ADVERTISEMENT

Trivia question... (No cheating!)

NoleLizards

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2004
Cam Newton is attempting to become only the 2nd player (and first quarterback) ever to win a Heisman Trophy, a national championship in college, a Super Bowl, and a league MVP award. In fact, there's only 3 players as far as I can tell who have won a natty, a Heisman, and a Super Bowl. Can you name these guys? (If Newton does pull off the first since the only other one to do those 4 in a career, he also has a chance to tie the only man to do those 4 plus win a Super Bowl MVP!)

How about Paul Hornung? I'm totally guessing. No idea if he ever won a college NC or a league MVP. It's gotta be an offensive player that went to Alabama or Notre Dame though...that's my guess.

How about Paul Hornung? I'm totally guessing. No idea if he ever won a college NC or a league MVP. It's gotta be an offensive player that went to Alabama or Notre Dame though...that's my guess.
Hornung is a great guess, but oddly enough Notre Dame went 0-for for national championships in the 50's. (First Take would have had a field day with that one as Hornung beat out Jim Brown among others despite Notre Dame having a losing record in his Heisman year of '56!) Even more oddly, remember that Bama never won a Heisman until Mark Ingram!

The answer is actually pretty tough. The guy who did it was a back up as a freshman on a team that won the Coaches' (UPI) poll before winning the Heisman as a senior. He's definitely very well-known even to the casual fan, however.

Charles Woodson and Tony Dorsett are the two I can think of.

Charles Woodson and Tony Dorsett are the two I can think of.

Nice job...Those are the two that I found that won the Heisman, national championship, and Super Bowl without winning league MVP. One more hint on the one who did: After his team won the Super Bowl, then President Reagan told the player's head coach during the phone conversation that Moscow had asked him to disassemble this "secret weapon".

Marcus Allen?

Winner winner chicken dinner!

If any of you ever used to watch NFL Films back in the day, this Allen highlight from Super Bowl XVIII narrated by the late great John Facenda gives me chills....

Marcus Allen won his national championship with USC (UPI/Coaches' poll in 1978), the Heisman in '81, a Super Bowl (and game MVP) in '83/calendar year '84, and league MVP in '85.

Great trivia question. I only got it once you mentioned President Reagan. I would've been guessing all day otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT