimum wage significantly to justify the capital investment in robots that will be cost efficient and still as capable as we expect.

Japan doesn't want to import the people, so they're trying to do it with robots. Will be interesting to watch.

07b0Gxk.jpg

Self check-out can be a huge help. I've seen Publix remove a lot of their from stores, though. Ditto with some Walmarts.

Home Depot has it and uses it to perfection. They have two workers that basically float and handle 4 registers. They keep the self check-out moving well. Everyone there seems to understand that if you have a lot of stuff, go stand in the regular line. If you don't have much, use the self check-out line.

Exactly. I have only 10 items in my handbasket, so I can check myself out and not wait behind someone with a full cart. What's the problem again?

With all that stuff just go to the regular line doofus...

Everyone there seems to understand that if you have a lot of stuff, go stand in the regular line. If you don't have much, use the self check-out line.

The old man from the Sea did not get the memo...

With all that stuff just go to the regular line doofus...

Well, at the Stupor-Walmart near me, they typically only have employees in 3 or 4 of the 30some regular lines. One of those is the "15 items or less" express lane, which inevitably has an idiot with her 4 kids (all under the age of 6), who thinks that means 15 items per person in her family. The other three lanes are usually taken up by 95 year olds who only have a handful of items, but it takes them a good 20 minutes to transfer those items from the cart to the cashier, then another 20 minutes to shuffle through their purse to find their checkbook.

So I go to one of the self-checkers with my 6 pack of brew, package of Sudafed, two airsoft guns (one for each kid), two sets of goggles, and two packs of airsoft BBs. Then the idiot StuporWalmart employee clicks in the code for my first item & hauls ass before I can tell her to just stay there because each of my 8 items will require the same.

It would be faster to just walk out with the stuff, get arrested & arrange bail.

I hate Stupor Walmart.

Reactions: dmm5157

it is pronounced tarshey and they are not owned by the French. They are owned by the Chinese through a series of false fronts and dummy accounts. Oh sure, they are a listed company, but we know whats really going on.
Conspiracy-theorist-tin-foil-hat.jpg

Reactions: BarryB1081
Don't shop at Target, but around here, the self-checkout at grocery stores is much slower than the manned checkout. The scanner for whatever reason, processes items about half the speed as the scanner at the manned lanes.
Obviously not a huge deal if just getting a couple things.

That's usually the weighing process causing the delay.

Honestly we should be past the whole scanning thing by now. It shouldn't be long until we go to a store, put whatever crap we have in the cart, and on the way out it knows what is in there. RFID tags/scales/etc can already manage this and if you have a smart phone on you it could pay as you walked out the door.

On a similar note, I don't eat at taco bell often but they now have an app now that allows you to order any time. when you get to the store it asks you how you want to pick it up (drive through or counter) and submits it and pays. You drive up, get your food, and that's that. One of the employees was complaining that the 'app is going to take my job' and I don't disagree. Every time I order with the app the food comes out proper. when I order from the drive through lane the 1970's speaker technology is useless and I can't understand them and vice versa.

There are certain jobs that should be automated and the store cashier and fast food service worker are perfect examples. They are crappy jobs. There is a high chance of miscommunication on the fast food side. There is really no communication needed on the wal mart / food store side. From a customer service standpoint I'd rather that employee be cleaning the store, parking lot, or providing customer service by answering questions, helping me find things, etc. What we should end up with is about the same number of employees but doing jobs that actually matter Vs. standing in one spot all day checking people out. Disney World has done this quietly years ago... ever go into one of their quick service food places and it is almost entirely automated at this point and it works great.

Honestly we should be past the whole scanning thing by now. It shouldn't be long until we go to a store, put whatever crap we have in the cart, and on the way out it knows what is in there. RFID tags/scales/etc can already manage this

It's not quite there yet, but they've been trying for over a decade. link

My local Costco recently got a new manager who rearranged the front end so that it's all checkout lines which are always fully staffed during peak periods. I went this past tax-free weekend. The lot was full. I spent maybe two minutes waiting in line.

That man deserves a Nobel Prize.

"Self check-out" is yet another way of shifting overhead to you, the (alleged) customer. Fewer employees means smaller payroll, fewer benefits, etc. But what's in this for me?? Despite the lower cost-of-goods-sold, you never see these places reducing their prices. And when these corporate behemoths fire their check-out personnel, you/me then get the privilege of propping up many of the displaced workers with government handouts.

Screw all of these big-box places. And for those of you who "like" the automation, be careful what you ask for.....you too could be eligible for, um, er, outplacement.

"Self check-out" is yet another way of shifting overhead to you, the (alleged) customer. Fewer employees means smaller payroll, fewer benefits, etc. But what's in this for me??

Lower prices than if you also paid for more employees to obtain the same goods. They're making these investments in capital goods because the government keeps raising the price of labor.

Despite the lower cost-of-goods-sold, you never see these places reducing their prices.

That's because the government generates debt which is the seed of monetary creation in our FRS.
If you see prices simply maintaining in the current inflationary environment you can thank either reduced demand, or cost cutting by the sellers.
The natural order is for prices to decrease as increases in productivity continually raise the supply of goods. We notice it most obviously in the field of electronics because the productivity growth is more rapid than the monetary creation.
There aren't a whole lot of productivity gains to be obtained in the making of candy bars after decades, and so they more steadily reflect inflation's effects.

And when these corporate behemoths fire their check-out personnel, you/me then get the privilege of propping up many of the displaced workers with government handouts.

It's ignorant to blame companies responding to consumer demand for the outcome of legislation that prices the lowest value workers out of legal employment.
CVS touts how quickly you can get in and out of their stores, with the obvious comparison being the wait times people have come to expect at stores like Walmart. Now compare the prices at those locations and tell me which company is actually providing you privilege of 'propping up' their workers.

Screw all of these big-box places. And for those of you who "like" the automation, be careful what you ask for.....you too could be eligible for, um, er, outplacement.

Oh, how I wish they hadn't invented the combine. Maybe we could ALL still be farmhands. Weren't things nicer when better than 90% of the country was employed on farms and didn't have labor available to create computers, websites, and various and sundry platforms for Luddites to raise their battle cry against the progress they take part in?

My job is in IT. My role is to automate things. I spent this morning writing a 4 page set of instructions for a staff member to follow every morning until I can get the process automated. No one benefits by wasting her time doing a series of clicks over and over. As soon as I can automate that she can do something more useful.

We should welcome every labor saving creation because the reality is they mean we have more time - for the creation of more goods and services, or for our own leisure.

I've done the farmhand bit. My beans are now in the shade.

My job is in IT. My role is to automate things. I spent this morning writing a 4 page set of instructions for a staff member to follow every morning until I can get the process automated. No one benefits by wasting her time doing a series of clicks over and over. As soon as I can automate that she can do something more useful.

Please report to H.R. We just found a guy in India who will do your job for less money, and we don't have to pay him any benefits. Thank you for all of your contributions to the company. Seriously. You were awesome, right up until the time we found a cheaper way to perform your functionary task. So now you must go. Hope you understand.

Please report to H.R. We just found a guy in India who will do your job for less money, and we don't have to pay him any benefits. Thank you for all of your contributions to the company. Seriously. You were awesome, right up until the time we found a cheaper way to perform your functionary task. So now you must go. Hope you understand.

I hope you understand I don't report to an H.R.
I report to customers.
I'm the guy who comes in and finds ways to help others better perform their 'functionary task'.
One can generate a living in the niche between corporations who can navigate the H1B system and the mom and pops who can't afford a create a full time position.
I'd rather help them meet their needs and be available as needed for support than just clock in somewhere to perform a 'functionary task'. If the job doesn't involve some critical thinking, let's get a robot on it ASAP!
Now put down the keyboard, pick up a scythe and tell us about the good old days...

I hope you understand I don't report to an H.R.
I report to customers.
I'm the guy who comes in and finds ways to help others better perform their 'functionary task'.
One can generate a living in the niche between corporations who can navigate the H1B system and the mom and pops who can't afford a create a full time position.
I'd rather help them meet their needs and be available as needed for support than just clock in somewhere to perform a 'functionary task'. If the job doesn't involve some critical thinking, let's get a robot on it ASAP!
Now put down the keyboard, pick up a scythe and tell us about the good old days...

Trust me, you are doomed. Something will soon be available that is faster, better or cheaper than you. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT