ADVERTISEMENT

UF spring game

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
Really did not know what to expect....One thing you notice in their spring game is they recruited very well this past class. I personally don't think UF is going to be very good this upcoming season but their young players were impressive. Guys like Aidan Mizell, Shemar James, Kemari Wilson and Jakeem Jackson were all on the field and involved in the game. Here is my breakdown....

Quarterback - Graham Mertz / Jack Miller - Mertz will end up the starter. He does not do anything special but with UF receivers and backs, Mertz just has to limit the big mistakes. Don't get me wrong....Mertz is nothing special but with the strength of UF offense being the run game...They just need Mertz to be a game manager. The biggest issue with UF quarterbacks is neither can stretch the field.

Running Backs- Montrell Johnson, Trevor Etienne, Treyaun Webb and Cam Carroll- This is the strength of UF team. They have a loaded backfield. If they are going to have success on offense these guys need to have a big season. Etienne has a chance to be an elite player. I am impressed with their backfield.

Wide Receivers- Pearsall is a solid receiver. Really like what I saw out of freshman Aidan Mizell. He has NFL size and speed. His ability to stretch the field is impressive. Aidan biggest issue is who will get him the ball. Liked what I saw out of Marcus Burke. He had one of the touchdowns. Xzavier Henderson is a solid receiver. UF problem will be the passing game but not because of the receivers.

Tight End- UGH....This group is not very good.

Offensive Line- One thing about UF offensive line they look big...They also look big on the defensive line. Not a ton of depth but the starters should be fine. Not sure they can stay healthy in the SEC. They can run block. The pass blocking is tough to gauge as many times offensive lineman did their job but if the guy on defense broke through the play was whistled dead. This group as long as they stay healthy should be average at worst.

Defensive Line - Not sure if they had guys out but they had a ton of young guys making plays. Chris McClellan looks to be a good one. Desmond Watson is solid against the run. Jamari Lyons made a couple of tackles but he is only a freshman. Caleb Banks is at transfer but he is only a RFR.

Linebacker- Really like Shemar James. He will be one of the best linebackers in the country. Did not see many other guys stand out. Jack Pyburn did make a few plays.

Defensive Backs - Jason Marshall will be the star in the secondary. Jakeem Jackson, Bryce Thornton and Kamari Wilson are all going to end up pretty good. They recruited the secondary well.

Final Thoughts: UF has a few issues...1) QB....They just don't have one. Mertz will be a middle of the road starter. I do think they can be very good running the ball. Their receivers are going to be good over the next couple of seasons. The talent on defense looks good but young. This is a team that is still a year away. The question with Gator fans are they going to be patient. This could be a 5-6-7 win type season but you can see from scheme standpoint on defense, I like what I saw. Their new DC is probably going to end up good. Offensively the scheme is fine it is the players running it...especially at QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News