ADVERTISEMENT

Techies: Buying a Laptop

nynole1

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2006
Looking to get something that I can use as a primary computer at home for business, but also something thats portable. I havent bought one in about 5 years, where are the best places nowadays?

I saw an advertisement for a Lenovo in Costco that seemed pretty reasonable, what do you think?
http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Z70-La...|-1080p-|-2GB-Graphics.product.100214153.html

Open to suggestions on places to buy, looking for a good deal and to not spend more than $750.

The only thing I like about buying from Costco is the extended warranty (they had a 2nd year to all purchases) and 90 day return Window with no questions asked. So if you don't like it, or find something better or cheaper, you can return it.

As for the machines they carry, they don't seem to carry some of the better PC's. They have a lot of configurations, but they tend to skew towards HP and Lenovo. They do have some decent Asus and Acer setups, and they offer decent pricing on Surface tablets.
If you know what you want and are comfortable ordering online, that's the cheapest way to go but you're going to lose the ability to return in-store if you don't like it.

Personally am starting to look for a new machine and the Surface Book is a game changer. While you may not want to pony up for it, it's going to create a ripple effect of what other manufacturers are offering. Looks like Microsoft finally has a versatile, functional, powerful, and aesthetically pleasing option to compete with Apple.

When it comes to computers, I'm not a big fan of buying first-gen of something with a gimmicky hinge (like Dell Yoga, Surface Book or any of the laptop/tablet style flip options). They tend to need time to work out the kinks.

At 6.6lbs it's pushing the boundaries for portable. No way anylaptop made in 2015 should weight that much. Pass

Stay away from Dell is my only advice on laptops.

I have a question. I used to buy from Fry's or Tiger Direct. Anyone know if those are still the best for online deals? I need to buy a couple of low end desktops or shuttles for my kids.

I have a question. I used to buy from Fry's or Tiger Direct. Anyone know if those are still the best for online deals? I need to buy a couple of low end desktops or shuttles for my kids.

I was wondering the same thing about those sites, used to be my go to.

Desi, MS Surface Pro is amazing but very expensive. To get a similar rig to that Lenovo I posted, its nearly twice the price. Obviously its a much better machine but the cost is a little prohibitive.

What are you looking at?

I was wondering the same thing about those sites, used to be my go to.

Desi, MS Surface Pro is amazing but very expensive. To get a similar rig to that Lenovo I posted, its nearly twice the price. Obviously its a much better machine but the cost is a little prohibitive.

What are you looking at?

My hope is that once the Surface Book comes out, the Surface tablets will come down in price. I'm also hoping the competition starts to come down as well.

I'd rather have longer battery life than a thinner and lighter notebook. I also don't care about touch screen, would rather have a higher resolution screen.

I don't think I'l buy another HP product. I've had 3 in the past 10 years, last one is almost 6 years old but it's falling apart. Really have not decided what I want to do, since I have a brand new mobile CAD workstation for work (17" HP laptop) and I probably don't need a work horse computer system. Still on the fence and am in no rush.

I dont really need the touch screen either, not something that tops my list. I would like full res screen and good battery life, but also light. I know thats almost impossible but a happy medium would be nice.

I just dont see the surface dropping all that much. I think they have a real winning product on their hands and the name/hype are going to keep those numbers up. What competitor would you buy from?

I dont really need the touch screen either, not something that tops my list. I would like full res screen and good battery life, but also light. I know thats almost impossible but a happy medium would be nice.

I just dont see the surface dropping all that much. I think they have a real winning product on their hands and the name/hype are going to keep those numbers up. What competitor would you buy from?

All of the Surfaces are ridiculously overpriced for what it does. You're paying Apple or more price yet get none of the stability. There are 2in1s from Lenovo and Acer for a third the price with similar or better machinery.

Truthfully, if you're not planning on playing the MMORPGs and First person shooters that require massive machines that only a handful of heavy "gamers laptops" can even handle, I'd go with the Acer Aspire R11. That's what I'm getting my standard line employees. It runs off of Windows Ten, has a touchscreen that converts fully into a tablet without leaving pieces behind, is lightweight (about three pounds), and is very cheap $249 at Walmart. It has all the power you will need for ordinary social (ie iPad/surface/iPhone/android) games and most strategy and sim games. It will easily run any program you're using for work.

If you want to pay more for a slightly better product because you're afraid of being seen with a "Walmart computer", then the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3s are out and my wife loves her Yoga Pro 2. The new Yoga Pro 3 has a solid state memory (so much faster load times), better resolution screen (not just normal HD but "pixel less" like the new IPhones), and weighs even less only 2.5 lbs plus is even thinner when in tablet mode.

Basically the Acer Aspire R11 is what I'm getting my ordinary mental health counselors and therapists, the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro is what I'm getting the docs and for me.

Last edited:
So my daily laptop is a Surface Pro 3 i5 w/256GB solid state hard drive and 8GB ram. It has worked flawlessly since I got it and it is extremely fast. Being the tech geek I am, I always tend to have the latest and greatest so I'm looking at the Surface Pro 4. I worked with a Surface Book yesterday and the screen is amazing. From the reviews, battery life is excellent as well. If you get a chance, go play with one at Best Buy. Zero reason why it wouldn't work well with CAD as you can get one with 16GB ram.

Micro Center is another option. They usually have a lot options and manufacturers.

I have a Surface Pro 3 (i3) that I'm thinking was ~$800. I can't imagine every going back to a traditional laptop. I don't run many heavy programs (Matlab/Eclipse) and it runs flawlessly. I use OneNote for meetings it fits into what looks like a Padfolio. The rare occasion I need to use a laptop (work specific software) I cringe at how heavy it is. It doesn't feel or run like a tablet.

I have a Surface Pro 3 (i3) that I'm thinking was ~$800. I can't imagine every going back to a traditional laptop. I don't run many heavy programs (Matlab/Eclipse) and it runs flawlessly. I use OneNote for meetings it fits into what looks like a Padfolio. The rare occasion I need to use a laptop (work specific software) I cringe at how heavy it is. It doesn't feel or run like a tablet.

With the keyboard the Surface Pro 3 weighs the basically the same as the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro which I think is much better and cheaper plus the Yoga has a 13.5 inch screen as opposed to a 12 inch screen and a much better keyboard to boot as it's built in. The Asus is an extra pound 3.5 to 2.5 lbs, which sounds like a lot on paper being a pound heavier but I didn't really notice much difference.

Talked to one of my IT Systems Engineer candidates today and he had good things to say about both the Surface and the Yoga Pro. Cob, you looking to sell you old one? ;)

Reactions: dmm5157
Only thing to be careful about with the Yoga Pro 3 is that they use Intel Core M processors, so they aren't straight comparisons speed wise to a Surface Pro 3/4 with full wattage Intel CPUs. If you are doing any kind of video/photo processing, CAD work then I might steer clear of the Yoga Pro 3 and go for the new Yoga 900 as they use actual CPU's and not Core M garbage.

Another one to consider is the HP Spectre x360. VERY highly rated laptop with excellent build quality, and good pricing. Just saw a refurb Core i5, 256GB SSD, and 8GB ram for $750.

My first two laptops were Dell.
My last three laptops were Toshiba.

Toshiba>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dell.

With the keyboard the Surface Pro 3 weighs the basically the same as the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro which I think is much better and cheaper plus the Yoga has a 13.5 inch screen as opposed to a 12 inch screen and a much better keyboard to boot as it's built in. The Asus is an extra pound 3.5 to 2.5 lbs, which sounds like a lot on paper being a pound heavier but I didn't really notice much difference.

Where are you looking? I was curious about these and just did a quick google search and the Surface 3 price ranges from $700-$850 and Lenovo Yoga 3 are all over $940, with most being over $1,000.

I haven't looked at a laptop in a long time, but have been thinking about one and have seen issues with Word being a yearly subscription now. I'll need Word for work, do any come with it already installed so I don't have to pay the yearly fees?

KLD, where do you buy from?

I don't have any one place I routinely buy from. I typically look at www.slickdeals.net for laptop postings and see what vendors have the best deals. Typically, places like Adorama or Cowboom have the best deals on refurbs but their Customer Support leaves something to be desired (according to most). On windows PCs, no particular vendor has a value proposition besides price to make me loyal to them.

Microsoft is starting to get better in the support arena like Apple. The Microsoft Stores are very nice, and offer the best laptops running Windows along with some support. Nothing near the level of Applecare+ or the Apple Genius bar, but they are getting there. When I build PC's, I usually buy from Newegg.

Another highly regarded laptop to add to your search would be the Dell XPS 13. More pricey than $750, but I'm sure you could find one in that range on the Dell Outlet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bartdog
I don't have any one place I routinely buy from. I typically look at www.slickdeals.net for laptop postings and see what vendors have the best deals. Typically, places like Adorama or Cowboom have the best deals on refurbs but their Customer Support leaves something to be desired (according to most). On windows PCs, no particular vendor has a value proposition besides price to make me loyal to them.

Microsoft is starting to get better in the support arena like Apple. The Microsoft Stores are very nice, and offer the best laptops running Windows along with some support. Nothing near the level of Applecare+ or the Apple Genius bar, but they are getting there. When I build PC's, I usually buy from Newegg.

Another highly regarded laptop to add to your search would be the Dell XPS 13. More pricey than $750, but I'm sure you could find one in that range on the Dell Outlet.

I've had my eye on the Dell XPS as well. If the price were lower, I'd have gotten one a while ago.

Reactions: kld04g
Where are you looking? I was curious about these and just did a quick google search and the Surface 3 price ranges from $700-$850 and Lenovo Yoga 3 are all over $940, with most being over $1,000.

I haven't looked at a laptop in a long time, but have been thinking about one and have seen issues with Word being a yearly subscription now. I'll need Word for work, do any come with it already installed so I don't have to pay the yearly fees?

From off the top of my head I remembered the Surface being more so I think there's been a major a price drop in the new models as they were north of a thousand when I was looking and I bought my wife's yoga 2 pro when it was new and then top of the line at $699. So it looks like in the last year Microsoft prices dropped and Lenovo prices soared.

I'd still much rather have the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. It's got a ton of advantages plus remember you have to factor in another $150 or more to get a keyboard for the Surface that even somewhat matches Yoga and none of them have light up keys that I remember. You can get a %^*^ keyboard for $50 but it won't come close to the quality.

So it looks like now that I'm looking up current prices you can get the Yoga 3 Pro new for $929 and "refurbished" aka open box returned for $806 from legitimate vendors (I'm sure you can get stolen ones from eBay much cheaper looks like $725 buy it now for an "in box" unopened from a Pawn shop and $600 buy it now in excellent condition stolen without a box). And the Surface Pro 3 from Best Buy (cheapest legit vendor) for $650. So with the same quality keyboard we'll say $800-850.

But there's still a number of advantages, Surface at the $800-850 price range has only 64 gigs of harddrive space versus the 256 gig solid state hard drive on the Yoga 3 at the cheap price point. The Yoga 3 has a 13.3 inch screen with 3200x1800 resolution and 10 point multitouch capacitive screen versus the 12 inch 2160x1440 resolution 10 pt touch screen. The cheap $800-850 Surface Pro 3 has only 4 gigs of Ram versus 8 in the cheap Yoga 3 Pro. Plus having the backlit keyboard actually designed to match it and where it stays intact rather than loose is a huge benefit imo. Frankly, I'd go with the Yoga 3 Pro unless you're being cheap then go with the Asus I mentioned as it's incredibly cheap.

I've had my eye on the Dell XPS as well. If the price were lower, I'd have gotten one a while ago.
My current desktop is is XPS that is 5 years old. Still running strong. It was over powered and had every bell and whistle when purchased. That's the way to go if you need that kind of power.

Reactions: dmm5157
Talked to one of my IT Systems Engineer candidates today and he had good things to say about both the Surface and the Yoga Pro. Cob, you looking to sell you old one? ;)
Yes I am. It's on Craigslist now. Email me if you are serious. iambrianrowe at gmail dot com.

From off the top of my head I remembered the Surface being more so I think there's been a major a price drop in the new models as they were north of a thousand when I was looking and I bought my wife's yoga 2 pro when it was new and then top of the line at $699. So it looks like in the last year Microsoft prices dropped and Lenovo prices soared.

I'd still much rather have the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. It's got a ton of advantages plus remember you have to factor in another $150 or more to get a keyboard for the Surface that even somewhat matches Yoga and none of them have light up keys that I remember. You can get a %^*^ keyboard for $50 but it won't come close to the quality.

So it looks like now that I'm looking up current prices you can get the Yoga 3 Pro new for $929 and "refurbished" aka open box returned for $806 from legitimate vendors (I'm sure you can get stolen ones from eBay much cheaper looks like $725 buy it now for an "in box" unopened from a Pawn shop and $600 buy it now in excellent condition stolen without a box). And the Surface Pro 3 from Best Buy (cheapest legit vendor) for $650. So with the same quality keyboard we'll say $800-850.

But there's still a number of advantages, Surface at the $800-850 price range has only 64 gigs of harddrive space versus the 256 gig solid state hard drive on the Yoga 3 at the cheap price point. The Yoga 3 has a 13.3 inch screen with 3200x1800 resolution and 10 point multitouch capacitive screen versus the 12 inch 2160x1440 resolution 10 pt touch screen. The cheap $800-850 Surface Pro 3 has only 4 gigs of Ram versus 8 in the cheap Yoga 3 Pro. Plus having the backlit keyboard actually designed to match it and where it stays intact rather than loose is a huge benefit imo. Frankly, I'd go with the Yoga 3 Pro unless you're being cheap then go with the Asus I mentioned as it's incredibly cheap.

Ok so earlier in the year, I thought a lot like you related to this topic. As Desi will vouch, I purchased the Lenovo Yoga first. Thought I would love it. Since I'm always an early adopter, I bought the fastest one made. Turns out I hated it. Can't remember why specifically but I didn't. Maybe was the feel but I know I didn't care for it.

With that said, I've owned every almost tablet made since tablets first came out going back to the Motion Computing M1200, the various Gateways and other ones. Microsoft was never "both feet in" when it came to the tablet OS. All of that changed with the Surface Pro 3. To me, Windows 8.1 was great on the Surface. Now with 10, it's that much better. Battery life has never been an issue with this device either. Screen resolution is great. Is there better out there? Sure but this ain't no slouch.

The original Type Cover did NOT have backlit keys but the new one for the Surface Pro 3 as well as the one just released for the Surface Pro 4 are both backwards compatible and both have backlit keys. Mine does not.

I think it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't buy either without taking it for a test drive. The microsoft store has a no questions asked returned policy and I think Best Buy has a 15 day return policy as well. If you don't like it, take it back and get something else until you find something you like. For me, I'm upgrading to the Surface Pro 4 for now and probably getting my son the Surface Book for him to go off to college.

Reactions: Bartdog and dmm5157
Ok so earlier in the year, I thought a lot like you related to this topic. As Desi will vouch, I purchased the Lenovo Yoga first. Thought I would love it. Since I'm always an early adopter, I bought the fastest one made. Turns out I hated it. Can't remember why specifically but I didn't. Maybe was the feel but I know I didn't care for it.

With that said, I've owned every almost tablet made since tablets first came out going back to the Motion Computing M1200, the various Gateways and other ones. Microsoft was never "both feet in" when it came to the tablet OS. All of that changed with the Surface Pro 3. To me, Windows 8.1 was great on the Surface. Now with 10, it's that much better. Battery life has never been an issue with this device either. Screen resolution is great. Is there better out there? Sure but this ain't no slouch.

