ADVERTISEMENT

The People vs OJ Simpson

He's were he belongs. Hopefully he dies there.
I was in high school in California (a little north of San Diego) skipping school that day, Senior ditch day. We were at a some rich kids house high up on a hill that you could see I-5 from and we saw the convoy roll by. There were a gazillion cop cars.

I went to FSU and was enthralled by the trial and watched every second I could. Really pissed with that verdict, and not just because I'm white.

I was in high school in California (a little north of San Diego) skipping school that day, Senior ditch day. We were at a some rich kids house high up on a hill that you could see I-5 from and we saw the convoy roll by. There were a gazillion cop cars.

I went to FSU and was enthralled by the trial and watched every second I could. Really pissed with that verdict, and not just because I'm white.

EVERYONE, black or white or green, should be embarrassed by the outcome of that trial. It was a complete circus from the get-go. Incompetent prosecutors + horrible judge + huckster defense counsel = shameful miscarriage of justice. Makes you wonder how many "routine" cases are similarly botched.

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
I remember the juice walking the sidelines in Doak, a childhood friend of mine used to date him. We went trout fishing one time

She is included in the mini series.

Paula Barbieri

From Panama City. I remember OJ was looking at houses to buy in PC after the trial.

Why this is bolded and large text I don't know

Watched it and will probably watch the rest. Pretty good. I thought it was 6 episodes.

What'd everyone think of the 2nd episode?

I remember the day of the bronco car chase. We'd just gotten home from Fiesta Texas (now Six Flags) and caught the end of the chase on TV. It was quite the interesting spectacle.

I always thought the dumbest part of the entire trial was the gloves. OJ put them on and they fit. He's stretching out his fingers to try to make them not fit, but they still fit. Why the prosecution didn't call him on this I don't know.

juice9n-2-web.jpg

I always thought the dumbest part of the entire trial was the gloves. OJ put them on and they fit. He's stretching out his fingers to try to make them not fit, but they still fit. Why the prosecution didn't call him on this I don't know.

juice9n-2-web.jpg

plus, doesn't leather shrink in the sun? if they found them in his car, in the summer, in southern cal...

as for the show, i've been captivated by it but I simply can't stand Schwimmer. I hated friends for this also. He comes across so whinny, sappy, droopy...i just can't. He almost makes his friendship with OJ come across a bit homosexual on the show.

juice9n-2-web.jpg

Apparently he quit taking his arthritis meds in order to create an onset of swelling in his hands...thus creating the "They don't fit" illusion.

Isn't the son the suspect that never was but many think actually did the crime?

juice9n-2-web.jpg
Great point.....not to mention the prosecution witness that everyone overlooks: the president of the Isotoner glove company. When asked what size glove he would fit OJ with - the answer was the exact size of the gloves.

If you have a nice pair of leather drive gloves (that fit nice and snug) try putting them on over a pair of surgical gloves.....you may land up looking like OJ trying the gloves on during the trial.

Isn't the son the suspect that never was but many think actually did the crime?
The alternate theory that's received the most traction in the mainstream media is private detective Bill Dear's suspicion that the real killer was Jason Simpson, O.J.'s son from his first marriage. Dear outlined his findings in a BBC documentary called O.J. Simpson: The Untold Story and later published a book, O.J. Is Guilty but Not of Murder: Jason was obsessed with his stepmother, and he killed her in a jealous rage after she skipped a family dinner he had planned. O.J., in this telling, arrived later, to help his son cover up the crime.

Dear's evidence is largely circumstantial: Jason Simpson's alleged history of violent mental illness – obtained, Dear's critics say, illegally – as well as holes in Jason's official alibi. His theory has received favorable, or at least not entirely incredulous, coverage from The Independent and the Huffington Post, but former Village Voice editor Tony Ortega says the detective is "full of it": "Dear's timeline for that night is a complete farce ... and his ideas for how O.J. Simpson's blood ended up at the scene are beyond preposterous."

LINK: http://www.people.com/article/oj-simpson-trial-anniversary-conspiracy-theories

as for the show, i've been captivated by it but I simply can't stand Schwimmer. I hated friends for this also. He comes across so whinny, sappy, droopy...i just can't. He almost makes his friendship with OJ come across a bit homosexual on the show.

I agree with this. It's distracting. Schwimmer and Cuba were miscast IMO and bring down the value of an otherwise well-cast show.

Reactions: HulaNole
Great point.....not to mention the prosecution witness that everyone overlooks: the president of the Isotoner glove company. When asked what size glove he would fit OJ with - the answer was the exact size of the gloves.

If you have a nice pair of leather drive gloves (that fit nice and snug) try putting them on over a pair of surgical gloves.....you may land up looking like OJ trying the gloves on during the trial.

Plus the gloves were shrunk from liquids like blood.

Surprised they ended tonight's episode with an F-bomb. I didn't think that could fly on regular cable.

Could have done without the Kardasian kids cheering scene. Added nothing. I do think Schwimmer is doing a great job as RK.

Reactions: dmm5157
I agree with this. It's distracting. Schwimmer and Cuba were miscast IMO and bring down the value of an otherwise well-cast show.

I mentioned this to the wife and she said based on the documentary she watched (with all the OJ tapes), Cuba is spot on.

I mentioned this to the wife and she said based on the documentary she watched (with all the OJ tapes), Cuba is spot on.

Could be, but something about Cuba as OJ that I just don't buy.

I haven't spent a minute watching any documentaries on it, so it very well could be spot on and I just have an issue with CGJ as OJ Simpson.

juice9n-2-web.jpg

Horrible/inexperienced trial lawyer. No accomplished lawyer allows an adversary to "control" an experiment like that. You think a guy literally fighting for his life is going to perform the experiment "fairly"? Please. So many botched parts of that trial. Possibly the worst part was not introducing evidence of O.J. having disguises and large amounts of cash.....he was clearly in flight for the border. Very devastating evidence, but it never got out of the briefcase.

Criminal law is one of the most non-level playing fields in the world. Most of the prosecutors simply are not very good. Some exceptions, sure, but most of them are poor. Match them up against an experienced, insightful trial lawyer with plenty of resources, and, well, money wins way more times than not.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Sarah Paulson has got the Marcia Clark character nailed.

Did anyone else hear Martha Clark utter "motherf*cker" at the end of the episode, possibly the first time the F bomb was heard on cable TV in primetime. I had to rewind twice to make sure that I had heard it correctly (and the subtitles confirmed what I heard). I know other channels have used the F word, but usually a lot later at night.

Watching Episode 3 right now, wish the Kardashians were not part of this show. Beyond annoying, waste of screen time.
Said the same thing to the wife last night when we watched it. Just not needed, but I guess they threw it in to appease the masses.
Think it is very well cast, and really brings me back to that time. Remember watching the verdict in Deviney Hall just in absolute shock.

Watching Episode 3 right now, wish the Kardashians were not part of this show. Beyond annoying, waste of screen time.

Agreed so much, there was no need to include the kids in this miniseries, at all. "Uncle Juice", are you kidding me? That just shows me what a phony and ass kisser that daddy Kardashian was.

Talk about karma. Kardashian is dead. Cochran is dead. F. Lee Bailey has been disbarred in several states. How the hell did these clowns get Simpson off?

Did anyone else hear Martha Clark utter "motherf*cker" at the end of the episode, possibly the first time the F bomb was heard on cable TV in primetime. I had to rewind twice to make sure that I had heard it correctly (and the subtitles confirmed what I heard). I know other channels have used the F word, but usually a lot later at night.
Yes, we noticed and were like, WTF!?

Agreed so much, there was no need to include the kids in this miniseries, at all. "Uncle Juice", are you kidding me? That just shows me what a phony and ass kisser that daddy Kardashian was.

Talk about karma. Kardashian is dead. Cochran is dead. F. Lee Bailey has been disbarred in several states. How the hell did these clowns get Simpson off?
Bobby Shapiro was the man, and Marcia Clark was an absolute moron.

Seems like I remember him having a girlfriend from Panama City. Was your friend Paula Barbieri, who later married a judge?

No it was Paula Barberi until Hollywood threw a extra i in there. I grew up surfing with her brothers Vinnie and Mike. She graduated the same year as my sister, used to date one of her best friends. OJ was a very nice guy, very humble, totally unlike what the media portrayed him as. He must have come unhinged that night

Prosecutors were horrible. Judge was horrible. Jury was overwhelmingly African-American, and simply refused to convict him......this was their way of protesting the Rodney King debacle. One of the jurors expressly admitted just that during a later interview.

Tragic/shameful episode in American legal history.....but it gave many people their first real understanding that "the system" is littered with lots of incompetent people.

Prosecutors were horrible. Judge was horrible. Jury was overwhelmingly African-American, and simply refused to convict him......this was their way of protesting the Rodney King debacle. One of the jurors expressly admitted just that during a later interview.

Tragic/shameful episode in American legal history.....but it gave many people their first real understanding that "the system" is littered with lots of incompetent people.

Great post.

And look at where O.J. is now. In the slammer. Where he belongs.

Watched Episode 4 last night and I am loving every minute of the show now. They got away from the Kardashians (thank you Jesus) and I really like the details they are focusing on now: the minor details that set up the failure of the prosecution. The infighting and conflict that occurred on both sides of the case.

Looking forward to the next episode and happy to see there are actually 9 episodes, not 6. I was thinking there were only 2 episodes left to wrap this up but I was wrong.

No it was Paula Barberi until Hollywood threw a extra i in there. I grew up surfing with her brothers Vinnie and Mike. She graduated the same year as my sister, used to date one of her best friends. OJ was a very nice guy, very humble, totally unlike what the media portrayed him as. He must have come unhinged that night

was she the one OJ called the police about saying that she shacked up with Pedro Guerrero doing coke?

One theory about why he went on a rampage--if you believe that it was him--was that he had been on a coke bender

I think you were duped by a master manipulator.

was she the one OJ called the police about saying that she shacked up with Pedro Guerrero doing coke?

One theory about why he went on a rampage--if you believe that it was him--was that he had been on a coke bender

I've never watched any OJ Simpson documentaries before but started watching one last night on YouTube. I'd never really been all that interested to follow up on the case once it ended in the 90's, but the show (plus the interest in Making a Murder) has piqued my interest.

I didn't realize how violently Nicole and Ron were murdered. The amount of blood was staggering. One of the documentary was showing pictures of the crime scene and it was eye opening. Glad OJ is behind bars now, because that evidence was incredible. The prosecution got cocky and completely blew that trial.

Courtney Vance does an incredible job as Johnnie Cochran in this show. Especially his rant in the courtroom in the last episode.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT