ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Rules

wngillette

Contributor
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2015
Because of the talk about a Grad transfer QB and confusion among some posters wtih the new NCAA rules I though I ought to summarize this:

-Baseline eligibility:
You have 4 years of playing eligibility to be used in a 5 year span. The only way you get to the 5th year is with a redshirt... pretty straight forward.

-Baseline Transfer rule:
You must sit out one academic year if you are transferring from a FBS school to a FBS school. There is more to this rule (exceptions) but we will keep it at this because that is all we are really interested in at this time.

i.e. Bailey Hockman. He decided to transfer before the season and has to sit out for a year before enrolling at another FBS scholarship program. There is no restriction if he were to go to the Juco ranks (which he did). Even though he is playing in the Juco ranks his clock is ticking in his FBS eligibility suspension. After this season he is free to join whichever team he likes in the FBS ranks. *For those of you who keep mentioning Fields, he would fall in this category

-Graduate Transfer rules
If a player graduated and still has a year left of eligibility (you see this when players graduate early or on time with a redshirt) they are allowed to transfer to any school of their choice with no restriction.

i.e. Hurts, Bryant, Tate, most likely Francois

-New NCAA transfer rules
Basically created a centralized transfer pool that all coaches have access to. If a player requests a transfer from the school, they must enter him in and cannot block his request. Once the player is in the pool, any coach may contact him. This is to prevent coaches from trying to recruit active players behind an organizations back by giving the player more control.

-New redshirt rule
Im sure you have heard this one but a player can appear in up to 4 games and still be eligible to redshirt. This was to give coaches the ability to give young players experience and still redshirt them. Just so happened to work out very well for Kelly Bryant.

Reactions: FireInTheNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News