The original Type Cover did NOT have backlit keys but the new one for the Surface Pro 3 as well as the one just released for the Surface Pro 4 are both backwards compatible and both have backlit keys. Mine does not.

I think it comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't buy either without taking it for a test drive. The microsoft store has a no questions asked returned policy and I think Best Buy has a 15 day return policy as well. If you don't like it, take it back and get something else until you find something you like. For me, I'm upgrading to the Surface Pro 4 for now and probably getting my son the Surface Book for him to go off to college.

Cob, thanks for the reply. I want to try out the Surface Pro in the store and I am concerned that it is a little small and "less substantial" thank I would like. This will be my primary work machine and it doesnt feel right for that...am I wrong? If you were buying a laptop for work, what would you buy?

Cob, thanks for the reply. I want to try out the Surface Pro in the store and I am concerned that it is a little small and "less substantial" thank I would like. This will be my primary work machine and it doesnt feel right for that...am I wrong? If you were buying a laptop for work, what would you buy?

I use my SP3 almost exclusively for work (unless there is some network software I need) and it works perfectly for me. I don't think you are going to find the speed/processing of the machine to be lacking (unless you are running some heavy software) and the keyboard feels sturdy. I have a case (look like a padfolio) that I sit on my lap and the Suface sits up nicely and has an adjustable stand if you need different angles. Also for work, if you can spend a few weeks getting to know OneNote, it will change how you stay organized. For example-

I have a disposal well project I've been working on (for what feels like a decade) and I might get an email from a vendor and follow it up with a conference call. I can snip the email contents, annotate the email (with the pen or typing) during the call. I then save that as a page in my "disposal well file" (with a date). Three weeks later, when my boss asks me what the latest on the project is, I can pull up the notes on my Surface (or even my phone) and give him a quick update. If he/she uses OneNote, I could even just share the page with him/her. Or, when the vendor tries to change their story, I have the notes right in front of me instead of tracking down a pad/notebook from a month ago that I left at the house.

We are switching over to Surface Pro at work exclusively.

If you think you don't need touchscreen with the latest versions of windows you are wrong. They are built for touch capability and it's a patch to use a mouse.

The docking stations work well for home/work use, and on the go it's light and portable. I now carry a laptop, ipad, and phone. When I go to the Surface the ipad is getting ditched which means my total weight dragging around will be minimal vs what I have now.

They ARE overpriced. But to get a true all in one for Business/Home/personal use that has excellent support you gotta pay to play.

Reactions: Bartdog and CobNole

If you think you don't need touchscreen with the latest versions of windows you are wrong. They are built for touch capability and it's a patch to use a mouse.

The docking stations work well for home/work use, and on the go it's light and portable. I now carry a laptop, ipad, and phone. When I go to the Surface the ipad is getting ditched which means my total weight dragging around will be minimal vs what I have now.

They ARE overpriced. But to get a true all in one for Business/Home/personal use that has excellent support you gotta pay to play.

I will agree that Windows 10 blows when you don't have a touchscreen. My household has my wife's Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, iPhone 6 Plus and Kindle Fire HDX and I have an iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S and an old 20 inch HP laptop I mainly use as my word typing computer as its got a great keyboard and large screen but I seldom take it with me on travel as it is heavy and doesn't really fit in a plane seat. Anyways, I was one of those people a couple of months ago forced against their will by Microsoft to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It gave me no alternative to the upgrade (there may even be a class action suit as a result) so now my older (I think about 6 years or so) HP laptop is practically unusable. Simply using the touchpad will randomly cause the screen to shrink or grow because Windows 10 was designed for touch screens that I do not have, so I had to learn the controls necessary to manually reset the screen CONSTANTLY. As a result my wife has been skittish and hasn't updated her Yoga from Windows 8 to 10 because I've absolutely hated it even though I told her she should have no problem as it does have a touch screen.

And yes, I do need a new laptop myself, but I'm trying to hold off until April when I can write it off as a company expense with my new addiction facilities and will have decided precisely what electronics I'm going with for my own office in each of them.

Laptop + touch screen is a waste of efficiency. Great in tablet mode, but it's much more efficient to do things with mouse alone. Especially with larger screens. Can't imagine using touch on my 17" Mobile CAD station.

I am not a fan of how MS forced touch with Windows 8/10.

Our company is not upgrading to Windows 10 until absolutely necessary.

Running two separate OS interfaces is one thing that makes me reluctant to get a new personal laptop. We're still on Windows 7 on both our home laptops.

Yoga 3 Pro user here, and I'm a big fan. I looked a lot at the Surfaces, but could never get over the thought of using a kickstand and that flimsy keyboard on my lap. I would have liked to have the pen, but I'm very happy with the Y3Pro. The only regret is that I got it few months ago, and then they just released a newer version with the full Core chips and a larger battery. If I had it to do over, I'd get the newer one and be glad to spend another hundred or 200 bucks for the newer chip and battery, but the design and build are exactly what I would want and recommend.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Anyways, I was one of those people a couple of months ago forced against their will by Microsoft to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It gave me no alternative to the upgrade (there may even be a class action suit as a result) so now my older (I think about 6 years or so) HP laptop is practically unusable.

Says who? I work with Windows 7 machines every day and not one has been forced to 10. The school system here is still running 7 as well. You should've been given the choice to upgrade but I haven't seen a machine get forced. You also have the option to drop back to make that HP laptop work again.

Reactions: Bartdog
You need to try it out for a few days and not just in the store. My buddy runs Solidworks on his so he can do CAD stuff when he's traveling. Zero problems. I'm all about lighter and better battery and the Surface fits that.

Laptop + touch screen is a waste of efficiency. Great in tablet mode, but it's much more efficient to do things with mouse alone. Especially with larger screens. Can't imagine using touch on my 17" Mobile CAD station.

I am not a fan of how MS forced touch with Windows 8/10.

Our company is not upgrading to Windows 10 until absolutely necessary.

Running two separate OS interfaces is one thing that makes me reluctant to get a new personal laptop. We're still on Windows 7 on both our home laptops.
Upgraded wife's laptop to Win10 last night and Office 2016. It isn't a touch screen. It's a quad-core processor with 4GB ram and works great. All she needs is iTunes, Office and browser.

Upgraded wife's laptop to Win10 last night and Office 2016. It isn't a touch screen. It's a quad-core processor with 4GB ram and works great. All she needs is iTunes, Office and browser.

I'm definitely not going to upgrade the wife's laptop. She's able to get stuff done on her own right now. I don't want to have to become IT support for her with the new interface.

Says who? I work with Windows 7 machines every day and not one has been forced to 10. The school system here is still running 7 as well. You should've been given the choice to upgrade but I haven't seen a machine get forced. You also have the option to drop back to make that HP laptop work again.

Says me with first hand knowledge.

Also Microsoft admitted they "accidentally" forced thousands of users into 10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...t-forces-windows-10-onto-windows-7-windows-8/

Reactions: Bud Fox
Says me with first hand knowledge.

Also Microsoft admitted they "accidentally" forced thousands of users into 10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...t-forces-windows-10-onto-windows-7-windows-8/

Happened to me as well.

We have 2 perfectly fine 3-4 year old Dell laptops that my 10 year old kids use for school stuff, USB accessable items, MS Word and some basic computer games, wireless games & surfing, etc.

Well, I was away, and my wife clicked the upgrade icons on both computers and went through the upgrade process.

I get home, and both computers are basically useless now. The previous software/hardware apparently don't like Windows 10, or they can't run the new software, no idea what the issues are.

Internet slow, incredible freezing programs & lag galore.

The worst part is, this is irreversible.

This was poorly planned & thought out by Microsoft.

Granted, we were planning on getting them a couple of new laptops this Christmas, but the point of this is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the ones they have been using for 3 years.

Wife was HOT about it, and my kids had some games on there they can't play anymore.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT