ADVERTISEMENT

Techies: Buying a Laptop

Happened to me as well.

We have 2 perfectly fine 3-4 year old Dell laptops that my 10 year old kids use for school stuff, USB accessable items, MS Word and some basic computer games, wireless games & surfing, etc.

Well, I was away, and my wife clicked the upgrade icons on both computers and went through the upgrade process.

I get home, and both computers are basically useless now. The previous software/hardware apparently don't like Windows 10, or they can't run the new software, no idea what the issues are.

Internet slow, incredible freezing programs & lag galore.

The worst part is, this is irreversible.

This was poorly planned & thought out by Microsoft.

Granted, we were planning on getting them a couple of new laptops this Christmas, but the point of this is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the ones they have been using for 3 years.

Wife was HOT about it, and my kids had some games on there they can't play anymore.

I've upgrade 3 machines to windows 10, and then easily rolled them back to Windows 7. Did the forced update remove the option in the "Backup" settings control panel tab that allows you to roll back the installation within 30 days?

I've upgrade 3 machines to windows 10, and then easily rolled them back to Windows 7. Did the forced update remove the option in the "Backup" settings control panel tab that allows you to roll back the installation within 30 days?

For me yes.

My main concern right now is whether or not my year old laptop will be able to run Fallout 4.

I remember I quit playing an earlier version of Fallout (3?) because they graphics card in the PC I had the time was so old. The 'Danger' alert popped up when I was out in the wastes, I spun around but could see nothing. Suddenly I'm getting blasted. Bolts appearing out of the blue, then finally about 15 feet in front of me it suddenly rendered one of Robbie the Robot looking bad guys. Decided I'd have to shelve it until I upgraded.

I so all this to say, good luck...

Laptop + touch screen is a waste of efficiency. Great in tablet mode, but it's much more efficient to do things with mouse alone. Especially with larger screens. Can't imagine using touch on my 17" Mobile CAD station.

I am not a fan of how MS forced touch with Windows 8/10.

Our company is not upgrading to Windows 10 until absolutely necessary.

Running two separate OS interfaces is one thing that makes me reluctant to get a new personal laptop. We're still on Windows 7 on both our home laptops.

----------------------------------

I'm retired IT. My personal laptop is a lenovo. I have owned and used just about every brand out there.

Like many, I got fed up with Microsoft and windows. I partitioned my HD and downloaded Ubuntu. It is a linux based OS . It is straightforward, virus safe, and comes with everything a work computer needs to have.

The Ubuntu story is worth checking into. The designer is a former developer from Microsoft and got fed up with Microsoft and their tactics. He felt there was no need for the extravagant pricing Microsoft had and felt it should be free. So a community of developers developed around him and Ubuntu was formed.

The linux based system doesn't have all the frills of windows [ and a whole lot less issues] but is compatible with all the current formats out there. The linux OS has easy work arounds that are needed to get any job or project done.

Life is much simpler and enjoyable with the linux based OS.

I would have loved to try, but it has been more than 30 days, and I had no clue the possibility existed.

There is always gonna be "that guy", today I will be him.

I got a Macbook air 3.5 years ago. It has been great. I have always used PCs and still do for work, but I have come around to Macs. I like that i don't have to deal with constant forced upgrades, no hardware issues, no MS bloat that has slowed my machine down to be painfully lagging like my last two laptops. Battery still lasts like it was new.

It starts up cold in the AM in about 20 seconds. I do my work machine side by side, and the PC takes several minutes to come online (course, not a absolute apples to apples, the work machine has to log in to VPN etc, but that is just making excuses.

PS, not a fan boy of apple, it just doesn't have all the problems that a PC has after owning for a coupe years. And the last two MS OSs just bothered me.

I am glad I switched over, it just works.

There have been some things that were new to learn about ho it works, and some things like photo management that I prefer MS better on, but overall, better and worth the extra money.

There is always gonna be "that guy", today I will be him.

I got a Macbook air 3.5 years ago. It has been great. I have always used PCs and still do for work, but I have come around to Macs. I like that i don't have to deal with constant forced upgrades, no hardware issues, no MS bloat that has slowed my machine down to be painfully lagging like my last two laptops. Battery still lasts like it was new.

It starts up cold in the AM in about 20 seconds. I do my work machine side by side, and the PC takes several minutes to come online (course, not a absolute apples to apples, the work machine has to log in to VPN etc, but that is just making excuses.

PS, not a fan boy of apple, it just doesn't have all the problems that a PC has after owning for a coupe years. And the last two MS OSs just bothered me.

I am glad I switched over, it just works.

There have been some things that were new to learn about ho it works, and some things like photo management that I prefer MS better on, but overall, better and worth the extra money.

I'm a big Apple fan and have the iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 5S, but my problem with Apple laptops and desktops is that they refuse to do a touchscreen version. I much prefer the Apple OSes to non-Apple equivalents because you're 100% right, they're virus free for the most part, stable and quick. People who do homebrews prefer the Microsoft versions so they can more easily steal but I only do homebrew for vintage games I can't get elsewhere and I don't need or even want high end machines for that.

People who do homebrews prefer the Microsoft versions so they can more easily steal but I only do homebrew for vintage games I can't get elsewhere and I don't need or even want high end machines for that.

Thats fair, at this point I rarely play games on my laptop, who has time for games? There are diapers, and chores and vehicles to work on. I do have designated play systems that wait for me to return.... I got all the music from napster and gnutella that I needed. :)

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT