ADVERTISEMENT

Tourism advice needed for Lake Wales

SeaPA

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Dec 17, 2002
I'm headed to exotic Lake Wales, FL this weekend; I need some advice from the LR travel gurus. Need to find a couple of great restaurants for dinner Friday & Saturday, along with any suggestions for good brewpubs (or maybe a nice wine bar for MrsSea). Any can't miss activities?

Try Spook Hill and Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales. You can always hit up Legoland in Winter Haven. Can't help with restaurants as there's not much there.

I've always found the Taco Bell on 60 to be exquisite. My son thinks the BBQ stand a little west of that is the best. However, the honey stand is pretty damned good

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I'm headed to exotic Lake Wales, FL this weekend; I need some advice from the LR travel gurus. Need to find a couple of great restaurants for dinner Friday & Saturday, along with any suggestions for good brewpubs (or maybe a nice wine bar for MrsSea). Any can't miss activities?

Truthfully there's not a lot there. However there is one hidden food gem, there's a taco truck called Taquaeria Mary's or something like that which is usually in or near the flea market. Seriously, it was hands down the best authentic Mexican I've had in Florida and probably by second favorite place ahead of Taco Bus in Tampa/St Pete and just behind Antojitos in Universals Citywalk. You can probably just pull over at a gas station and ask where the good taco truck is. It has fresh from scratch hortchatas, watermelon water and tamarindo plus great lengua and even really good offal tacos of various sorts. If you want ground beef go to the aforementioned Taco Bell. You want something that tops Taco Bus? Track down the taco truck. No joke.

Ha, I'm stuck going there this weekend for one of my son's baseball tournaments. I'll be stuck at the field much of the time so won't have time to go to Bok Tower; might buzz over to Spook Hill between games.
As for grub, the taqueria sounds interesting; I'd heard the little bbq shack is very good. Between games Saturday maybe I'll just go out to the 'hard road' & see which of the two I find first.

I posted this yesterday, but shut my computer before it made it to the page.

Bok Tower Gardens... that's all I got.

spook hill

Here are some haunted places in or near Lake Wales

There is a big skydiving center in Lake Wales, and I have spent about 30 weekends there, and I can say with absolute authority that it is a hole of a town with little worthwhile to see. I've eaten at most places and there isn't anything worth specifically pointing out, I'd say you will find sustenance but that's about it.

It's been a few years since I've been out there, let me ask my buddy who is still an instructor there and I'll post what she says.

I would suggest driving the 30 minutes to Lakeland, you can find a pretty good meal there.

Last edited:
Thanks Free & others. Friday I'll probably just eat a hotdog from the concession stand since we won't get there until closer to gametime. Saturday we play in the morning, then sit for a game, then play again. I'll go out somewhere for lunch, then go out somewhere for dinner after the 2nd game. Might try the steak joint since I do indeed love steak.

People laugh, but Bok Tower is absolutely woth the drive itself. It's beautiful and a very nice place to have a picnic lunch, a bottle of wine and relax.

Truthfully there's not a lot there. However there is one hidden food gem, there's a taco truck called Taquaeria Mary's or something like that which is usually in or near the flea market. Seriously, it was hands down the best authentic Mexican I've had in Florida and probably by second favorite place ahead of Taco Bus in Tampa/St Pete and just behind Antojitos in Universals Citywalk. You can probably just pull over at a gas station and ask where the good taco truck is. It has fresh from scratch hortchatas, watermelon water and tamarindo plus great lengua and even really good offal tacos of various sorts. If you want ground beef go to the aforementioned Taco Bell. You want something that tops Taco Bus? Track down the taco truck. No joke.

This guy, recommending the "taco truck," obviously just purchased stock in Immodium. Proceed with caution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT