ADVERTISEMENT

The next Sears?

they're certainly not in trouble like Sears & the others mentioned in this thread, but their same store sales have not been good for the last few quarters (and were terrible in the most recent quarter released). I'd imagine they will get things ironed out (they really need to because Bloomin Brands is very much counting on that line to be their growth engine over the next 5+ years).

BBI as a whole performed poorly, especially early this year when the entire northeast was snowed in frequently and didn't go to restaurants. I know several people in their HQ and they say the data is pretty glaring. I think BBI has deeper issues though. They are making some poor decisions at the top and losing some of their brightest people that helped them grow the previous 5 years

While it's just a portion of a big company, Bonefish Grill is going to have to make massive changes to survive.

How much longer can Olive Garden hold on? Seems like they've been "tweaking the concept" for 5+ years.

The next Sears is Major League Baseball. I'm 41 and grew up on baseball but the 25 & below demo could care less about MLB and the stats show it. The average age of World Series viewer last few years was in mid 50's & 12-25 demo was non-existent. The All-Star game ratings were abysmal. MLB will have big problem on their hands in 10 years as the 30-40 age group will spend dollars elsewhere.

Reactions: DanC78
So you're saying the next generation will pioneer what I'll call a digital "mixtape".
Because that's already happened, years ago. If I want to think about college (late 90s), I can either pop in a mix tape, burned mix CD, or a spotify playlist I put together.

This isn't necessarily a revolutionary thing, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

There you go then. I thought people were still buying albums. Didn't realize the transition has happened already.

I need to get out more.

Comcast internet service seems ok to me. I don't get their pricing and random billing changes, but the service works well for me and is faster than the only other option I have, which is ATT Uverse. I currently pay around $75 for Blast!, which is like 50 mbps, plus the basic tv pkg, which I don't use because it's literally just the local channels in SD and some digital music. I can pick up all my locals in HD with an antenna. I inquired about pricing for internet only, but it would actually be more expensive.

Reactions: Bartdog
The next Sears is Major League Baseball. I'm 41 and grew up on baseball but the 25 & below demo could care less about MLB and the stats show it. The average age of World Series viewer last few years was in mid 50's & 12-25 demo was non-existent. The All-Star game ratings were abysmal. MLB will have big problem on their hands in 10 years as the 30-40 age group will spend dollars elsewhere.

Baseball has origins as a father/son sport, and "fathers" are on the decline. Lacrosse is exploding. Personally, I cannot keep track of the multiple players named Jose Cruz. Will be interesting to watch this. Agree that baseball as a TV sport will struggle in the future.

How much longer can Olive Garden hold on? Seems like they've been "tweaking the concept" for 5+ years.

The moves they've made the last couple of years have been solid - splitting out Red Lobster, spinning out the real estate, menu changes. It's helped their bottom line significantly & should do so for the next couple of years. Their bigger issue is a little further out - 5 to 10 years down the road; they're not pulling in new, younger customers, it is viewed as a restaurant for grandma & grampa. They need to figure out how to appeal to the younger generation.

Baseball has origins as a father/son sport, and "fathers" are on the decline. Lacrosse is exploding. Personally, I cannot keep track of the multiple players named Jose Cruz. Will be interesting to watch this. Agree that baseball as a TV sport will struggle in the future.

It's just too long. I used to love the game but simply can't watch it anymore. And my 12 year old couldn't care less about baseball.

There are several reasons baseball is dying but I don't think any of your's are accurate.

It's just too long. I used to love the game but simply can't watch it anymore. And my 12 year old couldn't care less about baseball.

This. Game is too long, season is too long. Also, baseball is way more enjoyable at the park, but only if a trip to the park is enjoyable. With the sprawl of suburbia, getting to a game on a frequent basis just becomes untenable. How many people get out of work at 5, and can be at the park with their kids by 7?

I don't think it's going away, but society has just moved too far from baseball being a good fit. When I was a kid, we had season tickets to the minor league team, and went to most of the games. I could hop on a bus and go with friends if my father wasn't able to go. It was great. That's just no duplicable for most people now.

JC Penny, Sports authority and every super bookstore

This. Game is too long, season is too long. Also, baseball is way more enjoyable at the park, but only if a trip to the park is enjoyable. With the sprawl of suburbia, getting to a game on a frequent basis just becomes untenable. How many people get out of work at 5, and can be at the park with their kids by 7?

I don't think it's going away, but society has just moved too far from baseball being a good fit. When I was a kid, we had season tickets to the minor league team, and went to most of the games. I could hop on a bus and go with friends if my father wasn't able to go. It was great. That's just no duplicable for most people now.
It's interesting, other that crazy prices, the biggest reason I hear from people about not wanting to go to games (any sport really) is "parking" and "traffic", it's rarely "i have an HDTV" as many sports economists theorize.
If I were an owner I'd be doing everything possible to put my stadiums either:
in the middle of young professional or business district population centers
near public transpo
get the city/county to build some rail lines to me

Traffic sure as shit isn't going anywhere, normal population growth + ongoing migration from small to large cities = more hellacious traffic woes for everybody driving, when you add in 30-80k people to that mix for an event, people would be crazy to go.

JC Penny, Sports authority and every super bookstore
I just checked out Gov Sq Mall's directory, i haven't been there in like 8 years probably, to see if JC Penney is still there. Surprisingly is (wow). I wouldn't expect them to last very long. Does anyone here shop there? I think I'm much more likely to buy clothes from Target than JCP. What do they sell? Maybe I'm being close-minded.

And holy crap, I totally forgot Champs exists, I use to love that place -- do people still go there?!

SportCenter kills baseball. Only hard core fans will invest the 3+ hours necessary to watch a full game on TV, or the 5+ hours necessary to travel to/from one of the 81 games in your area. You can catch the highlights in 30-60 seconds, and the casual observer misses very little.

Sore subject - long, long college baseball games full of slow, slow pitching changes. 3.5 to 4 hour games get painful, young people start leaving by the 5th.

FedEx won't be far behind some of the other companies already posted. UPS, Amazon and Uber will all have cheaper, faster services.

The Wall Street Journal recently predicted that all smart phone companies will be dead 10 years from now, except Samsung, which the WSJ predicted will have 85% of the market, and Apple, which will have the remaining 15%.

Apple will be for the hip and the wealthy, and Samsung will be for everyone else.

Larger stadiums as we are already seeing. I will still go to the game as long as it's affordable though because I enjoy being there live. I also like being outdoors in the stadium vs in a closed in box with a window.

I do agree down the road there's a good shot that cable companies will go away or be minimal at best due to all the streaming. I think malls are going to go away in general except for the huge big name massive malls.

The Wall Street Journal recently predicted that all smart phone companies will be dead 10 years from now, except Samsung, which the WSJ predicted will have 85% of the market, and Apple, which will have the remaining 15%.

Apple will be for the hip and the wealthy, and Samsung will be for everyone else.
Samsung is not doing that well, actually. Some Chinese makers, don't remember how to spell them, are taking over. Side note I read somewhere that Sammy's new phones will not have removable batters or micro sd card slots.

SportCenter kills baseball. Only hard core fans will invest the 3+ hours necessary to watch a full game on TV, or the 5+ hours necessary to travel to/from one of the 81 games in your area. You can catch the highlights in 30-60 seconds, and the casual observer misses very little.

This and the year round coverage of football and other sports. You don't need MLB to fill the gap for the next football season anymore. Now we have hyped up drafts, draft academy, hard knocks, college football shows daily, NFL shows daily, etc etc.

My vote is on another bank. The rules that created the 2008 crisis are still in place. Dodd-Frank did not end those rules. I feel like we're coming due for another massive default crisis.

Reactions: Bartdog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT