ADVERTISEMENT

The French Laundry: Pictures added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a private dinner with Thomas Keller at Per Se in NYC. It is not the Laundry, but it basically is. Having been to almost all of the Pelligrino top 50 spots in the US, I can say this one was my least favorite. Getting to sit with Keller for a couple of hours was amazing. I am a total fan boy, and he lived up to the hype. With that said, I would 100% hit the Laundry.

As for the allure of "high end" restaurants; for us it is the experience. My first meal at Alinea changed the way I look at food. To experience (see/taste/feel) the art, and yes I mean art, of someone who can see the world in a way that is wildly unique is worth it. The food is always amazing at these places, but it is the total experience.

As for BBQ, I would likely not wait in line for Franklin's brisket, but I would pay a college kid to do it for me. As I have said before, I have a competition BBQ team and have won a few events. We are ranked nationally in the KCBS. I have heard from many people who I respect in the BBQ world that Franklin's is on a whole other level.
I wouldn't wait in line for any food. Not Chili's, French Laundry or any BBQ place. Ive been to all three with no line and id have to say Franklin's was better followed by the other two in a tie.

If you want good BBQ take a drive from San Antonio or Austin, stay off the interstate and stop at any small bbq joint you see. Most are pretty good. The tourist trap ones tend to be overrated.

Obligatory post to remind everyone that BBQ, any BBQ, almost w/out exception, is never better than "meh."
You haven't eaten good bbq. I guess the same could be said about any food though. Its all opinion.

Are some of the pics out of order? Couple of gin and tonics deep while watching the lightning show and its hurting my head scrolling up and down from the pics to the menu trying to figure out some of them not labeled.

1st pic, is that the trout caviar? And how do you eat that? (Seems like one of those things where you wait for someone else to eat it first).

Which item is the one with strawberries and which one is the one with the green slab?

Which meat item was better? Quail or lamb?

Did you have to give a reach under the table tuggy to the docs for that?

Looks like a once in a lifetime experience, awesome that they would spring for that for both of you.

I would imagine it really varies by individual. Honestly, I have less of a problem understanding being willing to drop a grand for two people to eat dinner than I do waiting four hours in line for food like the imbeciles in Austin. With no exaggeration the wait at Austin's allegedly finest BBQ place (Franklins) was over 4 hours when I was there not two weekends ago. And the wait for La BBQ arguably the second best was over 3 hours. And it makes no %*%*ing sense. Literally 30-40 minutes or so you can drive to Lockhart or Driftwood and go to a Texas BBQ just as good (and frankly better imo) where you either walk in or wait normal 30 minutes or so. So you can literally drive to Lockhart, eat at Kreuz Market and drive back and save 2 hours. Yet there is Austinites waiting 4 hours to get get some a basically unseasoned (other than salt & pepper). It boggles my mind. I doubt I would wait too much over an hour for ANY restaurant.

I've had franklins several times but I've never eaten there nor have I ever waited. My brother lives in Austin. He orders ahead. We just go there pick everything up and leave. Food is great.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Done poorly like Sonny's does (and most places in Florida) it's usually pretty terrible. But the famous places in Texas usually "do it up" pretty well, especially the fatty end. I will say that I like the California TriTip at the Far Western Tavern (my favorite Cali "BBQ" place) better than the fatty end brisket at Kreuz Market (my favorite Texas BBQ). BUT...on this last trip I tried something new (to me) at Kreuz. I ordered the bbqed prime rib and discovered Texas Prime Rib (at least at Kreuz) > Santa Maria Tritip > Texas Brisket.

And as far as Franklins, I have been although it's been a long time now and was before it reached massive notoriety and I still like Kreuz better. And the best part of Kreuz is that I've had zero wait each and every time I've been.

I like coopers

Freefly,

This looks like a lot of fun.

I turned into a bit of a foodie when I lived in Chicago. I can't say I've ever regretted an expensive meal. They're almost always a good experience.

Take that back. I went to a couple of moderately high end restaurants in New Orleans with a 2 year old and ended up eating about the most expensive to go orders I've ever had on an ironing board in my last minute crappy hotel room.

Nice. Place is great. We did not do the wine tasting, just bought 3 bottles through out the dinner. Still came out to the same 1k per couple. Sorry you did not get the butter poached lobster. They sous vide lobster tail in a vat of butter. They do not vacuum seal it, just cook it in butter heated to 140 degrees. Good god was that amazing.

Reactions: cmanole
Are some of the pics out of order? Couple of gin and tonics deep while watching the lightning show and its hurting my head scrolling up and down from the pics to the menu trying to figure out some of them not labeled.

1st pic, is that the trout caviar? And how do you eat that? (Seems like one of those things where you wait for someone else to eat it first).

Which item is the one with strawberries and which one is the one with the green slab?

Which meat item was better? Quail or lamb?

Did you have to give a reach under the table tuggy to the docs for that?

Looks like a once in a lifetime experience, awesome that they would spring for that for both of you.
Only the desserts may be out of order. The Lamb was insane. Also the munkfish. The desserts erer a hodgpodge of stuff, each person got 3 dishes and we didn't all puck the same menu, so there was some sharing. The first pic was oysters and sturgeon caviar, it was one of the most delicious dishes.

No hand jobs this time around.

I would imagine it really varies by individual. Honestly, I have less of a problem understanding being willing to drop a grand for two people to eat dinner than I do waiting four hours in line for food like the imbeciles in Austin. With no exaggeration the wait at Austin's allegedly finest BBQ place (Franklins) was over 4 hours when I was there not two weekends ago. And the wait for La BBQ arguably the second best was over 3 hours. And it makes no %*%*ing sense. Literally 30-40 minutes or so you can drive to Lockhart or Driftwood and go to a Texas BBQ just as good (and frankly better imo) where you either walk in or wait normal 30 minutes or so. So you can literally drive to Lockhart, eat at Kreuz Market and drive back and save 2 hours. Yet there is Austinites waiting 4 hours to get get some a basically unseasoned (other than salt & pepper). It boggles my mind. I doubt I would wait too much over an hour for ANY restaurant.

Okay I knew that eventually you would post something I agree with wholeheartedly. You didn't disappoint.

If you've EVER lived in a big restaurant city like Dallas you would think people are crazy to wait for a table anywhere.
Even BBQ.
I can tell you with a high level of certainty, being familiar with Austin, the kind of people who WOULD wait there are the ultra cool hipsters who only talk to each other, who only live in certain areas, and who maybe ain't even from Texas to begin with. Hell, they might even be from someplace like **gasp** California. You know, those computer people.
( insert eye roll)
I'd head out to Driftwood, get me some Salt Lick, and head back on to the house.

One of my company's best customers invited me and my wife to join him and his husband next month at The French Laundry for dinner.

Any of you guys ever been? I've always wanted to go, but never took the time to get reservations months in advance, plan travel etc, etc. The invite pushed me over the edge. We will Get to SF Saturday and have dinner in the city with my buddy, then head up to Napa to booze it up on a wine tour on Sunday, then Monday during the day we are hitting the Audi test track / raceway for a driving course, then dinner at the French Laundry on Monday night, back to the east coast Tuesday morning.

I'm pretty excited, as a foodie kind of guy, I think it will be rad. I hope it hasn't been too hyped up.

Points for the flight, points for the hotel, homeboy is covering our dinner, so other than the driving course, and a few other odd meals I won't be out of pocket much for the trip, I'm a low roller.

Lessons from TFL

Things to know before dining at TFL

I figure it's a once in a lifetime experience. If you've been let me know what you think?

I have been with my wife and two others for lunch which at that time was essentially the same menu as dinner.

Simply put, the cost was obscene. The lunch for four cost more than our 4 round trip airfare tickets from Florida to San Francisco. It was in excess of $2500 for lunch. When I got the bill, all I could do was laugh. I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to burst blood vessels.

To add insult, the waiter limited our table to one full glass of water each, forcing us to buy extra grossly over priced wine so we would have something to drink with our lunch.

While the food was good it was not memorable; but the price sure and heck was.

Suggestion, skip the French Laundry all together and spend your money in Napa at the private wine tastings at the better vineyards. Far better experience for the buck.

Last edited:
When I got the bill, all I could do was laugh. I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to burst blood vessels.
giphy.gif

I find it hard to believe that i live in a world where this might actually surprise anyone.

If you are suggesting the price surprised me, it did not. The price wasn't the surprise, the price of the "so-called experience" for less than memorable food was. I cannot even tell you what I had. More importantly, I leave the French Laundry out of my conversations, even though I was fortunate enough to go.

Freefly,

This looks like a lot of fun.

I turned into a bit of a foodie when I lived in Chicago. I can't say I've ever regretted an expensive meal. They're almost always a good experience.

Take that back. I went to a couple of moderately high end restaurants in New Orleans with a 2 year old and ended up eating about the most expensive to go orders I've ever had on an ironing board in my last minute crappy hotel room.

Bad meal, but great stories for that little bastage's wedding. I've had a couple of those too.

Reactions: Banditking
To those of you who wouldn't wait for Franklin's I just have to disagree. Let me explain.

It's not a place you go to grab lunch. It's an event. There is no doubt there will be a wait, that is built in to the expectation. BBQ is about the wait. If you do it at home there is a HUGE wait. Once you're at the cutting counter you are an individual. The respect you and give you time to decide, they have several cuts of meat to choose from and they will give you a sample of each to help you make up your mind. They answer any questions you may have and don't rush you. To that when you take up a table in their small space, they don't rush you one bit.

The line is an event in and of itself. You make friends, you tell stories and jokes, you drink beer and you smell some great Q and build your appetite. You can BYOB, or they sell cold beer in the line for $3,$4, and $5 depending, but don't care if you have a cooler. They provide chairs, it's like tailgating. I bring my little UE Boom bluetooth speaker and have a good ol'time.

I've been 4 times now. My situation may be a little different. It's always been on a weekday, and I've always been with an important customer, so it has been an opportunity to drink some beers, and spend some quality time with a customer and get off the generic superficial business conversations folks have. Then at then end.... you get OUTSTANDING BBQ.

I may not be the connoisseur that some of you fat bastards are, but I know the basics and if Franklin's isn't your best, it will sit near the top. So no matter what you think or say about the line, the BBQ isn't disappointing.

I suggest you do it some day with the right attitude and expectations it's a good spot.

To those of you who wouldn't wait for Franklin's I just have to disagree. Let me explain.

It's not a place you go to grab lunch. It's an event. There is no doubt there will be a wait, that is built in to the expectation. BBQ is about the wait. If you do it at home there is a HUGE wait. Once you're at the cutting counter you are an individual. The respect you and give you time to decide, they have several cuts of meat to choose from and they will give you a sample of each to help you make up your mind. They answer any questions you may have and don't rush you. To that when you take up a table in their small space, they don't rush you one bit.

The line is an event in and of itself. You make friends, you tell stories and jokes, you drink beer and you smell some great Q and build your appetite. You can BYOB, or they sell cold beer in the line for $3,$4, and $5 depending, but don't care if you have a cooler. They provide chairs, it's like tailgating. I bring my little UE Boom bluetooth speaker and have a good ol'time.

I've been 4 times now. My situation may be a little different. It's always been on a weekday, and I've always been with an important customer, so it has been an opportunity to drink some beers, and spend some quality time with a customer and get off the generic superficial business conversations folks have. Then at then end.... you get OUTSTANDING BBQ.

I may not be the connoisseur that some of you fat bastards are, but I know the basics and if Franklin's isn't your best, it will sit near the top. So no matter what you think or say about the line, the BBQ isn't disappointing.

I suggest you do it some day with the right attitude and expectations it's a good spot.

I+like+the+cut+of+your+jib_228589_5463185.jpg

Reactions: GoNolesTX
To add insult, the waiter limited our table to one full glass of water each, forcing us to buy extra grossly over priced wine so we would have something to drink with our lunch.

I am curious as to how this plays out. Is it something like this:

Nole4757: Waiter, may I please have another glass of water?
Waiter: No, you must have wine.
Nole4757: I would really prefer water.
Noles4757: Well, may I speak to the manager?
Manager: May I help you?
Noles4757: I would like to have a glass of water.
Manager: No, you must have wine.
Noles4757: I'm paying over $500 for my lunch. I want a glass of water.
Manager: No, you must have wine
Noles4757: OK, I guess I have to have wine. I'll take this one (points to cheapest bottle on menu).
Waiter: No, you must have this one (grossly overpriced).
Noles4757. OK. (thinks to himself, this is totally not worth the money)

I am curious as to how this plays out. Is it something like this:

Nole4757: Waiter, may I please have another glass of water?
Nole4757: I would really prefer water.
Noles4757: Well, may I speak to the manager?
Manager: May I help you?
Noles4757: I would like to have a glass of water.
Manager: No, you must have wine.
Noles4757: I'm paying over $500 for my lunch. I want a glass of water.
Manager: No, you must have wine
Noles4757: OK, I guess I have to have wine. I'll take this one (points to cheapest bottle on menu).
Waiter: No, you must have this one (grossly overpriced).
Noles4757. OK. (thinks to himself, this is totally not worth the money)

LOL!

You are actually pretty close.

The waiter, however, didn't offer wine as an alternative. Just said we cannot refill water glasses or sell you any further bottles of water, leaving you with no choice but to order wine and by the bottle yet, not the glass. The French Laundry would never slum itself so low as to offer wine by the glass.

What made the lunch so ridiculous is that right after my party of four was seated, one of my clients called and wanted a conference call. So I spent most of my "French Laundry experience", for which I paid ridiculous sums, in the French Laundry court yard outside the French Laundry house.

And, after I returned to my table, I could not even get a second glass of water.

How could you not laugh yourself silly when you got the bill that was north of $2500 for lunch?

After we finished lunch and left the prestigious French Launch, we went to a local pizza joint to get filled up.

I agree, the French Laundry was an experience I have yet to forget.

LOL!

You are actually pretty close.

The waiter, however, didn't offer wine as an alternative. Just said we cannot refill water glasses or sell you any further bottles of water, leaving you with no choice but to order wine and by the bottle yet, not the glass. The French Laundry would never slum itself so low as to offer wine by the glass.

What made the lunch so ridiculous is that right after my party of four was seated, one of my clients called and wanted a conference call. So I spent most of my "French Laundry experience", for which I paid ridiculous sums, in the French Laundry court yard outside the French Laundry house.

And, after I returned to my table, I could not even get a second glass of water.

How could you not laugh yourself silly when you got the bill that was north of $2500 for lunch?

After we finished lunch and left the prestigious French Launch, we went to a local pizza joint to get filled up.

I agree, the French Laundry was an experience I have yet to forget.

What is your business? You're (1) unable to get a second glass of water at a restaurant; (2) unable to tell a client that you're unavailable for a couple of hours. Whatever it is that you do, you can't be very good at it, and you're less important than you think.

I've only been to Franklin's once, for a rehearsal dinner, so I got the best of both worlds: an evening of cutting up, drinking, and joking around while eating fantastic 'cue. However, I would totally go spend a few hours tailgating for it. Hell, tailgating in and of itself is a rad way to spend a day. You get some brisket at the end? Aight.

Reactions: FreeFlyNole
What is your business? You're (1) unable to get a second glass of water at a restaurant; (2) unable to tell a client that you're unavailable for a couple of hours. Whatever it is that you do, you can't be very good at it, and you're less important than you think.

LOL!

Your response is so stupid, all I can do is laugh at you.

Okay I knew that eventually you would post something I agree with wholeheartedly. You didn't disappoint.

If you've EVER lived in a big restaurant city like Dallas you would think people are crazy to wait for a table anywhere.
Even BBQ.
I can tell you with a high level of certainty, being familiar with Austin, the kind of people who WOULD wait there are the ultra cool hipsters who only talk to each other, who only live in certain areas, and who maybe ain't even from Texas to begin with. Hell, they might even be from someplace like **gasp** California. You know, those computer people.
( insert eye roll)
I'd head out to Driftwood, get me some Salt Lick, and head back on to the house.

That's true, there's never a line at the Tampa Outback or Olive Garden.....

If you are suggesting the price surprised me, it did not. The price wasn't the surprise, the price of the "so-called experience" for less than memorable food was. I cannot even tell you what I had. More importantly, I leave the French Laundry out of my conversations, even though I was fortunate enough to go.

I believe he was talking about a male doctor having a husband but I digress. $1,000 a head for dinner and you only get a few spoonfuls of accoutrements and a couple of bites of duck and lamb? Cash me ousside...

Reactions: FreeFlyNole
$1,000 a head for dinner and you only get a few spoonfuls of accoutrements and a couple of bites of duck and lamb? Cash me ousside...

Just because servings are small does not mean that the amount of food is lacking. While I have not eaten at French Laundry I did have the good fortune of eating a 7 course meal at a 3 star Michelin (same as French Laundry) in France recently. Did the recommended tasting for the evening, nice bottle of Burgundian Grand Cru, and while it was expensive, it was absolutely amazing. Any restaurant that garners 3 stars is going to be amazing but the fois gras lollipop was mind-blowing as was the poached pigeon which was far better than it sounds. I respect anyone's choices for how they spend their disposable income but there is certainly nothing wrong with spending 4 hours consuming culinary art.

It does sound like a bucket list kind of experience. I would not turn down the opportunity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT