ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking of Revamping Entertainment, Phone

hatsbo

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2006
Charlottesville, VA
It's amazing how much all this crap is costing me, and it seems to be marching ever so higher. We live in the boonies and have Centurylink dsl and a land line for 100 a month. Just realized I'm paying 17 a month of that for voice mail that I never ordered or use, we have a machine. That seems like a lot for some crappy internet speed and a phone we use once or twice a week. What are my options on the internet, Hughes satellite? Will dump the voice mail and seriously consider the land line. We've had DTV for three years and generally are satisfied, although the HD suddenly malfunctioned yesterday. We're paying a paltry 170 for that{yuk, yuk}, which gets me all the movie channels, plus I have a sports package which gets me all the regional networks. They do black all the pro sports live, I do get some of the games on delay. Does DTV have a Boston sports pckg that has all Boston sports teams{probably dreaming there}? Don't have internet hooked up to my TV for Netfix or On Demand, don't believe that's possible with dsl or am I wrong? Seems like everyone has Netflix nowadays. Thoughts appreciated.

You have to have some sort of Internet that is pay one fee not use, find that service at the best fee. Get rid of all movie channels but HBO and get Netflix, plenty of on demand movies. Get a Roku to pick up HBO on demand, a lot of options there. Go strictly with cell phone, no land line. Cell service, you need to check everybody's plan and what picks up best for you at your home location. There's a lot of ways to save, you just need to figure out what you are willing to let go of or change the way you use them.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Kinda going through a similar thing now. Our Comcast internet (50mbps) includes basic cable + HBO for $73/mo (after taxes and fees) locked in for 2 years (before that it was $59).

I am severely thinking about cancelling DTV and going to internet TV route for $20/mo for the additional channels and use my Roku or Amazon Fire TV. That'll cover us for live events and such. Only downside is the $20 for each device, but we pay that for DVR service now as it is on top of everything else.

I hate Comcast but their basic cable included package makes it the same price as internet alone and the speed is faster. Such a scam to suck you in to add-ons ($19 per DVR, additional channels, etc). Nickel and dimed to death.

Nice thing about the Internet TV companies is they're offering nice incentives like free Roku or $50 towards Amazon Fire TV Stick for 3 months of service:

Sling TV Promotion for free Roku or Fire TV Stick

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT