ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday morning press conference live updates (Norvell video)

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
We're scheduled to get Norvell and a few players today after practice.
I'm sure he'll be asked quite a bit about D.J. Matthews and Warren Thompson.

We'll keep you updated! Supposed to start around 11 a.m.

---------------------------------------------

Norvell: "I was just made aware of messages from players that were not here today for practice ... disappointing to see what was said. We've been very open and transparent throughout this process. We've had a voluntary camp, voluntary summer access, transparent throughout this process ... to discuss all issues when it comes to Covid and all issues. ... I've really been pleased by a majority of the team. ... We've been working through all protocols" when they get a positive test and the contact tracing. "I'm disappointed to hear about the messages that have been put out there." Stresses the word "voluntary" again. "No mandatory summer access. I look forward to taking questions. Today was a special teams emphasis practice."

On trust issues: "We had a full team open forum two nights ago. ... I've had some individual meetings with players as well, addressing issues, ... I can tell you there have been guys that had illness throughout camp and negative results have come back. ... I've been very transparent with every player that I've talked to. ...We had a good back and forth the other night in our team meeting and urge guys to make proper decisions when they're away from our facility and follow the protocols when they're here."

"I think we had four tests throughout. We had three scheduled and then had another one before 4th of July ... we tested them at that point as well. ... That was one of the questions that was brought up by our players when it was brought up as weekly tests ... tested the week before camp, tested the week of camp and will continue to test once a week during the camp."

"We're not going to release any numbers when it comes (to how many players are out). So, I'm going to stick with policy."

"I spoke to D.J. last night and did not mention anything about his tweet. I was checking to see how he was doing after finding out about the positive test. ... We talk about understanding and respecting people's privacy. ... I'm not sure why D.J. took (the tweet) down. But on the flip side is the only thing we ask our players not to do is comment on another player's injury .... that's what we encourage our guys to limit is when they're talking about others."

On Thompson's accusations: He says he has no idea what he's referring to in regards to the lies.

"We have a lot of young men that were just on the football field working to get better. We have a lot of young men sacrificing ... to make sure that we're in a position to play. ... It's challenging. It takes great sacrifice. ... We have coaches who are not staying at their own home. ... We fully respect everybody's decision." Stresses again "voluntary." Says they have no issue with anyone opting out. Ever.

"We also have a contact tracing policy. We go through everything when it comes to our meeting rooms. ... Those things are in place for a reason. ... There are questions. When a player tests positive, and this has been the same way throughout the summer, you go through who they've been around." ... Sounds like they don't let the team know who has tested positive. Just that someone has, and then they do the contact tracing. Could be misreading that, though.

Says he won't confirm who is and who isn't at practice.
Says he had a one-on-one conversation with Warren Thompson last night. And now assumes there will definitely be a follow-up.

"Any time there is a new staff, there is a transitional experience we all have to work through. The issue back in May with Marvin, I was able to come out and understand where my mistake was made. ... I owned that decision. We came together as a team. The players have the right to post what they want to post. ... Obviously, I support our players and their voice and the platform they have. The issue we're having today is a separate issue. I feel very confident how we operate each and every day. ... Obviously, those statements are sending a message but I feel very confident how we operate this program. ... At the end of the day, the integrity of how we operate I stand by it. Do people make mistakes? Yes. I made a mistake in May by not being completely clear with every word."

"We've tried to be very proactive since May with parents. I think we've had four parent conferences. ... I think we had one the Wednesday before they reported. ... Stressing the voluntary nature of what we're doing ... it takes a lot of time to help encourage these young men to the sacrifices that are needed ... have a very open line of communication with the parents. ... trying to make sure we're assisting them with the process."

"As a team we will have an open discussion, much like we had an open discussion two nights ago. ... It's part of being a college football player and running and leading a college football team, we're all in this together. ... It is our job to make sure we provide an open and transparent protocol ... there are times when rumors and thoughts and speculation - which are untrue - they tend to spread. And at the end of the day we try to address every situation ..." and says they share with the players what they're allowed to share.

"When you opt out it makes it more challenging to opt back in because you're no longer living under the protocols that we live under each and every day. ... When they're not coming into our facility, when they're not doing that consistently, ... these guys know once you're not living under that it's hard ... not saying it's not possible, but it definitely presents challenge."

Was asked if he is fully transparent and open with the players, then why are the WRs saying what they're saying: "Like I said, it was disappointing some of those things were put out there. .. Everybody has a right to say (what they want to say)."

"I will say there are some aspects of what I have heard that are untrue. And at the end of the day I stand by the transparency of what we've had. This is who we are. It was disappointing to hear that, once again there is some disconnect."

"I don't want to speculate on each of those young men. Everybody has the opportunity (to opt out). We are operating in a voluntary fashion. ... the only thing we ask them to do is make sure we follow the proper protocols. ... It does take a lot of sacrifice for these young men and we ask them to embrace the challenge."

And that's a wrap for Norvell! Not a lot of football there, but a whole lot to unpack.
Players are coming up next. I doubt we'll be getting the WRs. Stay tuned to Warchant!

Still waiting to see which players we're going to get. Hang tight.
Looks like Josh Kaindoh is up first.

"I feel pretty good out there, pretty loose, fluid." Says that's been biggest difference in how he's performing.

"Honestly, the biggest thing I've been getting about the roundtable is that I need to get longer pants. My pants were pretty short .... I've been trying to focus on the main thing is being prepared for a possible season."

"It happened while I was at practice, so I don't even know what was said."

"I can only speak for myself, Joshua Kaindoh, personally I feel safe. And honestly if I didn't ... I wouldn't be here. I speak for myself. I'm just going to keep preparing ... hopefully the season happens."

Asked about if he's concerned players went to Twitter: "I can only speak for myself ... I feel safe. if somebody else doesn't, that's them. But everybody has a choice, you know?"

On his health: "Right now I'm feeling pretty, pretty good. I'm just really happy to be able to work out with the team, be back, not having anything holding me back. ... Keep my mind on getting better every time I play and stuff like that. Keep the standard the standard and doing everything I can."

And that's a wrap for Kaindoh. Aslan asked a solid question at the end, I thought, and Kaindoh swatted it like Mutombo. What can you do?

Jaiden Lars-Woodbey is supposed to be next person up.

"I honestly feel that the FSU coaching staff and training staff are both doing everything in their power to make sure we're safe and do the things necessary to make sure we play football this year. ... I think they have done a phenomenal job to make sure everyone is following protocol. ... I have a lot of trust in them. And I'm just thankful they're here."

"I felt like the post was needed because there's a lot of work that goes into everything, and I felt like there are certain people that don't get enough recognition ... I just really appreciate everything they've done. I can tell how much work, how much dedication, how much focus is put into their craft to make sure we're good."

"I can't really speak on what other people say, but I just felt like I needed to say my part. The coaches gave us an option to play and gave us an option to not play and they respected both of our positions. ... Boys do what they want to do, men do what they have to do. If we want to play football we have to follow the proper protocol. .... Coach Norvell even told us, if there are any questions we want to ask him on the side, we can do that. It was great communication on Coach Norvell's part, and I'm just grateful we have a great leader that is able to articulate himself ... I just feel like Coach Norvell has done a great job since he got here. Especially in this situation. ... And in the communication aspect I think he was being very meticulous in what he's talking about."

"I have to make sure I have a mask when I leave my apartment. Once we get here, we get our temperatures checked, answer a certain number of questions." Said masks are always on during meetings, treatment. On the field there are face shields, which are hot. There are hand sanitizer stations everywhere. ... Everyone is socially distanced in meetings ....

"I'm never going to knock a person for expressing their own opinion, because at the end of the day it's your opinion. ... I will say, make sure you know what you're doing. think about the aftermath of every tweet you make."

"I'm just going to continue to voice my opinion, and just let everyone know from my perspective what this university is doing for me. And I think the training staff and coaching staff are doing everything in their power." He then goes and mentions all the trainers by first name, "I'm truly grateful for everything they've done for me."

"I always consider myself a Swiss army knife. ... I'm confident in what this coaching staff has in store for me. Grateful to be back out there, everything we're doing we're on the right path to be successful."

That's a wrap for Jaiden Lars Woodbey. Dude is always impressive when he talks.
And that's a wrap for players.
Didn't figure we'd be getting too many, but kudos to FSU for giving us a couple. And for Norvell talking - at length - about what happened on Twitter this morning.
Don't give up, FSU fans. We're here for you. We always will be. Warchant.com is like the sun. It will always be there in the morning when you get up. So go enjoy the day. Go attack it! Go live your best life. As long as you stay connected to Warchant while you're doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News